• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What sort of jar is this?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought this jar at a small antique shop a few days ago.
Anyone know what the original use was for it?
The young gal working there could tell me nothing much about it, and told me to return this week and ask someone else.
I'm not about to drive back to Indiana to find out that info :tongue:

Attachments

• Picture 3381.jpg
    Picture 3381.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Picture 3380.jpg
    Picture 3380.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 181

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
There were so many jars produced by some many small companies across the country that it would be very difficult to determine for what this particular jar was made. Any foundry marks on the bottom?

Meanwhile, putting on my Sherlock hat...It's clear glass, so it probably wasn't made for booze or medicine. It has a leaf design which suggests it may have been for a food item, probably pickled or preserved. It has a wide mouth, so I'm leaning toward pickles. The cap looks like it came from a lantern, so I'd say it's unrelated to the jar and someone at the antique shop matched them up because it fit and looked 'cute'.

edit - after following CGs link, I've decided she's correct and I'm burning my Sherlock hat. :smileywac

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Me thinks it is an actual old candy dish. Does the top look like you can screw a lid on it or is it just smooth. Take a pic of it without the top.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There were so many jars produced by some many small companies across the country that it would be very difficult to determine for what this particular jar was made. Any foundry marks on the bottom?

Meanwhile, putting on my Sherlock hat...It's clear glass, so it probably wasn't made for booze or medicine. It has a leaf design which suggests it may have been for a food item, probably pickled or preserved. It has a wide mouth, so I'm leaning toward pickles. The cap looks like it came from a lantern, so I'd say it's unrelated to the jar and someone at the antique shop matched them up because it fit and looked 'cute'.
No marks on it anywhere, which is the first thing I noticed.
Hey, I only paid $20 for it finding it charming to add to my kitchen.
Yes.. it will look cute when I put some greenery, dried bittersweet and tiny lights inside it. :)
Thanks Sherlock :yum:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
Hey, I only paid $20 for it finding it charming to add to my kitchen.
<snip>

$20!!! My God, woman! You could have gone to the supermarket and bought a jar just like it for much less....and it would have come with pickles!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
$20!!! My God, woman! You could have gone to the supermarket and bought a jar just like it for much less....and it would have come with pickles!!!
I didn't want pickles, peter piper, I wanted THEE jar,sans the pickled peppers I could have picked.. pfffffffft!
:hide:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

D

darroll

I agree with a earlier post:
If it had a hole in the lid, you could put a candle in it.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I say its a jar made of heated sand:

Sand is made of minerals and tiny pieces of rock that have come from the erosion and weathering of rocks. The composition of sand varies from place to place depending on the sources and conditions of the local rocks.

The most common constituent of sand in inland continental settings (e.g. deserts) and non-tropical coastal settings (e.g. beaches), is silica (silicon dioxide SiO2), often in the form of quartz.

Arkose is a sand or sandstone with a high content of feldspar (an Aluminum Silicate), usually derived from the weathering and erosion of nearby granite.

Much of the fine white sand found in coral reef settings is ground-up coral (limestone) that has passed through the digestion system of the parrot fish.

Some places have sands that contain magnetite, clays, chlorite, glauconite, or gypsum. Sands rich in magnetite are dark to black in color. The chlorite - glauconite bearing sands are typically a green color. The gypsum sand dunes of the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico are famous for their white color.

Sand deposits in some areas contain garnets and other resistant minerals including some gemstones.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Well, y'all have had alot of fun with this jar (and each other in the process)

Some observations. As was stated earlier. the jar and the lid are not a married couple and are living out of wedlock...:nono2: The lid is smaller that the jar opening. (How many times have we heard that, fellas?) Alas tis true. So, the bottom line is...if it made you happy, it's worth what ever you paid for it!:flowers:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, y'all have had alot of fun with this jar (and each other in the process)

Some observations. As was stated earlier. the jar and the lid are not a married couple and are living out of wedlock...:nono2: The lid is smaller that the jar opening. (How many times have we heard that, fellas?) Alas tis true. So, the bottom line is...if it made you happy, it's worth what ever you paid for it!:flowers:
Gosh Cowboy, I'm glad you know about these things lol
yeah, when I saw it, I just thought it was kinda cool looking, so I bought it.
Doesn't matter much to me if the lid and the jar itself weren't originally together.
It's one of those interesting pieces I see from time to time and say Hey!! I'll buy that and do __ with it:smile:
Right now it's full of dried herbs (winter savory to be exact) but I'll use it for what I said above within the next few weeks as a fall decorative on my kitchen counter ;)