• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Speeding Ticket in the mail??

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
On TV the other night there was an article about cameras on the highways/roads takin your picture and if your speeding sends you a ticket in the mail. The ticket will contain a copy of the picture it took when you were speeding. Now if the picture doesn't match the picture on your driver's license they will throw the ticket away.

Didn't think much about it as it was out west some place this was being tested and the amount of money they were making off this system was amazing. Now on the radio in the Mpls area there was talk this system was in place in the metro area, just not turned on yet because of protests. But the system will be turned on despite all the protests.

I know I know, drive the speed limit and you don't have to worry. However, if your picture is taken which they say it won't be taken unless you are speeding but if they do take them at random they will know where you are. Now this system could help in tracking down people also, it would help slow traffic down in bad areas.

So like what's everyones opinion.

murph

dzalphakilo

Banned
Break the law, does it matter how you get caught?

Big brother and all of that good stuff.

Everyone with guns should have a meeting:D

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Buy tag covers that only allow the tag to be seen from straight-on. They sell them and work great.

Cityboy

Banned
When they send you the picture of your tag with your ticket, just send 'em back a picture of some money. :rollingla

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I do think that they would have better things to do then to take random pictures, look at them and then decide who they are and where they were at a certain time. Big brother is coming, but hopefully not yet.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Facial recognition they do not even have to look at them anymore, a computer does!! I say catch the bad guys if you break the law you pay the price!!!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Break the law and pay the price?

Have you ever driven through Chicago on the highway? The posted speed limit is 55. If you are not doing at least 65, you will cause accidents and pile-ups. Sometimes posted speed limits make no sense.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, but if everyone was driving the speed limit it would not be a problem would it???? Every big city is that way, they all think to many people doing it to catch old me if this system started handing out tickets to even 1/3 of the people that are speeding, I would bet alot of people would slow down real quick!!! Everyone loves to see a cop when they are in trouble, or in an accident. The only reason we all hate to see one is when we broke the law!! (notice we I am guilty to...) This day and age why not make the cars only able to top out at 55 on a 55mph road?? We can do everything else with computers??? I do not think it would be that hard to make that system.... Because or government does make alot of money ticketing traffic violations..2-uncles cops Grand dad a cop cousins cops ect. They all say it is a slow day when they do not make 3 times their wages in tickets....:eek:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Theory is nice, but this will not stop all the commuters from speeding. Reality has to set in at some point in time.

So, if you do the speed limit, your sentence will most likely be an accident, and you may kill somebody.

Solution - raise the speed limit! Obviously, 65 mph or 70 mph is an acceptable speed limit because everybody is doing it anyway.

If an engineering study resulted in a 55 mph conclusion, the proof is right there in front of their nose that the study was flawed.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, great thought raise the limit to 65-70 everyone will drive 75-80 guaranteed. Prob the reason they set it at 55. Human race thing, give them an inch they take a mile!!!

daedong

You name it we have every device going to catch speeders, with on the spot fines to cameras, no picture sent here, just bad luck your car your gone. Not only do you get fined but you also lose demerit points. Average speeding loses 3 points; lose 12 in three years you lose your licence.
Just a guess the average fine is about $250 give or take about 50 bucks. What is it there?

It all works great, very few speeds today in Australian.

While on the topic of cars what is the road death toll in the USA?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The point is if 70, 80, or even 100 is a safe speed limit, then why make it 55?

And really, they are doing 80 to 90 in the left lane.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
You name it we have every device going to catch speeders, with on the spot fines to cameras, no picture sent here, just bad luck your car your gone. Not only do you get fined but you also lose demerit points. Average speeding loses 3 points; lose 12 in three years you lose your licence.
Just a guess the average fine is about $250 give or take about 50 bucks. What is it there?

It all works great, very few speeds today in Australian.

While on the topic of cars what is the road death toll in the USA?

The "costs" are about the same here. What really is the motivator to not speed, or, not get caught, is rising insurance rates based on "safe driving".

As for death rates, haven't a clue. I suspect they have gone down based on all the new safety features in cars.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I caught something on one of the science channels awhile back.

They have a new thing they're trying out. It mounts in an unmarked car and it reads all license plates in something like a 60% sweep across the front. It then checks them against the database and checks for stolen cars, owners with outstanding warrants... An alarm sounds inside the vehicle when it finds something. The cop inside is presented with the info and takes appropriate action.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I caught something on one of the science channels awhile back.

They have a new thing they're trying out. It mounts in an unmarked car and it reads all license plates in something like a 60% sweep across the front. It then checks them against the database and checks for stolen cars, owners with outstanding warrants... An alarm sounds inside the vehicle when it finds something. The cop inside is presented with the info and takes appropriate action.

I think I posted a link to that video a while ago (too lazy to look for it though). It was some more freakin' Canadian cops. Of course, they have high auto theft in Canada because there is almost no punishment for the criminals if (big if) they get caught. Same stuff is happening here. It's the consequences of our shift to the nanny state.

P

Pigtails

Cityboy said:
When they send you the picture of your tag with your ticket, just send 'em back a picture of some money. :rollingla

I like it..:yum: :yum:

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Those cameras were used in Scottsdale, Arizona, and tickets issued for offenders speeding at (I think) 10 mph or more above the limit. Some idiots were clocked at 100+. After a trial period tickets were no longer issued, but the radar was left on to record speeds. Speeds went up and the accident rate increased. The last I heard, the cameras were going to be reactivated and the state was going to take over operation. The governor is considering using the cameras statewide. My personal opinion is that is a good idea. The average motorist is not capable of driving safely at high speeds. There are also too many vehicles on the roads around here that are not safe for high speed driving.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
ghautz said:
Those cameras were used in Scottsdale, Arizona, and tickets issued for offenders speeding at (I think) 10 mph or more above the limit. Some idiots were clocked at 100+. After a trial period tickets were no longer issued, but the radar was left on to record speeds. Speeds went up and the accident rate increased. The last I heard, the cameras were going to be reactivated and the state was going to take over operation. The governor is considering using the cameras statewide. My personal opinion is that is a good idea. The average motorist is not capable of driving safely at high speeds. There are also too many vehicles on the roads around here that are not safe for high speed driving.
I agree 100% The drivers that think they are safe driving at that speed are usualy the worst drivers and do not know any better.... I wonder what the stopping distance of a car is at 100mph with reaction time included?? Talk about over driving your headlights....:eek:

daedong

waybomb said:
Australia = 8.8 : 100,000
US = 14.52 : 100,000

We need to drive faster to avoid all those accidents!
I don't think i would like to drive in China

"China

Officially, the Chinese government says 300 people die every day in vehicle crashes on the country's roads and byways. But the World Health Organization says that the real number is 680 traffic deaths a day. That compares with about 115 per day in the United States, where there are about eight times as many vehicles as in China, according to figures from the Chinese government and R.L. Polk & Co.
[Source: Washington Post , December 5, 2004 -- "Safety Isn't Optional "]"

OkeeDon

Eight times as many vehicles? I doubt it. There may be eight times as many cars in the US as in China, but the total number of transportation vehicles, including scooters and bicycles, must be much higher in China. Plus, I would be willing to bet that most of those traffic deaths in China involve bicycles or scooters.