• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Classic still working.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
classic hauler.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It's not a prom date or a show piece, it works for a living.

Be useful in your olt' age. You willl ive longer.

Go to state and county fairs,,,,look at all the old tractors. Allis Chambers, Farmall, Oliver, Case, all gussied up like factory new.,,,,I asked a guy once why I hardly ever see an old 9N Ford like mine. He answered, "Because, like yours, most of them are still working for a living.

It helps to be useful, even if you are olt'.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
kind of like a lot of our snow cats on the forum some are pretty most like mine still work hard enough to earn their keep.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a real nice one restored and still being used.

Attachments

• restored classic.jpg
    restored classic.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 120

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
weather we are takling about dozers, snow cats class 8 trucks ,pickups ,or gofast cars this new crap will never last aslong as those old well built americain pieces of iron will.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Electronics will be the death of many machines. We used to mechanically wear out a piece of equiptment. My bet is that many things will not reach this point, as it will be impossible to find the electronics that would make it work. Discontinued electrical/computer gear will be the end of useful life for many machines, I fear. They won't be available 20-30 years out....

It's like those componets are more important than the actual machine is... They allow it to be used, in a better fashion. But they don't do the actual work of the machine.

I miss the old days...

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
For sure there are more headaches with all the technology these days. Old machines and vehicles were simple and easy to work on. Can't find stuff that is not complex anymore. I will say the electronic ignition modules for Briggs&Strattons are great improvement over points and condensers.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
To be honest about it,they were easy to work on, yes. But then that was a good thing.
They needed to be worked on a a lot.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To be honest about it,they were easy to work on, yes. But then that was a good thing.
They needed to be worked on a a lot.

Thankfully for the most part you are right about that franc...

That said, there are many examples where the mechanicals are a sound design, but the issues are with the electronics. Any thing British with "Lucus" on it is suspect for example. Or the 6.0 liter diesel Ford used in PU trucks. Great engine with garbage electronics with high failure rates. Don't ask me how I know..Or farm equiptement that may still be used in 30 years, is the then, "old technology" going to be supported, and for how long? My experiance is that those tech pieces are the first to become no longer supported by the Manufacturer. They vended them out, and the vender no longer makes or supports those componets.

Some times the aftermarket comes to the rescue with the needed parts. Some of us here know this from our experiances with old snow cats.:smile: Hopefully that will be the case, if I need something, some day.

BTW, I aways walk through the old tractors. Unfortunately some times it makes me realise my own age....:neutral:

Regards, Kirk