• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chain Saw Needed

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
What model Stihl saw do you have?

I need to replace my 49.99 McJunker 'cause I dropped a tree on it today. :pat:

The 'Mc was a 14" I'm looking for a 14-16" Stihl to replace it. After I got the Stihl trimmer (FS45) I will never look back.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Can't help you on that brand, but I have a Husqvarna and I like it a lot. The dealer gives great service and it has never failed me. Junk...

Cityboy

Banned
You won't go wrong with any model Stihl. Costs more than the Mc, but you get what you pay for in the long run. Don't know how well they will hold up if a tree drops on it though.

I've got a Mcullogh I've had for many years that is still holding up, and a small Echo about the same age. Don't know the model number of either without going to look. Works for me as a homeowner, but if I needed to do serious work, I'd go with a Stihl.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a small Stihl, its several years old so I doubt if the model number would do you any good, and besides I'd have to go out and look for it! But I think it is the best chainsaw I've ever owned. I'm not a heavy duty user, but the saw takes the abuse I throw at it at home, and that my employees dish out at work. I can tell you it cost a lot more than the Homelite that didn't hold up as well, but I can also tell you that if you factor in the time I've owned the Stihl vs how long the Homelite lasted, the Stihl was the better value.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Echo CS341 for a small high rpm lightweight saw that you can almost use with one hand. Stihl 025 or similar Husqvarna model for a medium weight long lasting saw. I bought an older 041 Stihl saw at a Forest Service auction about 8 years ago for $25.00 as they considered it used up and not worth fixing. Replaced the fuel lines and use it often in the woods around the home. It is one of the best saws I have ever purchased although it weighs about 15+ pounds. It will cut faster and runs better than most newer saws.

HGM

I agree that any Stihl would give you great service.. I opted for Husvarna and dont regret it.. There have been MANY threads on the other place regarding this particular question.. Hate to recomend checking elsewhere, but there was some good info regarding several models.. BTW, I recently bought a Rapco carbide tipped chain for my 55 Rancher and am still amazed at the difference it made.. The chain cost what a small saw would cost, but in the long run, it looks like it will be well worth it.. Something you may want to look into..

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you want a 14 - 16" stihl you'll want the 026 model. My dad had the 024 and I have the 025 (previous versions of the 026). Awesome little saw. Perfect size for what I use it for. Not to heavy but powerful just the same.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You said you want a Stihl so I won't get into the Stihl/Husqvarna thing.

If/as I recall, when people mention their Stihl model as a "0nn" (e.g. 026), that is now called a 260. A couple years ago they moved the zero from the front to the back of the model number.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I have the MS290 "Farm Boss". It's bigger than you are looking for as it has a 20 inch bar. I use it for big and small cutting and I love it.

Lawrence

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have 2 Stihl MS180Cs and an 026.

Use the 180s for many hours at a time thinning areas with up to 5" trees. They weigh 10 pounds .I have put a larger(thicker) bar and chain on them both cause the micro chain was too easy to bend and throw off the bar. Have the 026 for bigger trees but don't use it much.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
This thread is recent enough I figured no point in starting a new one....anyway I may be completely nuts but I think I'll never need to buy a saw again:

Background info: I have a bunch of stuff to cut at the farm; quite a few around 2ft diameter and every thing on down to things just beyond the brushcutter. My Craftsman [AKA Poulan Pro 295] isn't quite what it used to be, and not quite enough torque or bar for dropping a tree efficiently - though I have done plenty with it.

Soooo: I started looking at the 390; the dealer said it'd handle everything I had no problem, but if it was low vibration I wanted I should also look at the 361. Somehow remembered another site having many good posts about the 361, and knew that had to be my next saw - but hadn't competely evaluated my needs yet and moreso just couldn't justify $600 for a saw.

Recently further evaluating my needs, I realized something like the MS200 will be even more necessary than the MS361 - but $500 for a 35CC saw :eek: ........

Then it occured to me, just maybe I could get a discount on the pair!!! So, now I've spent 4 times what I really should have for a saw, and have two saws [but I got a nice discount :pat: ]; however the 200 [straight not 200T] just amazes me: nearly as much torque as the craftman, but 2/3 the weight and balances perfect even with a 16" bar. The 361 is a bit of a beast, but feels soft as warm butter when you get in a log - exactly the opposite of my Craftsman.

