• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is this a hacker trying to steal my ID?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the following email last evening. I fell for it. I clicked on the yellow button and it took me to an ebay sign in screen where I typed my password to sign into EBAY to respond to this guy. Then I got to thinking it was very odd. So I went back to Ebay and immediately changed my password. From the time I typed my password to the time I changed it was probably 2 minutes or less, so I'm pretty confident that if this is a scam he didn't have time to do anything. But I'm usually very cautious about stuff like this but this one was so legit looking that I fell for it. Or is it legit?

BTW, I never bid on anything from this guy. :confused2: If it is a scam, and I think it is, then it is the best one I have seen.

Attachments

• 1attachment.jpg
    1attachment.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 204

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
eBay sent this message to Boob Skurka (Imafanatic).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Yes....... it was someone trying to steal your account information. Very common. If you get a e mail that has your eBay name on it along with your real name as it is registered with eBay, then you are fairly sure that it is an authentic email. eBay sent this message to Boob Skurka (Imafanatic).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more
At all times, you should just go the the eBay site and then sign in. Go your "My eBay" and there is a section called "My Messages". In there, you will find copies of all messages sent to you and by you to other eBay members. That is the only certain way to not be had. After a while, you will learn what a real message looks like vs. a spoof email. Always forward the false ones to spoof@ebay.com and the same for PayPal ones. They go to spoof@paypal.com.
PS..... thanks for the password.... Junk.....:yankchain:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, I really get tired of these scam attempts. I constantly get emails very similar to what you posted. I used to use eBay quite often. Now, I only use it a few times per year. What I see as the reason for the extreme increase in criminal activity is because eBay doesn't do shit to stop it. As long as they receive their fees, can't be sued, they don't give a rat's ass if you are totally screwed. They simply blame you for being stupid. In my book, that makes them a fertile breeding ground for crime.

I never thought I'd say it, but eBay really sucks!! They have made their millions and couldn't possibly care less about anything other than covering their ass. As long as they make it appear as if they are try to deter crime, they feel they are okay. With no down side, criminals just keep on hitting eBay members.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As much as we use EBAY for making business purchases and other things, I have found that EBAY really makes it difficult to report bad auctions, file complaints, etc.

I think that if they don't clean up their own act they will implode under the corruption of the people who abuse the systems.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
As much as we use EBAY for making business purchases and other things, I have found that EBAY really makes it difficult to report bad auctions, file complaints, etc.

That is exactly my point. I've been on eBay since early 1997. I was one of the first 300 users. There wasn't trouble for a long time. I originally joined there to buy and sell firearms. They have long since banned doing that. :mad: However, my main complaint is that they intentionally make it difficult to report a bogus auction or file any complaint. I've even gone so far as to get their "super secret" phone number and call them to complain about this fact. (just try to call eBay; I challange you!!!) They had absolutely no desire to put a "notify eBay of possible fraud" button or link on auctions. As long as they can collect their listing fee, they don't give a shit.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I've even gone so far as to get their "super secret" phone number and call them to complain about this fact. (just try to call eBay; I challange you!!!).

That sounds exactly like Amazon.com.. bastards sent me a broken TV.. it was a Xmas present for the Mrs. How to go through the CC company & dispute the charges.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dargo said:
Yup, I really get tired of these scam attempts. I constantly get emails very similar to what you posted. I used to use eBay quite often. Now, I only use it a few times per year. What I see as the reason for the extreme increase in criminal activity is because eBay doesn't do shit to stop it. As long as they receive their fees, can't be sued, they don't give a rat's ass if you are totally screwed. They simply blame you for being stupid. In my book, that makes them a fertile breeding ground for crime.

I never thought I'd say it, but eBay really sucks!! They have made their millions and couldn't possibly care less about anything other than covering their ass. As long as they make it appear as if they are try to deter crime, they feel they are okay. With no down side, criminals just keep on hitting eBay members.

There ought to be a law!!!!!!:cool2: