• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi pulling to the right

snowcatt

Hi
I have newer tracks one year old ,new bearings,all the tires are foam filled so I can’t adjust the tire pressure, and on the foam I would never foam anything but the 2 rear .anyway it pulled to the right you have to correct it every 100 yards
Someone said loosen the right and tighten the left .maybe one track stretched more than the other .
I would appreciate any ideas on thing to try .

when Fishing season is over I’m going to pull the tracks off and see what I can find

Thanks and have fun

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my experience is because the bombi is so short and the controlled differential works like an open differential when no steering action is applied they will walk one way or another there is no real fix for it.

nikos

Hi
I have newer tracks one year old ,new bearings,all the tires are foam filled so I can’t adjust the tire pressure, and on the foam I would never foam anything but the 2 rear .anyway it pulled to the right you have to correct it every 100 yards
Someone said loosen the right and tighten the left .maybe one track stretched more than the other .
I would appreciate any ideas on thing to try .

when Fishing season is over I’m going to pull the tracks off and see what I can find

Thanks and have fun

Its a Mathematical Problem.
Try to measure the dimensions of the sprocket outside and inside, beetween the Picth Circle and the Caliper Diameter (Right or Left) and of cource take a look in the Bearings.

Nikos

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
I think the idea of one track tighter or looser than the other, is that a tighter track has more drag (resistance to movement) than a looser track (less pressure on bearings ect) . That drag can act like applying a small amount of brake to that side constantly. Have you jacked it up and measured the track sag each side?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Drag can be it, but I have found that the flexitor angles being different from one side to the other makes a difference on the Bombi. Especially the front ones

snowcatt

Well after taking the tracks off and checking all the bearings .i made a tool to test the torque axles with a torque wrench .it took 90lbs to move them 3/4 “ except the second one on the right it took 30 lbs to move it 1/2
Torque axle had to be replaced
Going to test it tomorrow but I thing that was my problem

Have fun

alryA

Let us know how it goes. My experience with keeping these machines to go straight is that "its tough". The slightest extra snow or friction with make them go left or right. Maybe your Bombi is seriously pulling to one side but here is a little story. Many times this winter, I'd come out the the barn and cross a little field and seemed to me the machine was pulling to one side. Then we'd go into the woods for a section that's quite narrow, so narrow we'd occasionally knock trees down as we went, by the time we'd get to the trail we're suppose to groom, we'd not notice the pull to the side any longer. So I quit worrying about it as I'd cross that first 1K wide field. Not sure this help.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The differential splits torque like an open diff until you steer. When steering the tracks are locked in different butb fixed ratio . Combine that with the short tracks any resistance will make them wander. Things like side slope snow depth and density can have an effect. Check the braks arent dragging and all rolling resistancecis the same the rest will be the nature of the beast

olympicorange

,...… :thumbup: all valid points,...and all effect the operation for sure. always seems more noticeable on a ''two tracker'',... like a dozer or an excavator. as opposed to a ''four tracker'',... which they sometimes have the characteristics of an old pickup truck , that just had a ''lift kit'' installed,... they just ''wander'' all over the place.....lol . '' if i's nuts & bolts,.....''

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
a sponsor here had me look at the tracks by laying them on the ground. belting has a spine of sorts and tend to curve one way or the other.

don't be afraid to put left track on right side and right side track on left.....

Cured a modified 601 I sorted out once upon a time.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have driven a lot of bombies in my life Im not here to knock them every one I have ever driven leaves tracks that look like they were laied down by a drunk. im my mind its the nature of the beast. short track rigs like the bombie would be improved with a hydrostatic drive system I have found all the controlled differential rigs tend to run in lazy arc and the longer the track surface is on the ground the longer the arcs are. in the other hand the longer tracks tend to require a lot more force to steer and aren't real agile in tight spots. if the machine pulls real bad you may have a problem.