• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Squerly and friends build a house...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So are you making turkey for Thanksgiving??? Looking good! Bet Trish is getting antsy about now.:whistling:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
So are you making turkey for Thanksgiving??? Looking good! Bet Trish is getting antsy about now.:whistling:
I think we're going with a Honey Baked Ham this year instead of turkey. Trish's family will be driving out from Pensacola and (believe this or not) they don't like turkey! I know, that's just nuts but they're my cross to bear... :ermm:

Anyhow, gutters are on and we passed the final inspection, so we now have a Certificate of Occupancy! Lots of stuff still to do but we're good to go with bringing in furniture and stocking up the fridge. :smile: We still have the etched stain to do on the downstairs and some baseboard to install. Dishwasher still needs the front (to match the cabinets) to be installed and a bunch of clean up both outside and inside.

Last night we sat outside and played with Trish's birthday present, which was an outside gas fire pit. So here are the pictures of the fire pit last night and some of the kitchen/dinning area now that the appliances are in and functional. Also a picture of the inside of the steam shower. Hard to take a picture of a steam shower, just too small to accommodate my camera but I did the best I could. :wink:

Attachments

• tn_CO Inspection 015.JPG
    tn_CO Inspection 015.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 135
  • tn_CO Inspection 037.JPG
    tn_CO Inspection 037.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 126
  • tn_CO Inspection 041.JPG
    tn_CO Inspection 041.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 126
  • tn_CO Inspection 006.JPG
    tn_CO Inspection 006.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 130
  • tn_CO Inspection 030.JPG
    tn_CO Inspection 030.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 119

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
These are pictures as we prep the floor in the media room. The process involves sanding off 1/8"-1/4" of the top layer of concrete. Then they apply some quick set and knock the top off of it. This will provide a 3-D effect for the finished product.

After the quick-set sets up, a sealer and stain is applied. This takes 24+ hours to set up. Next they apply an epoxy solution which brings out the 3-D effect.

The first couple of pics show the cement after it has been sanded and the quick-set applied, kind of hard to see the detail but it's there. The next pics show the floor after the stain has been applied. Tomorrow (hopefully) they will be able to apply the epoxy, it's all dependent on the humidity. High humidity=bad, low humidity=good. :smile:

Attachments

• tn_floor stain 013.JPG
    tn_floor stain 013.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 83
  • tn_floor stain 014.JPG
    tn_floor stain 014.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 83
  • tn_floor stain 030.JPG
    tn_floor stain 030.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 87
  • tn_floor stain 033.JPG
    tn_floor stain 033.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 84
  • tn_floor stain 032.JPG
    tn_floor stain 032.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 86

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I love that table. Very clever design.

The floor looks like my concrete porch after the leaves stain it. But much nicer!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Got a second coat of epoxy on the floor tonight. Also moved furniture into the upstairs. A little hasty given the amount of work left to do but damn... I'm tired of waiting. :w00t2:

Attachments

• tn_DSC02222.JPG
    tn_DSC02222.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 73
  • tn_DSC02217.JPG
    tn_DSC02217.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 76
  • tn_DSC02211.JPG
    tn_DSC02211.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_DSC02209.JPG
    tn_DSC02209.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 75
  • tn_DSC02207.JPG
    tn_DSC02207.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 75
  • tn_DSC02223.JPG
    tn_DSC02223.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 75
  • tn_DSC02221.JPG
    tn_DSC02221.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 81
  • tn_DSC02220.JPG
    tn_DSC02220.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 80

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking good. I'd be moving in furniture too. How far away are you moving from?

That floor looks fantastic. I think I know how I want to finish my basement floor now. That is awesome. :thumb:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, that floor is something special.

What is the process called and how do I get it done up here in St Louis?

WOW!

Your project continues to impress and amaze:clap:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty floors. Enjoy them now. In 6 months you will have rugs everywhere...:yum:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Almost a year to the day and it’s time to bring this thread to a conclusion. Overall, the build went pretty smooth. Still some small things to do to finish up but we got anxious and moved in about 2 weeks ago. Got the outdoor wood furnace fired up last week and it’s just great. I feed the black dragon once a day and then forget about it. Radiant floor heat is absolutely awesome! The wood furnace also sends hot water to a heat exchanger in the plenum that provides on-demand heat through the duct-work when we turn on the blower. Don’t really need it much but it’s there for when/if we do. I still have to plumb in a hot water storage tank to provide domestic hot water, but that shouldn’t take long once I get to working on it.

