• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Back to the days of yester years!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My main computer needs a new power supply or at least a fan for it. You could smell it getting hot and I boosted it with a blast of canned air to get it going after cleaning the tower the other day. Next time I fired it up it did not stink but it sure ain't up to speed as the hard drive temp hit 115. So I fired up the old beast in the basement. Good god almighty. The last I fired it up and updated windows was Dec. of 2011. I have Netscape on it for the browser and email client. So spent the past 2 days trying to get it up to speed. The windows update gave me a fit till I turned off the windows firewall and automatic updates. Got 34 out of 40 installed and will look the others that did not load over to see if I really need them. Then Firefox, Thunderbird and migrate all the bookmarks and email addys etc. Quite a difference as this was a Win98 machine that I loaded XP Pro on in 2005. I think I bought it in 98 and did various upgrades and put a real nice cd burner in it. Back in the good old days of Napster. LOL. Did I mention it is 14 years old and slow as hell? And the friggin keyboard is flat and all scrunched up?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still using a 10 yr old Gateway w/ XP. Still fast enough for me, of course I'm just "half fast".
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Until a few months ago I could have matched you. I was using all kinds of cobbled together junk and leftovers. Now, I'm sitting in front of a new HP, 23" All-In-One. Life is good. :clap::clap::clap:

To be honest, because of the internet connection, it's not a lot faster than the old junk but it sure is perty!!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still using a 10 yr old Gateway w/ XP. Still fast enough for me, of course I'm just "half fast".
Mike

12 year old Dell at 140 htz and Windows/xp. New 200 gig HD drive years ago and lots of RAM added years ago for kids games. They call it the dinasaur these days.. Dad has the POS like usual...:glare:

The good thing is it's soo slow I am the only one who likes to use it...

Regards, Kirk

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Until a few months ago I could have matched you. I was using all kinds of cobbled together junk and leftovers. Now, I'm sitting in front of a new HP, 23" All-In-One. Life is good. :clap::clap::clap:

To be honest, because of the internet connection, it's not a lot faster than the old junk but it sure is perty!!!!

Why not get wild blue exceed and you will be flying high!!!! it works great for mom and I....:wink:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Why not get wild blue exceed and you will be flying high!!!! it works great for mom and I....:wink:

Way back when I was looking into these things I talked to 3 people around me who had Wildblue and they weren't very happy with it. They said that the Wildblue satellite was running at capacity and the speed was disappointing with lots of dropouts. I think that they've launched another satellite since then so things have probably improved.

I also talked to Hughes Net but got crossways with them and told them to piss off. They kept on telling me what and how they were going to do the installation for me and wouldn't listen to what I actually wanted. It was a "This is how WE do it. Take it or leave it". I left it.

No, we'll get by with our Wi-Fi connection for just now. Remember , we upgraded from the dial-up that we had for almost 10 years and this is about 30 to 50 times faster depending on traffic. It's really not fast eneough to stream video without buffering or to play games but we don't do that anyway.

I may just have to check out Wildblue again.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
ETF......
we had dial up for a while and out here it was ...SLOW..!!!we went with Hughes and man did we have problem with them....we went with wild blue and have realy enjoied using them...we switched to exceed service andsure like it we cut our cost by half and uped our speed....we have the 10-gigabit plan and if I want to listen to music...like Tom t halls....The day they elected a monky to president...we can get on from midnight to 0500 local time and it is free....the gigs you use during that timeis at no cost!!! you might look into it...we sure like it.....

Oh and JEV...I got it snuck on!!!!! I doo like Tom T Hall and his songs!!!! He speaks the cold hard truth!!!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Back in the good old days of Napster.

Oh I remember those days very well. We had just got broadband cable and I was downloading MP3's to beat the band. I can thank my huge Beatle's collection to Napster. Those were fun days sharing music that is for sure.