• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sun Scald on Fig Trees

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone ever whitewash their fig trees?

This is the first of two trees with damage.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 30
  • tree1_1.jpg
    tree1_1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 30
  • tree1_2.jpg
    tree1_2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 30

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the other one. I'll try to paint them with dilluted latex paint today, since it's warmed back up and dry.

Attachments

• tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 30
  • tree2_1.jpg
    tree2_1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 31
  • tree2_2.jpg
    tree2_2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 31

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One more picture of the second tree.
After the leaves drop during cold weather the sun warms the bark during the day and then when it gets colder at night the bark splits. Supposedly whitewashing will help to prevent this damage.

Attachments

• tree2_3.jpg
    tree2_3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 31

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Glenn, your fig trees look different to ours. Ours are more tree-like, a single trunk to a branchy top.
Are there several varieties, or do your grow yours like that for a reason?

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I already have some leftover white exterior latex and thought I'd dilute a bit and paint them with that. I mentioned "whitewash" I guess because that's the term I've heard all my life for this situation.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Mith, this picture of my fig tree was taken about this time last year. Neither my wife nor I eat figs, so we had no idea the branches had gotten so high that nobody could pick the figs off of them. My neighbors informed me of this and I trimmed it back this year.

Attachments

• P1010100 (Medium).JPG
    P1010100 (Medium).JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 18

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
This picture is after I cut it back and the leaves had grown.

Attachments

• P1010038 (Medium).JPG
    P1010038 (Medium).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 18