• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LMC 1500 on ebay....red flag...

tomelroy

This cat just sold a few days ago, now it is relisted with a new seller who is also new to ebay (0 rating). The same pics from the previous auction are being used, but the item has moved from OR to PA...makes me wonder if our seller really is not the rightful owner of the cat, but rather is from Nigeria? Does anyone have any info on this?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ebay is KNOWN for snowcat scam sales. We have documented several of them EVERY YEAR since we started the Snowcat Forum. I honestly have not reviewed the auction to which you are referring, however I would be VERY CAREFUL when buying any snowcat via Ebay to confirm it is a legitimate sale.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Ebay is KNOWN for snowcat scam sales. We have documented several of them EVERY YEAR since we started the Snowcat Forum. I honestly have not reviewed the auction to which you are referring, however I would be VERY CAREFUL when buying any snowcat via Ebay to confirm it is a legitimate sale.

Nice detective work tomelroy!

I wasn't aware of any snowcat scams on ebay. Certainly we've seen some machines that were listed with one sided descriptions such as the machine the "Lipstick on a pig" thread was about, but I wasn't aware of any outright scams.

One of my other interests is FJ40 LandCruisers. Several years ago someone listed a very rusty FJ40 on ebay and it didn't sell (thankfully). The seller waited a time and photoshopped the rust out of his original listing photos and re-listed it on ebay. Some FJ40 enthusiast(s) spotted the attempted fraud and contacted ebay.

Has anyone on here in the past contacted ebay regarding scams on snowcats?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice detective work tomelroy!

I wasn't aware of any snowcat scams on ebay.

. . .

Has anyone on here in the past contacted ebay regarding scams on snowcats?

Yup they have snowcat/snowmobile/motorcycle/jetski/etc scams running year round. Basically the scam artist steals photos from a recent auction, then hacks an unused/underused account from someone and posts up an auction with the photos. The scam artist usually offers a price that is too low to be true, often about $2995. That is one sign you should be looking for! They often also say to contact them directly, by phone or email and provide an email link in the auction . . . saying NOT to contact them through Ebay. That is another tell tale scam signal.

Other things to look for are locations or descriptions that don't match the photos. Often a pieces of equipment will be listed as being in central Kansas but the photo shows mountains all around the item. Or it lists the item in the Cascade mountains but shows it in a photo with a flat horizon line.

Another thing to look for is the auction seller's history. Its always odd to see big equipment like a snowcat for sale by someone who typically sells collectable calico cat statues or sewing fabric or something that is totally unrelated to equipment.

Ebay ONLY wants to listen if you report the current fraud. They don't care about filtering out fraud auctions. I know many of us have contacted them MANY times and the only response seems to be to remove the auction you report and then do nothing else.

I have quit using PayPal and Ebay completely (both are the same company).

tomelroy

good new, the auction ended (reserve not meet) but lucky for me the seller emailed me.... Sound like a great deal: I think I will ask if he accepts western union...Here is the message:

Hi, nice to hear that you are interested.
First thing you have to know is that the final price is $21000 and if you have this amount i will be more than happy to continue with emails.

I will consider any reasonable offers.
I am selling this Snow Cat because our business has slowed and it has not been used often enough in the past 6 month.
I would like a $10,000 deposit within 48 hours of purchase and the balance within one week.
If you are ok with these conditions we will do the deal.
P.S Ships to any where.

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I had some great ones on ATV's too...

"I am selling this as I head off to war... it is in amazing condition, unfortunately I have to sell it today because I leave for war tomorrow. It's in mint condition believe me...you will not be disappointed or your moneys back. I have people that will ship it but I need the full payment today and then we can work out shipping... I am heading off to fight for our country!"

Such crap. Unbelievable ...

tomelroy

more good news...looks like i might have this cat before the big storm gets here...its already at the shipping co...no need to worry about local pickup or inspection!! Here is the latest email i received:

Hi again,
I am very pleased to meet you, this is my adress715 Pusey Ave","Apt B.Collingdale","PA","19023. I'd really like to know you personally and maybe, in the future,we'll do business together.....I already have the Snow Cat on shipping co. possession along with ALL doc ready to GO so will be no local pick up available.Please let me know if you have the funds available and wish to explain you the payment process.
Thanks,Bruce Carroll

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Hi again,
I am very pleased to meet you, this is my adress 715 Pusey Ave, Apt B.Collingdale , PA, 19023.
Hmmm... Doesn't BigDog live in PA? Anybody else? It might be interesting to go see what this "Pusey Ave" address is all about. :yum:

ve3otk

There is such an address according to Google Earth. Release the hounds....

Attachments

• Collingdale PAs.jpg
    Collingdale PAs.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 527