• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

MINI V8

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE MACHINISTS ...
AND SOME REALLY ARE!
V-8 and V-12 Engines in Miniature!

For all you out there who like big, honking V-8's and screaming V-12 engines, check out these
tiny versions that you could run on your workbench or kitchen table. These models were built
by craftsmen the same way the big ones are made by machining billet stock and castings,
but in miniature.

These are not just models that look like engines, they are real running engines. Some of these photos
were taken from the Joe Martin Foundation Craftsmanship Museum but many more images can be
found elsewhere on the web, and engines like these can be seen in person at model engineering shows
around the country.
Here are some really nice examples:

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

The late Lee Root built this ¼ scale Corvette engine The major components were machined
entirely from solid billet aluminum that has been bead blasted to look like castings, and it will
turn 18,000 RPM! The coin you see in some of the photos for size reference is a US Quarter.
The valve covers are just 4-1/2" long, and the miniature spark plugs are commercially available.

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

This 1/3 scale billet machined, supercharged Chrysler 300 Hemi racing engine from the 1960s
was built by James Weber. It has a 1.0" bore and 0.90" stroke displacing 5..65 cubic inches.
The engine burns gasoline or methanol (methyl alcohol) on dual electronic spark ignition and
incorporates a two-stage pressurized dry-sump lubrication system. It will turn around 12 grand
and uses a couple of computer cooling fans on the radiator to keep things cool. Note the
professional looking throttle and gauges on the stand.

image005.jpg

Here's a V-8 and a half ; a ¼ scale Ferrari V-12 by Jeron Classic Motors. It has double overhead
camshafts, burns methanol on glow ignition and is equipped with two oil pumps for dry sump
lubrication. All six carburetors function and are linked together for smooth operation. The heads
and block are about 7-1/4" long. Only a few of these were made before the company went out of
business, so it's pretty rare. Like many of the engines you see here, it is on loan to the Craftsmanship
Museum courtesy of Paul and Paula Knapp and their Miniature Engineering Museum

image006.jpg

image007.jpg

Here's another twelve. The late Al Ingersol built this Curtiss D-12D 1/6 scale V-12 airplane
engine completely from billet stock and also built a model Curtiss Wright P 6E biplane to put
it in. The engine is only 9" long and weighs 6 pounds. It has a 0.80" bore and 1.062" stroke,
displacing 6.46 cubic inches.

image008.jpg

One of the more popular model V-8 engines over the years has been the Challenger.
This one was built by Ron Colonna. Casting kits are still available for this 1/3 scale
engine through Coles Power Models, although it is definitely not a beginner project.

image009.jpg

Several V-8 engines by Ken Hurst are displayed at a model engineering shows like the
recent Western Engine Model Exhibition (WEME) in Vallejo , CA . How about that
supercharger! Behind the first engine is his blue Challenger V-8. The 103 cc engine
sounds great running on a mixture of white gas and high octane racing fuel.

image010.jpg

Eugene Corl built this 1/3 scale Chevy V-8 using engine castings he produced himself.
The engine is seen here at the Gas Engine Antique Reproduction Show (GEARS)
in Portland, Oregon.

image011.jpg

Seen above are some of the wooden patterns, molds, cores and raw castings that had to be made
to build Gene's 1/3 scale Chevy V-8. Once cast, the parts must be precisely machined just like
real engine components. When you look at one of these finished little engines, keep in mind all
the planning, preparation, fixturing and behind-the-scenes work that goes into making one.

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

The three photos above show the world's smallest known running Chevrolet V-8. Jim Moyer
built this 1/6 scale version of a 1964 365 HP Chevrolet Corvette 327. Note the tiny firing order
cast into the intake manifold just like on the real thing. The heads and block are machined from
billet aluminum. Jim even made stamping dies to make the oil pan, rockers and front cover.
The valve covers are investment cast.

image015.jpg

The finished 1/6 scale 5-bearing crankshaft fits in Jim's hand. It utilizes real Babbitt bearings.

image016.jpg

Here you can see the cylinder heads of the Moyer 327 plus the stamped oil pan and front cover.
Some parts inside the engines are made to scale like the 30-30 Duntov camshaft, but some things
have to be modified to make a small engine run. Electricity and fuel molecules don't scale, so some
parts have to be slightly heavier or larger than exact scale would dictate. Getting a small engine
to run requires skill and careful work; getting one to run well is an art.

image017.jpg

Here's a shot of Jim's tiny Corvette V-8 being test run.
He is now working on a 1/6 scale Chevy 409.

image018.jpg

Gary Conley came up with the ¼ scale Conley V-8 in the 1980's. This version has twin carbs.
You could buy it as a kit or as a completed engine. Gary is now building what he calls the
"Stinger 609" V-8 that will soon be available as a complete running engine. A supercharged
Stinger 609 running in a 1/4 scale dragster. Impressive!

image019.jpg

Paul Knapp built this great looking version of the Conley V-8. It runs twin carbs on
a fully functional Roots style 671 blower and will turn 12,000 RPM on methanol.
Note the nicely painted and highly polished finishes on this beautiful engine.
(Did you notice that the ignition switch even has its own set of keys like a real engine?)

image020.jpg

A Cirrus V-8 by Profi M.E. of the Ukraine is based on the Merritt Zimmerman design.
The exposed rocker arms need to be manually lubricated before running the engine.
Again, note the really nice finishes on every part.

image021.jpg

This is one of only six air-cooled Micro Cirrus 1/12 scale V-8s produced by Profi M.E.
using the components from a run of 4-cylinder Micro Cirrus engines. Six water-cooled
versions were also built. The cylinder heads on this rare V-8 are only about 2" long.
Note the size of the quarter at the bottom of the photo. This thing is TINY!

image022.jpg

This 87 cc V-12 by Martin Ohrendorf of Germany has a 21 mm bore and stroke, 24 exposed
rocker arms and three carbs. It will spin a 24/10 propeller at 4500 RPM. One just like it can
be seen running on YouTube.

image023.jpg

This scale 426 Hemi V-8 by Roger Butzen was made by using parts of a plastic model kit
for reference. This one, however, is all metal and it RUNS! Only the air cleaner decal from
the plastic kit made it to the final running version.

image024.jpg

Here is another Challenger V-8 at the WEME show in Vallejo . This one was built by
Dick Pretel and sports triple carbs. Starter, batteries and other peripherals are hidden in
the wooden base. It even has carrying handles! Big fins on the valve covers help with cooling.

The Joe Martin Foundation for Exceptional Craftsmanship has a machine shop in their
museum in Vista , CA , where they are currently building a miniature Howell V-4 engine.
They have documented the build step-by-step so you can see what it takes to put together
a running miniature engine.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
DAM PICS DIDN'T POST....:hammer:

Attachments

• bacic.jpg
    bacic.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 628
  • bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 625
  • blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 619
  • blown.jpg
    blown.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 618
  • casting.jpg
    casting.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 613
  • chevy.jpg
    chevy.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 620
  • conally.jpg
    conally.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 611
  • cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 606
  • crank (2).jpg
    crank (2).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 592
  • crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 592
  • exposed.jpg
    exposed.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 603
  • ferrari.jpg
    ferrari.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 600
  • flat head.jpg
    flat head.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 586
  • ford flat.jpg
    ford flat.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 574
  • oil pan.jpg
    oil pan.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 571
  • sb blower.jpg
    sb blower.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 575
  • plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 577
  • small engine.jpg
    small engine.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 595
  • v12.jpg
    v12.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 567

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Time, patience and good eyes are needed for that kind of machining. Amazing detail for working miniatures.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Great post AA . I have seen a few before there are even some Utube videos of them running to be found if you look for them . But I havent seen any of these I dont think , really interesting . Just amazes me the work that goes into these , I cant even see good enough to work on the big ones anymore . :doh:

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I started making a 1/8 scale model V8 years ago for a diorama of a small garage,this was before i saw ones in 1/4 scale models that actually run:w00t2:,mine was never intended to run,some day i hope to finish my diorama,you are very correct Muleman, it takes a lot of patience and time,(at least for me a lot of scraped prototypes)hope you all enjoy the detail.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 540
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 541
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 537

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Well done AA . :clap: My jaw didn't hit the floor until I scrolled down to the third pic. :w00t2:Best of luck finishing it .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to keep coming back to this thread AA . Any chance you can post some more pics or give more info or details on your project ? I really find it interesting and cant beleive more folks haven't commented . :biggrin:

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have to keep coming back to this thread AA . Any chance you can post some more pics or give more info or details on your project ? I really find it interesting and cant beleive more folks haven't commented . :biggrin:

i'll try to remember this weekend ,my new camera should take much better pics than what i posted, :smile:

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well not sure if the pics are any better:unsure: i took the aluminum head off and slid a couple of valves in the guides and put out the socket set and other tools that you would find in a shop,the vice swivels and is completely functional,the work bench has a small pistol primer on it to give an idea of scale.the engine block is tool steel and is modeled after a SB Chevy,the engine stand is just like the one in my shop(except 1/8 scale) hope you enjoy the pics:smile:

Attachments

• mini v8 001.jpg
    mini v8 001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 500
  • mini v8 002.jpg
    mini v8 002.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 514
  • mini v8 003.jpg
    mini v8 003.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 506
  • 053 (1).jpg
    053 (1).jpg