• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dead trees

BadAttitude

5 yrs ago, I undertook a major project to make my driveway safer. I widened it from 9' to 18' and added another 10-12' on the outside for a safety zone during the winter. It took about 1600 cu yds of fill to widen the whole 600' length. I dropped most of the trees that were in the way, but left a few to help support the steep bank. Up top, by the house, I buried one tree by about 15'-20'. I knew that would kill it eventually, but left it as a bank support. Last year it did ok, but this year no foliage. So I guess it's dead.

My concern is how long before it topples? More specifically, how long before the section of trunk that I buried rots? I don't have a clue as to what kind of tree it is other than it's about 50' tall and has about a 14-16" girth at the base. If it does fall, it would probably hit one of my vehicles. The strong NW winter winds might even blow it over. Do I need to drop it now, or is safe to wait til next year?

Here's a pic of the area that it's located...sorry, only one I have right now. The tree is located behind the stack of hay bales. It's barely visible in the pic.

Attachments

• drivewaybank.jpg
    drivewaybank.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 27

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a bulldozer out 5 or 6 years ago to make trails for our ATV's. We had a 40' tree which was in the way. It was none to healthy, and it had two trunks attached together. I cut 3/4 way thru one of the trunks, but did not like the way it was going. The tree had vines galour in it. I quit sawing on it and decided to let mother nature take her course. It just fell this past month. It was on top of a hill much like yours is. I thought the first strong wind would take her down, but it stood for years.

Since you buried the trunk 15 to 20 feet, I'd guess you have plenty of time. The roots and rot underground will take years. It is a slow process. I didn't have vehicles even close to mine though ...so it is a bit of a gamble letting it stand; but I'd bet ya a cup of coffee that you'll be fine letting it stand thru this winter. :)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BA,

I'll go with Doc and say it will most likely stand a good long time, but... the type of tree will make a difference. If it's OAK, it'll probably stand for many, many years. If something soft, it may only last a couple or few.

For the wind, based on the picture, you're probably in decent shape. With the foliage gone, there's less resistance and the wind will go right through it. Having it in a group also helps as they can slow down some wind.

Adding dirt around most trees will kill them pretty quickly. It only takes a couple inches for many.