• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Funeral for Cora Scott King

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Why is it that those opposed to the president and his work can not get away from jabbing at him and his policies? At a funeral for this great lady, they still take jabs at him. For crying friggin out loud, he did not die, she did. Talk about the good she did after her husband was killed, and she took up his fight. What have we become if we can not keep the sanctity of a funeral, as it should be. A time to remember, mourn, and lift up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060208/pl_nm/king_dc

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
What I had seen of the whole funeral, it was nothing more than a political rally. To me a funeral should be a somber quiet time, one of rememberance, not cheering and clapping for those speaking.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
REDDOGTWO said:
What I had seen of the whole funeral, it was nothing more than a political rally. To me a funeral should be a somber quiet time, one of rememberance, not cheering and clapping for those speaking.

My thoughts exactly!! It is a shame that we have to bring politics into everything............

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't watch any of it but I had CNN radio playing (XM satellite plays CNN) all day in my office. The highlights that CNN focused on did include a couple political zingers, but for the most part, there were long, emotional and very touching speaches that celebrated her life and honored her. Most of what I heard was very positive and tasteful. But let's all be honest and admit that she did champion a cause that many folks associate with liberal causes, so it should come as no surprise that some liberal bias would slip out of some of the speakers mouths. I prefer to think of racial equality as a conservative cause, after all the 'party of Lincoln' led the charge to free the slaves and unite the states.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,

Thank you for a better description than the yahoo news reported. It really bothers me that ANY political bs would be used in ANY funeral. I did not see it, just what I read, guess I should know better.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Yahoo news report started right off with a shot about Jimmy Carter's comment, but really there were literally hours of personal stories and accounts that had nothing to do with politics. Much of it was actually emotionally moving. Much of it was entertaining and humorous. And I believe all of it was tasteful.

OkeeDon

The so-called "Liberal" media zoomed in and drilled down to the only moments of the service that might have been controversial. Just proves that the media is not as liberal as the right wing likes to claim. For example, CNN is often cited on this forum as one of the liberal networks; yet as I was typing this, they had a feature on poltics at the funeral in which, 2 days later, the only things they showed was Rev Joe Lowery, Jimmy Carter and GHW Bush. I'll be filing this one away to drag out later the next time someone blames the fumbles of the right on the liberal media.

Bob, your party was not only the party of Lincoln, but as recently as Eisenhower they were defending the right of minority students to attend public school. At that time, Southern Democrats like George Wallace, Strom Thurmond and Hughey Long were the dedicated opponents of racial equality. However, beginning with Nixon and accelerating with the Reagon crowd, your party underwent fundamental changes that led it to the present ignominy. One of the signs of this change was the number of bigots who changed their party from Democrat to Republican, because they found a home there.

To be fair, the Democratic party also underwent significant changes at roughly the same time, in which minorities gained a greater voice, which made it less of a home for the prejudiced southerners.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, funny how differently we see things. I totally agree that the press is focusing in on 5 minutes out of 6+ hours of speakers. But it seems that the 5 minutes of focus are proof of liberal bias, as most of what I heard yesterday after the funeral and still today is that they are focusing on the "jabs at Bush" which seems more of a liberal bias than a conservative one.

If the press was to be more level handed, it seems that the press would have made more of the fact that the Democratic President (Kennedy) and Democratic A/G (Kennedy) issued the orders to wiretap & spy on Dr King and his family and their activity rather than somehow creating a link between the King wiretaps and the Bush administrations Al Queda wiretaps. So perhaps when President Carter spoke about that, the press might have focused their cameras on Senator Ted Kennedy and indicated that his relatives were the ones who were to blame.

As for the tie that Republicans are a party of bigots, I totally reject that. I beleive the Republicans are a party that is anti-quota and anti-affirmative action as it has been bastardized into a quota system, and that is a lot different than being a bigot. But I don't suggest that bigots are not members of the party, I'm sure there are many bigots in both parties.

OkeeDon

B_Skurka said:
Don, funny how differently we see things. I totally agree that the press is focusing in on 5 minutes out of 6+ hours of speakers. But it seems that the 5 minutes of focus are proof of liberal bias, as most of what I heard yesterday after the funeral and still today is that they are focusing on the "jabs at Bush" which seems more of a liberal bias than a conservative one.
You're saying the same thing I was. Of course it's proof of a liberal bias by the speakers; my reference was that it was the so-called liberal media that was reporting the liberal bias. It proves that the media isn't as liberal as claimed by the right.

