• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Did you travel over the Holidays?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In another thread Dave Nay said:

. I haven't heard any stats from the holidays, how was the driving vs. flying this year? I bet more people flew.

That got me to wondering what folks here on FF did.

I traveled 3 miles for one holiday get together, and 3 miles to a different place for New Years eve. Other than that our holidays were celebrated at home. I love not having to travel. This is very new to us, we used to be the ones on the road traveling 110 miles, by car ofcourse.

So, did you travel? If so, how did you get there?

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
My wife and I traveled 200 miles by car to her parent's for Christmas. We drove up on the 23rd and drove home on the 26th. I didn't notice any extra traffic on the road during our travels.

Lawrence

dzalphakilo

Banned
Drove up to West Virginia new years day to kayak. About 360 miles roundtrip. Water was big and me and my buddy were the only people on the river.

Home rest of the holidays, but getting ready to drive this weekend to N.E Pa for my Christmas, I'm Russian Orthodox, so Christmas is on January 7th:whistle:

Looking at about 480 miles one way.

working woman

Site Supporter
drove to Indiana over xmas. 1200 miles round trip. Think I left my ass somewere in KY. It took it couple of days to catch up! Traffic was Heavey enroute there but dead on way home. By the way if anybody is going to travel the WV turnpike in the future the toll booths are now up to $2.00 bucks per toll. (I know highway robbery!)

JimR

Charter Member
We stayed home this year and made trips back and forth to the fridge for cold ones.

AFFitness13

I drove to PA for Christmas 1000+ miles round trip and my husband went to Iowa, yeah that was 2300 miles round trip. Sadly enough it was cheaper to drive to Iowa than to fly. But we stayed in NC for New Years.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
working woman said:
By the way if anybody is going to travel the WV turnpike in the future the toll booths are now up to $2.00 bucks per toll. (I know highway robbery!)

Thanks for the warning on the WV turnpike price hike. I agree that's high, but I used to drive it when it was two lane. They still had the toll booths, and called it a 'turnpike'. What a joke. You'd get behind a big ole coal truck and poke along for hours. I'm so glad to see it all four lane that I won't complain to much about the increase.

If you jump off the turnpike at I-64 and travel east thru the mountains....WOW. That's some beautiful scenery!!!!!!

working woman

Site Supporter
I 64 is were I do jump off to go to Indiana. travel through KY which does have alot of beautiful scenry, espcially the Lexington area with all the horses !

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I"ve traveled that way to, that's the older part of I-64.

The new section I'm referring to goes east to Virginia. It will take your breath away. I hit it at sunrise my first time thru and that was the best by far.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Doc said:
I"ve traveled that way to, that's the older part of I-64.

The new section I'm referring to goes east to Virginia. It will take your breath away. I hit it at sunrise my first time thru and that was the best by far.

If you ever have the time, take a drive up 219 from 64 to Elkin.

Some of the hardest "steep creeks" on the east coast are in that area.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went up that way once, but it was overcast, raining/snowing. Not a good day for seeing the scenery. Snowshoe Ski resort is right in that area (I think).

What do you mean by 'steep creeks'?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
So, did you travel? If so, how did you get there?

We have not had to travel too many times for the holidays, everyone usually came to our place. This Year Grandma couldn't leave the nursing home, too frail. We drove from Columbus to Cleveland on Christmas day and returned the next day. The trip up was foggy and not much traffic and the return trip was congested with traffic the whole way back.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Doc said:
I went up that way once, but it was overcast, raining/snowing. Not a good day for seeing the scenery. Snowshoe Ski resort is right in that area (I think).

What do you mean by 'steep creeks'?

Your right, Snowshoe is in that area.

Per our previous post, I know you spent time around the New and Gauley river area in West Virginia.

The term "steep creek" refers to "creeks" that you can run in a kayak. Usually up in that area, most of the "creeks" run anywhere between 200'/400' drop per mile. Tight, "technical" and usually alot of waterfalls. Have to catch those "creeks" usually after or during a hard rain.

If you've ever been to Blakwater Falls State park, that "creek" that the falls "dumps" into is a prime example. That "run" is known as the North Fork of the Blackwater.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Usually up in that area, most of the "creeks" run anywhere between 200'/400' drop per mile. Tight, "technical" and usually alot of waterfalls. Have to catch those "creeks" usually after or during a hard rain.

WOW that's a lot of drop. I was surprised to read that you did some white watering over the holidays. I never thought of doing it in Dec/Jan, with a wet suit I suppose it wouldn't be to bad ...for someone else. Not for me. :)

dzalphakilo

Banned
If you like whitewater on the East Coast, wintertime is the time to go. Creeks/rivers usually high due to snowmelt and rain, and the norm is that you're the only one out on the river.

New was running high this past week, and we were the only two on the river.

Been on the Upper Gauley with only four people on the whole river for the whole day as well. That's amazing.

You use a dry top. Not water gets next to the body. Wet suit would be to hard for movement (sp?) paddling the whole day, and your skin chafes (sp?) with that dang neoprene.

Actually pretty warm for the time of year (past new years day). It does suck though when you have to get in your vehicle and throw the heater on high because you can't take any of your clothes off because they're frozen.