• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The big 50 and making it to 51

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I have finally realized I may be getting older and better, but the bod may have other ideas. Seems that playing around the other day with a blood pressure wrist reader was really not that far off the mark.

I got a reading of 240 over 120 first time, second time was 220 over 102, so thought MAYBE seeing old doc might not be so bad.............200 over 102 there..............and I am having the balance of a physical..........first in 7 years, later this week. I am now on bp meds and a new diet that even Bugs Bunny would kick at...............dont they know I like salt, meat, and all the other things the doc says now I should avoid. :bangin:

So much for enjoying retirement doing as I want, I can now grow all I will be eating....................a giant lettuce bed.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I got my wake-up call about 55. Until then I always though of myself as immortal and invincible - after a few vodka & tonics I thought I was sometimes invisible too. With me it was high BP followed by wacky blood sugar. Watching my blood sugar meant watching my diet, watching my diet meant I lost about 40+ pounds and lo & behold, my BP returned to normal. No more meds. While I still take medication to control the blood glucose, it is perfectly under control and my diet these days is fairly normal except that I no longer pig out on candy, sweets & desserts - although I can sometimes sin once in a while. So don't give up hope bro', it's not the end of the world and it's better to find out about it now rather than when they're wheeling you into emergency as the result of a stroke. Stick with the program.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I got my wake-up call about 55. Until then I always though of myself as immortal and invincible - after a few vodka & tonics I thought I was sometimes invisible too. With me it was high BP followed by wacky blood sugar. Watching my blood sugar meant watching my diet, watching my diet meant I lost about 40+ pounds and lo & behold, my BP returned to normal. No more meds. While I still take medication to control the blood glucose, it is perfectly under control and my diet these days is fairly normal except that I no longer pig out on candy, sweets & desserts - although I can sometimes sin once in a while. So don't give up hope bro', it's not the end of the world and it's better to find out about it now rather than when they're wheeling you into emergency as the result of a stroke. Stick with the program.

Oh I will, she brought home my lunches for this week..........a salad in a bag........... My brother died 15 plus years ago, one year YOUNGER than me now of a heart attack, his bp was high. He was considered at one time for a jarvik 7 heart replacement, until they realized there was not enough left to hold it.

I could lose 100 pounds too and be better off

American Woman

Site Supporter
Watching my blood sugar meant watching my diet, watching my diet meant I lost about 40+ pounds and lo & behold, my BP returned to normal. No more meds.
About three years ago I was losing weight, and after the first 30 pounds my blood pressure, high sugar, Cholesterol, and Triglycerides all went down.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Diabetes is big in my family. And my dad has been a small person. Right now I am heavier than I ever have been and my wife is really worried about me getting diabetes. I should go on a diet but hell, I am having fun the way I am. You know I have found it keeps the girls away from chasing me.

murph

American Woman

Site Supporter
Diabetes is big in my family. And my dad has been a small person. Right now I am heavier than I ever have been and my wife is really worried about me getting diabetes. I should go on a diet but hell, I am having fun the way I am. You know I have found it keeps the girls away from chasing me.

murph
Yeah, but if they chased you then you could eat anything you wanted, and lose weight because you would be runn'in from the girls.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Right now I am heavier than I ever have been and my wife is really worried about me getting diabetes. I should go on a diet but hell, I am having fun the way I am. You know I have found it keeps the girls away from chasing me.
murph

Yea Murph, lose 50 or 60 of those pounds and you'll be surprised how much more fun you'll have. Your wife will find you less of a burden too. :brows::brows::brows:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The best medicine for much of the aging health problems is exercise, more exercise and don't stop exercising. Your life will be much better with this simple formula. The mountain living and work associated with this lifestyle has made me much more healthy than I was ten years ago. No fast food joints, no take out crappy meals, and plenty of work that must be done to live this lifestyle. Since the nearest restaurant and town is 28 miles away and we try to go to town only once per week we eat mostly healthy homemade meals and lots of lean elk meat instead of a fatty beef diet.

EXERCISE is the best medicine for a long and healthy life.................:thumb:

urednecku

Site Supporter
I gotta agree with ya, mtntopper. I don't know much about mountain living, but I think I could do it. Except for the cold. This hot Fl. weather has my blood too thin to take much cold. But I do love the country living, and am looking forward to retiring next year, (IF financially able, lol) and getting this 70 acres up to speed, where it should be.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Got some not so great and some great news from the doc. BP meds till it comes down or I croak. It did go down to 164 over 92 in 2 weeks, lost 2 pounds.........now for the great news.

cholesterol is GREAT, 60 and 130, with the ldh, whatever that is a bit low, but some exercise will fix that................bring on the burgers and fries.........low salt please.

Heart seems to be a bit big on one side according to ekg, so going for the echo gram this week, doc is a bit concerned, but says that this could be due to the high BP and the heart muscle getting enlarged.

oh yeah, heart rate is down 10 beats already too!

Cityboy

Banned
Got some not so great and some great news from the doc. BP meds till it comes down or I croak. It did go down to 164 over 92 in 2 weeks, lost 2 pounds.........now for the great news.

cholesterol is GREAT, 60 and 130, with the ldh, whatever that is a bit low, but some exercise will fix that................bring on the burgers and fries.........low salt please.

Heart seems to be a bit big on one side according to ekg, so going for the echo gram this week, doc is a bit concerned, but says that this could be due to the high BP and the heart muscle getting enlarged.

That's good news, Danny. Keep doing what you have to do so you can stick around here with all us smartasses for a good long while.

Are you exercising any?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

You just stay after it :thumb:. I've lost about 60 pounds since January . It does make a difference . I been going overtime for about 3 months now with all my honey do projects and got a little off course . I gained 3 1/2 pounds back . So I am now back on track . Heading back to the ranch next week will help .There there are no fast food joints near by to tease me .

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
That's good news, Danny. Keep doing what you have to do so you can stick around here with all us smartasses for a good long while.

Are you exercising any?

I washed the car today, does that count..........if not, no excersize today, if so :clap::clap: I did some.

At work now I dont sit as much, and walk alot since moving shifts to a more visible and more active schedule, so that should help.

Oh and tonite............an old crown came out of my jaw, so now off to the dentist for some work....................

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You just stay after it :thumb:. I've lost about 60 pounds since January . It does make a difference . I been going overtime for about 3 months now with all my honey do projects and got a little off course . I gained 3 1/2 pounds back . So I am now back on track . Heading back to the ranch next week will help .There there are no fast food joints near by to tease me .

5 years ago I lost 92 pounds in one year, yeah it does feel better, alot better. Only thing worrying me just a bit is the heart size thing, but I am still above ground and the doc is happy

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
5 years ago I lost 92 pounds in one year, yeah it does feel better, alot better. Only thing worrying me just a bit is the heart size thing, but I am still above ground and the doc is happy

Shoot.... a big heart ain't nothin . It just means you give out nicer presents at Christmas :dizzy:.

I lost half my heart to a virus about 10 years ago . I have to take meds everyday till I kick the bucket , but I don't let it slow me down done . It did give me a new meaning of what life is all about ..... real quick .

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I will probably be on bp medicine for life and once the bp is leveled out I am on a baby aspirin each day for life.

losing the weight will help alot

thanks for posting to this,