• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The biggest problem in Northeast Asia

raindrop

North+Korea+s+launching+missiles.+South+Korea+s+military+launched+an+emergency_38f5ef_4279295.jpg

is the starvation of North Koreans I think.

North Korea is believed to have finished assembling a rocket on the launch pad on Wednesday, making a launch early next week the likeliest scenario. The North announced it will launch the rocket between Dec. 10 and 22 to put a satellite into orbit. The assembly of the first, second and third-stage boosters at the launch pad in Tongchang-ri, North Pyongan Province was completed. It has now spent an estimated US$2.8-3.2 billion making weapons of mass destruction -- $1.1-1.5 billion on nuclear weapons development and $1.74 billion on missile development. With that amount of money, the regime could have bought 9.33-10.66 million tons of corn at recent trading prices, feeding 24 million North Koreans for 31 to 36 months.

A study of the physical condition of North Korean defectors aged 19 to 29 shows that they are on average 8.8 cm shorter than their South Korean peers and 14.3 kg lighter. North Korea requires 210,000 tons of food aid next year. The food situation has not worsened drastically from last year's 410,000 ton shortfall, but many deaths from starvation are reported, and even soldiers are suffering from malnutrition. This is because the regime has diverted food to Pyongyang and the ruling elite, who are considered to be to prop up young North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s still-shaky regime.

Yet amid this abject misery, North Korea spent US$850 million just to fire a long-range missile in April of this year, enough money to buy 2.5 million tons of corn from China which could have fed 19 million North Koreans for a year. It recently spent another $330 million to build giant statues of nation founder Kim Il-sung and his son, former leader Kim Jong-il, as well as an amusement park modeled after a Swiss theme park.These tales of starvation in North Korea proves that famine often occurs not from a lack of food but from abusive mechanisms of state control in distributing food.

Today in the news in Bulgaria I also read the same info. I really feel sorry for them because I lived my childhood during the communist regime here. I'm sure everything is true. I know what it means. We also had periods of absolute misery. I remember a period when the stores were absolutely empty and we were given coupons to buy the main food products but there were none. But the communist government as usual "feeds" the people with propaganda. Really sorry for them, but hope the people there may decide to change the regime. There is always a moment when people should say "ENOUGH".

Pretty Flamingo

Certain countries do not need aid. India comes to mind and we in the UK contribute to India even though they thrive and have a space programme.

Then there are other countries who spend aid unwisely and are corrupt, leaving their citizens without the basics and spending the aid on things that are not only unimportant but downright dreadful.

Every citizen who lives in a country that contributes aid to other countries ought to know where their hard-earned taxes are going to. I don't begrudge aid going to countries who spend it wisely but I do to other countries who don't.

I don't think that there is a country that contributes to North Korea. North Korea is absolutely isolated from the world. That has been their government choice.

Yes, absolutely. In the article is also mentioned that because the country is poor the government took loans from Russian and Asian banks and European creditors with interest up to 40%. The ordinary people are doomed to pay them back in starvation.:sad:
The saddest thing is that when Kim Chen-Ir died in 2011 the TV news showed the whole nation crying and suffering for their own slow-killer. I don't believe in these videos, indeed. I'm sure everything was arranged by the government under pain of death.

Pretty Flamingo

Yes, absolutely. In the article is also mentioned that because the country is poor the government took loans from Russian and Asian banks and European creditors with interest up to 40%. The ordinary people are doomed to pay them back in starvation.:sad:
The saddest thing is that when Kim Chen-Ir died in 2011 the TV news showed the whole nation crying and suffering for their own slow-killer. I don't believe in these videos, indeed. I'm sure everything was arranged by the government under pain of death.

Like in Egypt thousands of years ago there were professional mourners then too. But they got paid for it!

I moan about living in the UK but I am really so grateful as there are far worse places in this world to have the misfortune to be trapped in.

Like in Egypt thousands of years ago there were professional mourners then too. But they got paid for it!

I moan about living in the UK but I am really so grateful as there are far worse places in this world to have the misfortune to be trapped in.

Agreed. Look what is happening in Syria, Egypt, Palestinе, etc., also. My country isn't as good as yours, but I'm grateful too, because have no opulent but relatively normal life without war or mass starvation.