If the press was to be more level handed, it seems that the press would have made more of the fact that the Democratic President (Kennedy) and Democratic A/G (Kennedy) issued the orders to wiretap & spy on Dr King and his family and their activity rather than somehow creating a link between the King wiretaps and the Bush administrations Al Queda wiretaps.
And, in fact, Jeff Greenfield, the political analyst on CNN, did exactly that. He should know; he was a political writer for Robert Kennedy at the time. Yet, he was entirely even handed in reporting the wire tapping. Carter's remarks were facts. There was no reference to the Bush administration. If the right saw a link and felt some pressure, it must be their guilt showing.

As for the tie that Republicans are a party of bigots, I totally reject that. I beleive the Republicans are a party that is anti-quota and anti-affirmative action as it has been bastardized into a quota system, and that is a lot different than being a bigot. But I don't suggest that bigots are not members of the party, I'm sure there are many bigots in both parties.
You're putting words in my mouth, I didn't say the Republican party was a party of bigots. If you got that inference from what I said, it must be your own concerns that are poking their way out of your subconscious.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OkeeDon said:
And, in fact, Jeff Greenfield, the political analyst on CNN, did exactly that. He should know; he was a political writer for Robert Kennedy at the time. Yet, he was entirely even handed in reporting the wire tapping. Carter's remarks were facts. There was no reference to the Bush administration. If the right saw a link and felt some pressure, it must be their guilt showing.
CNN, ABC and NBC (didn't watch CBS or FOX) all made the connection later in the day. No guilt showing as you suggest, the connection was made by the newscasters.
OkeeDon said:
You're putting words in my mouth, I didn't say the Republican party was a party of bigots. If you got that inference from what I said . . .
Don, this is what you wrote, I think the inference was established.
OkeeDon said:
One of the signs of this change was the number of bigots who changed their party from Democrat to Republican, because they found a home there.

OkeeDon

B_Skurka said:
Don, this is what you wrote, I think the inference was established.

Originally Posted by OkeeDon
One of the signs of this change was the number of bigots who changed their party from Democrat to Republican, because they found a home there.
Bob, that's nonsense. I plainlhy said that bigots joined the party; I did not say -- or even infer -- that it was a party of bigots. How many bigoted Democrats changed their party affiliation? Did they become a majority in the Republican party after they changed? I think not. Again, you put words in my mouth. My words mean exactly what they say; no more or no less; do not twist them, or look for inferences. I say exactly what I mean; I do not infer. Any inference you get from my words springs directly from your own feelings about the subject.

Now, I will admit to wording things to see if those deeply hidden fears and guilts can be prodded out; I think I'm unusually successful at that. But, they're your inferences, not mine.

FlyShyts

REDDOGTWO said:

When they had rosa Parks funeral it was the same way.Turned a 2 hour funeral into a 10 hour rally...

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OkeeDon said:
your party underwent fundamental changes that led it to the present ignominy. One of the signs of this change was the number of bigots who changed their party from Democrat to Republican, because they found a home there.

Totally out of line! Why defend your bigot statement when your definition of the Republicans was much worse. Nutless and hypocritical Democrats demonstrate disgrace much more fittingly! Disgrace is a president getting caught with a bobber under his desk!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Big Dog said:
Totally out of line! Why defend your bigot statement when your definition of the Republicans was much worse. Nutless and hypocritical Democrats demonstrate disgrace much more fittingly! Disgrace is a president getting caught with a bobber under his desk!

...or the current behavior of Barbra Boxer, Chuck Schumer and Theodore Kennedy. Did any of you see any of their displays at the judicial hearings? Or more recently, the --I don't know what to call it -- thrown against Alberto Gonzales, absolutely disgraceful.

:thumb: Keep it up, folks. Just goes to prove that Liberalism IS a Mental Disorder.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Alright, I apologize for starting this. MY ONLY point was that POLITICS have NO PLACE in this service for this woman. I dont give a damn WHO did what, it does not belong, period.

PS, bet at the wake they would not get by with it...........wind up a bunch of whipped ass polly's on the street corner licking the wounds.

And for the record, my funeral will be a party big time! I aint done nothing worth getting all mushie about, so party ON@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.