• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hey WayBomb, come dock this boat...

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtC2FI81OuE"]Please... [/ame]

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to dock my 27 foot Tanzer via the wind all the time. It was against the harbor rules but I left the auxilary runniing (in nuetral) and did it anyway. The trick was to come to a stop in the slip without having to fend off.

Managment of momentum and the forces of nature.

Sailboaters get it,Stinkpot power boaters don't.:whistling:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never did like "Monaco parking". I understand it being such a small area but banging million dollar craft into each other just seems wrong to me.

When I (used to) pull into areas where they were parked like that (beach bars on Lake Erie), I'd just stay 50-100 yards away and drop anchor.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Monaco berthing has advantages. Stern entry being the most. I liked it for my power boats. Really hated to go backwards in a shallow harbor with the sail craft. Deep rudders and center boards aren't built to hit anything in reverse.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to dock my 27 foot Tanzer via the wind all the time. It was against the harbor rules but I left the auxilary runniing (in nuetral) and did it anyway. The trick was to come to a stop in the slip without having to fend off.

Managment of momentum and the forces of nature.

Sailboaters get it,Stinkpot power boaters don't.:whistling:

Bloboaters don't get that they are ragbaggers. Walk with a 22 degree list. Hair growing outa their ears and nose and other places. Usually torn clothes. Shoes that have flop-tops, probably pulled from a real boater's garbage can. Drinking Chardonnay, on clearance sale only. vessel never polished. Bird shit all over. mast rigging looser than a goose clanking all night. Always looking for someone to pull them off the bottom since they use their exceptional navigation skill-set so well.

If it weren't my boat, I wouldn't do it. If it were mine, I would. I docked my 42 (48ft) all the time with, against, abeam, etc wind. I always backed in. I took it easy, dead stop often. Often letting the wind put me where I wanted to be then backed it in. Not a scratch, ever. Weekdays when there was little traffic, I'd practice docking for hours. I could put my boat anywhere I wanted.

Bloboaters think they know it all. Phht. The wind is free and so is everything else. Cheap mooching mfers. How does bouncing a 27 foot boat with a big ass keel off of wood pilings have anything to do with 100 foot multi million dollar yacht, parking between a couple of others, going down a fairway with many more?

ARGGHHH! Ya scurvy dog pompous gasbag! To the bilge rats with ya!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Bloboaters don't get that they are ragbaggers. Walk with a 22 degree list. Hair growing outa their ears and nose and other places. Usually torn clothes. Shoes that have flop-tops, probably pulled from a real boater's garbage can. Drinking Chardonnay, on clearance sale only. vessel never polished. Bird shit all over. mast rigging looser than a goose clanking all night. Always looking for someone to pull them off the bottom since they use their exceptional navigation skill-set so well.

If it weren't my boat, I wouldn't do it. If it were mine, I would. I docked my 42 (48ft) all the time with, against, abeam, etc wind. I always backed in. I took it easy, dead stop often. Often letting the wind put me where I wanted to be then backed it in. Not a scratch, ever. Weekdays when there was little traffic, I'd practice docking for hours. I could put my boat anywhere I wanted.

Bloboaters think they know it all. Phht. The wind is free and so is everything else. Cheap mooching mfers. How does bouncing a 27 foot boat with a big ass keel off of wood pilings have anything to do with 100 foot multi million dollar yacht, parking between a couple of others, going down a fairway with many more?

ARGGHHH! Ya scurvy dog pompous gasbag! To the bilge rats with ya!

I had no idea you were ever on my boat. Completely missed it. I gotta stop drinking that whisky in the square cans.

BTW That wasn't 100 feet of million dollar yacht the crew was fending off by hand was it? Real salts them. No desrespect meant to the pilot at the helm but he had bow thrusters as well.

Power boaters,,,,push the stick & turn the wheel. Seamanship?:whistling:

Fun to watch them all scatter when the breeze kicks up over twenty knots.. That's when my 12,000 lb 27 footer got happy. And we had the water all to ourselves.

You are right about rag boaters being tightwads though. Poorest tippers at the bar and never pay retail for anything. So they say.

Last edited:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, a bloboat goes how fast?

Everything is in slow motion.

Yup, real difficult piloting a bloboat at 4 knots with all the weight and giant keel keeping the boat going straight.