Much thanks to everyone who participated in the thread, it’s been fun and I appreciate everyone’s input/feedback. :thankyou2

Attachments

• tn_DSC02258.JPG
    tn_DSC02258.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 63
  • tn_DSC02334.JPG
    tn_DSC02334.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 62
  • tn_DSC02372.JPG
    tn_DSC02372.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 52
  • tn_DSC02376.JPG
    tn_DSC02376.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_DSC02343.JPG
    tn_DSC02343.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 50
  • tn_DSC02337.JPG
    tn_DSC02337.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 51
  • tn_DSC02331.JPG
    tn_DSC02331.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 50

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This was an awesome thread to watch. Thanks for sharing!

So much fun that I think you should new build a matching garage/shop and deck it out with full descriptions in a new thread. ;)

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I'm sure you're right, it's pretty hollow in there. Definitely needs something to absorb the echo echo echo

Question, Squerly. I was in Bass Pro this weekend and noticed that they have the same concrete finish floors as your home. Nice looking, but theirs need refinishing. Can these floors be repaired or refinished?

Granted, the traffic at Bass Pro is more in an hour than yours will be in a decade, so probably no problem, but I was thinking of uses like kitchen counters.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking about Bing Crosby's "I'll be home for Christmas" song as I view the final product of your one year efforts.

Nice home to be in for Christmas.

Well done Jim.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad you are in. We are in month nineteen and still not in. They started moving dirt in June of 012, footings Monday after Thanksgiving last year, foundation wall the second of January. Getting close but not there yet, soon like any day now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for this thread Squerly. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the progress and all the kewl things you did with this build. The concrete floor finish is awesome and the outdoor wood heater are both items I will eventually be adding to my place. And your house overall is beautiful and what a location / view. :wow: :beer:

Give us plenty of notice when you plan to have your FF House warming party. I suspect you will be shocked and maybe scared by who all will show up. :poke: :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good. From the pic you are already sucked in to doing Christmas crap. When is the tree going up?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Question, Squerly. I was in Bass Pro this weekend and noticed that they have the same concrete finish floors as your home. Nice looking, but theirs need refinishing. Can these floors be repaired or refinished?

Granted, the traffic at Bass Pro is more in an hour than yours will be in a decade, so probably no problem, but I was thinking of uses like kitchen counters.
To be honest, I don't think they're done the same way as this stuff is almost indestructible. These should hold up regardless of the traffic, lots of urethane covering the initial surface.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for this thread Squerly. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the progress and all the kewl things you did with this build. The concrete floor finish is awesome and the outdoor wood heater are both items I will eventually be adding to my place. And your house overall is beautiful and what a location / view. :wow: :beer:
Thanks Doc!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you are in. We are in month nineteen and still not in. They started moving dirt in June of 012, footings Monday after Thanksgiving last year, foundation wall the second of January. Getting close but not there yet, soon like any day now.
:eek: Yipes!, that's a long time! Good luck, it'll be worth it!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Beautiful build. Many, many years of great memories for both of you. Thanks for sharing.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
:eek: Yipes!, that's a long time! Good luck, it'll be worth it!

Moved the mattress sand box spring in last night. Shower doors and mirrors go in tonight. Hopefully they will finish up the piddly stuff this weekend but my best guess is it will be finished while we are in Florida.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I ran into this old thread whilst looking for something else. But, I couldn't help but post that Jim and his beautiful wife Trish have hosted several Crossfire club gatherings at their new place. We were just there last week end and the pictures do not do it justice.

Or illustrate the graciousness of our hosts.

Thank you Jim and Trish. May your lives be long , happy, and together in that magnificent house.:thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you get to see his latest toy ....a saw mill. I've seen some of the wood he was working with. Very NICE. Sure looked like fun.