• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp carburetor

mwolfca

Hey everyone I have been hit and miss with the Imp I fixed last year now the carb has decided to cause me heart burn. Does anyone know of a reliable source for Solex carb rebuild kits? If I get this thing running again I'll post a video, but the carb is stuck wide open so much fuel its crazy. I went so far as to clamp off the fuel line just to get it home and parked.

Dr. Zaugg

You could call Treadwell Carburetor company in Treadwell New York. I have used them for extremely hard to fix carbs. I think they are the best. 607-829-8321
Paul

mwolfca

Thanks for the advise.

I think I will see about getting a Weber for it instead. Anyone have a Weber model number for the replacement of the old Solex?

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm told that a Weber 34ICH is a good alternative and you can get one for $159.95 at www.webercarbsdirect.com. I've heard some bad things about the original Solex carbs on the Imp (e.g., the brass fuel inlet pipe is prone to falling out of the carb body, spraying fuel all over the engine compartment) and am planning to replace mine with a Weber in the fall. A few things to be aware of:

• This model comes with a manual choke, so you'll either need to rig a cable or add an electric choke conversion kit.
  • I'm not sure how this might impact the throttle linkage.
  • I've heard that you also need to add a spacer between the carb and the manifold to make everything fit.
If you do the conversion then let me know how everything works out -- I'd love to be able to learn from your experience.

Ron

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was shopping for a different carb for mine. The Previous owner stated that his mechanic wrote the solex off as bad. I took it off and fully disassembled anything I could and then I cleaned each possible passage with Q tips, Torch cleaning tips and air pressure. (they are very simple) When I put it back on it did not seem to sit right on the base. I lifted it back off to find a washer literally pressed into the manifold. )vacuum leak) Put the washer back where it goes and it idles properly.

Free up an hour of your life and get a can of carb cleaner. YOu might be surprised.

There was one O ring that you need to watch for when you lift the top off the carb. I dropped mine and needed a run to town for a o-ring.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Update:

Went to get the imp out. dumped in fuel.
It cranked and lit up.
Won't idle right.
Spent a hour of my life going thru the carb Again and it purrs like a kitten and revs great.

FWIWorth
Dropped that damn o ring again and went back to town as spent .98$ on two O rings this time. Taped one to the fuel line.

Adjusting valves tomorrow.

Mike

mwolfca

I have the carb on, still won't idle so I ordered new jets. The jets came today and I will be out replacing them here shortly. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Mike

mwolfca

Oh I failed to mention I bought the ICH 34 with manual choke. It bolted right on but was delivering way to much fuel. There is only one adjust on this carb so I ordered new jets. It should be rejetted anyway since it operates between 7000 and 9000 feet.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good news for you.
On my solex carbed V--4 I found my base gasket had shrunk. there is a passage in the carb that comes very close to the outside, Gave me a vacum leak.
I finished tweaking the V-4 today. I adjusted the valves. .014 on the intakes cold. .016 on the exhaust also cold. Just purrs now and revs quickly, big improvement.
Good luck with the Jets.
Mike

rdynes01

I need to get one of those Weber ICH for my Imp too.But I operate at 7800 ft. altitude so what jetting do I need to ask for?

mwolfca

Mine is now running great, better than ever. I immediately changed out the jets, here is how I jetted my ICH for altitude

Carb Jets Altitude choke
28mm
main jet,
emulsion tube
f50
air jet,
pump jet, Pilot idle jet 50
pump bleed back valve