Even then.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkqKpnU8sCE&list=PL74986ADB581822C5"]Terrific Boat Crash accident - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-CKbd76CM"]Boat Crash - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjp62xjwkyw"]Tennessee Chainsaw Massacre Regatta - J22 Sailboat Race, Sailing Crashes - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wS3rAlkG8I"]Sailboat Crashes into Dock and destroys it! - YouTube[/ame]

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The tug of war between blowboats and go boats is eternal. Frankly I own both and love each one. Really hard to go skiing behind the Sloop although the wave board worked well for the kids under sail.

Your vids are cute but they simply prove that not everyone in a sailboat is a seaman. Not everyone pilotiing a power craft is a skipper either. And when go boats bump, really bad things happen.
That J boat vid was very normal for racing. Those guys play dirty chicken all day.

BTW 12 knots was max speed for the Tanzer. Although under sail and auxilary it made 16 knots. Sailboats don't bob either. Unlike power boats, they have mass and are steadied by the mast and the keel. So they move gently and slowly.Even at anchor. I love being lulled to sleep by the halyards slapping the mast and the berth rolling gently like momma's womb. Go boats kinda jump around at night unless they are pigboats.

Butwiththemother ship anchored offshore, or in a gunkhole, for a week end the Ski boat is fun to skip quickly over the waves for ice and fresh beer. So we have both.

My wife and I love to charter 50-60 foot sloops for week long barefoots in the Windwards. It is nice knowing that our range is not limited by the capacity of the fuel tanks below decks. And with Carribean fuel running over $6.00 a gallon I'm glad to go slow between the Grenadines and Tobago Keys.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, well I have a canoe, so there. BTW, it also has a sail and a motor so I can do it all.

Kane

Nah, just imagine blowing into Baltimore harbor with a 100' sloop ... in 1850. Now that was seamanship.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, well I have a canoe, so there. BTW, it also has a sail and a motor so I can do it all.
I have a 17ft. fishing boat in the barn. Trolling motor and a 7.5 Evinrude and oars will take it anywhere. Need to sell it and make room as I have not had it on the water in 7 years. Keep the motor in the basement and pull it once in a while to keep things freed up.:hammer:

Heh, heh. Sailboat racing? That would be an oxymoron, I believe.

I always figured that you needed more hp than ft. I got a 14ft. alumiboat with a 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke (and oars). It has more power than a trout, so there's enough to go lake fishin' with.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are two facts. They are actual facts, not opinion; you may draw your own conclusions.

1) The Coast Guard trains its officers in seamanship, navigation, and ship handling on board the Barque USCGC Eagle, which is of
course a sailing ship
2) Coast Guard officers are noted by seagoing professionals everywhere as the world's best ship handlers

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are two facts. They are actual facts, not opinion; you may draw your own conclusions.

1) The Coast Guard trains its officers in seamanship, navigation, and ship handling on board the Barque USCGC Eagle, which is of
course a sailing ship
2) Coast Guard officers are noted by seagoing professionals everywhere as the world's best ship handlers

Yes, but can they berth the Eagle Monaco style under it's own propulsion?

I am willing to bet they can,,,,and if so,,,,,, I would pay good money to see that.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, but can they berth the Eagle Monaco style under it's own propulsion?

I am willing to bet they can,,,,and if so,,,,,, I would pay good money to see that.

Eagle's 2013 cruise schedule is available on-line, so you could probably get to a port where she'll be ... but there is no way
(that I know about) for anyone to guarantee she'll be berthed Monaca style at any given port.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Eagle's 2013 cruise schedule is available on-line, so you could probably get to a port where she'll be ... but there is no way
(that I know about) for anyone to guarantee she'll be berthed Monaca style at any given port.

For the record it is possible to accomplish. Especialy with Sprit sail, jibs and square sail rigging.

However, due to the costs of failure, I'm betting their liability insurance won't allow it.

Sailers can move their boats with the rigging, wind and currents. ower boaters need fuel and technologies.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Heh, heh. Sailboat racing? That would be an oxymoron, I believe. I always figured that you needed more hp than ft.

Yup, I agree. To the extreme. About 60hp per foot makes me happy.
"Racing" at 15 knots? Crap, I'm not on plane till about 35. 50mph is at about 2800 rpm once popped out of the water. 5700 rpm is a blast.

Docking - a 2 minute deal. Phhhtt.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
For the record it is possible to accomplish. Especialy with Sprit sail, jibs and square sail rigging.

However, due to the costs of failure, I'm betting their liability insurance won't allow it.

Sailers can move their boats with the rigging, wind and currents. ower boaters need fuel and technologies.

I was aware that it was possible. My career on the water started with a fascination with sailing; first on little Moth
class boats and working my up through E-class, J-class, and Hampton One-Designs. If you want to have fun some day
(depending on your idea of "fun") try single-handing a boat with running back stays! (I only did that once, okay? I'm
a little crazy, not stupid!)

crazy

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I was aware that it was possible. My career on the water started with a fascination with sailing; first on little Moth
class boats and working my up through E-class, J-class, and Hampton One-Designs. If you want to have fun some day
(depending on your idea of "fun") try single-handing a boat with running back stays! (I only did that once, okay? I'm
a little crazy, not stupid!)

crazy

My Tanzer has twin backstays with a pulley Block set that allows for mast trim under sail. Three Quater rig allows us to bend the mast to flatten the Mainsal. It let's one point upwind another 3 to 5 degrees when the air is stiff.

My wife single handled the boat many times but we only used the device when racing. She won far more trophys than me.

Racing a sailboat is complicated and far more physical than a power boat. Any ole fat blarney spewing bilge rat with enough money in their craft can point and go fast. More money, more trophy's..

Sailboat racing is more tactical. On the"J"boat footage Bzoom posted, there were several scenes of apparent confusion when a competitor came up on the windward side of the camera boat. That wasn't sloppy steerage,that was wind shadowing to cut the speed of the camera boat. Thumps and bumps are risky but normal tactics. Especialy in the smaller craft.

If you are not physicaly fit then pour cash into a go boat and push the stick to go.

Angie Dickenson once remarked that her sail boat shaved 20 lbs off her frame and kept her entire body toned. She didn't need to exercise so long as she sailed. My wife and I stopped sailing regularly about 10 years ago. We both put on pounds.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are not physicaly fit then pour cash into a go boat and push the stick to go.

... and all you do on a blow boat is get on set the sail sit back and let the wind do the work. Right? :yum: :bonk:

Neither statement is accurate but hey you started it. :yum: :poke:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
None of you guys have any idea what a real boat is like. I sail this on my pond, living the life of luxury.

RedNeckYacht.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
... and all you do on a blow boat is get on set the sail sit back and let the wind do the work. Right? :yum: :bonk:

Neither statement is accurate but hey you started it. :yum: :poke:

I do not know of any sail craft which functions that easily. I know hundreds of guys with big bucks, big boats and compensation issues.

One thing is true, once theboat is set, trimmed and running, tie off the tiller and pour a drink. nothing to do but listen to the bow wave and the the wind as your vesselmakes way. Not Motor thumping away, no stinkt exhaust not bouncy boncy. Just smoooooooooooth sailin'

One the other hand, my favorite sensation on the water (save slolam skiing) is the surge when a power boat leaps out of the water and gets up on plane. That is just cool.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My point is boats take a lot of work prior to pushing the throttle forward. I'm sure there are those who can afford to pay someone to to all the work and all they do it throttle up, or ride their sail boat while someone else does the work but that sure is not the majority of either type of boater.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My point is boats take a lot of work prior to pushing the throttle forward. I'm sure there are those who can afford to pay someone to to all the work and all they do it throttle up, or ride their sail boat while someone else does the work but that sure is not the majority of either type of boater.

Probably is so on the OP. I seriously doubt someone who owns a boat like that ever scrubs the hull. You are right, both types of craft take lots of pre voyage work. But making way in a sailboat is far more intense effort than a power boat.

That is why our Navies no longer use sail.

The rivalry betweenthe two fleets, as it were, has been severe ssince Fulton tied paddles to a steam driven crankshaft. Personaly, I enjoy both worlds with equal zest. Both are populated with idiots of equal entertaining value. And accomplished seamen.

Last edited:

RedRocker

My boat is the smallest money hole I've owned, no battery, rope start, put it in the water & go. It's a bit limited on ocean travel and pulling skiers though.