Best of all my wife can start and handle the 200, so she plans to do all the small stuff! :coolshade

She wants me to take out the big stuff yet (that 361 with 24" is almost as big as she is), but I can sure live with that - and she said I could use hers for limbing.

Long and short as it'd apply to this thread; I may be nuts [and better get some time beyond just the test lot before speaking too loud], but that 200 I think is just amazing (with a 14" bar and safety chain, I could bury it and just couldn't stop it - the 16" will stop it if you try) for the 14-16" bars.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Can't help you on that brand, but I have a Husqvarna and I like it a lot. The dealer gives great service and it has never failed me. Junk...

Just a chainsaw FYI in relation to brands. Electrolux, Yeah think vacuum cleaners.......:D, :D who already owned Jonsered outdoor equipment now owns Husqvarna. If your looking for a Husky consider Jonsered.........!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Congrats on the new saws, Spiffy1, and on getting your wife involved.

I hope you both have chaps and helmets.

Now you are probably free to buy 'her' things you want :D

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This morning my wife asked me to take her shopping in a near by tourist trap town. Alls I can see is dollar bills going from my billfold to my wife's hand and then to some cashier. I knew I had to put a stop to this. And my excuse was the truth. I told her that I needed to stay around the house working in the yard. I had a bunch of trees to trim and even take one down. So she complained about how I never take her anyplace and then she went into town to get groceries.

I went outside and ripped down a tree real quick, cut it up in pieces so I could push them down the hill and into a brush pile I have already started. I took my chain saw and moved it to the end of the yard so I would not run it over. Worked moving the tree I cut down for about an hour and then since I was close to my bird houses I backed up to check them out. Didn't quite make it before I backed over my chain saw. Dang bent it all up. Will need new handle, brake, bar, chain tension/tightener and by the time I get done it may be the price of a new one. It was a Jonesrud 2050 Turbo. Had it now for about 8 years and to this day starts on the first pull.

Moral of the story, next time your wife asks you to go shopping, take her.'

Attachments

• DSC05651.JPG
    DSC05651.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 55

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I'm on my second Jonsered in 25 years. First one lasted 21 yrs.

Tractors are orange chainsaws are red.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
RoadKing said:
I'm on my second Jonsered in 25 years. First one lasted 21 yrs.

Tractors are orange chainsaws are red.

My next one will be a Jonsered also. I was very happy with it. I never had a problem starting it, had plenty of power with the turbo. I will try and fix it first.

murph

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
pixie said:
Congrats on the new saws, Spiffy1, and on getting your wife involved.

I hope you both have chaps and helmets.

Now you are probably free to buy 'her' things you want :D

Thanks Pixie!

I did teach my wife to wear the helmet, but I have many years of bad habits and ussually never wore it unless the application obviously dictated - of course, bad things happen when you least expect - perhaps she'll set a good example for me.

The chaps I don't have, but is a very good idea, thanks!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
thcri said:
My next one will be a Jonsered also. I was very happy with it. I never had a problem starting it, had plenty of power with the turbo. I will try and fix it first.

murph

That stinks your saw took so much damage. :( I hope it isn't too much to fix, or you can find a very close replacement.

I like the Stihl dealer around here, and do love the quality, but I don't consider them a "starts first pull" tool [very reliable, however].

The Electrolux thing does have me curious; my old Craftsman (almost sure Poulan Pro 295) doesn't owe me a dime, but it's not the quality of the Stihls - I'm not sure if the Poulan line does have a serious unit anymore. I see a lot of good words on Husqvarna yet, but they have some questionable things at the farm stores around here. Just not sure where the Jonsered will fit the line-up; hope they have some good ones yet though.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Spiffy1 said:
That stinks your saw took so much damage. :( I hope it isn't too much to fix, or you can find a very close replacement.

Motor still runs. I don't have time to fix it myself but I will take it in to get a quote. It just seems to be cosmetic damage right now.

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spiffy1 said:
I see a lot of good words on Husqvarna yet, but they have some questionable things at the farm stores around here. Just not sure where the Jonsered will fit the line-up; hope they have some good ones yet though.
I'm not sure if the new Jonsered are the same quality they used to be. I would "think" they're about the same as the Husky's but not sure if their between, equal or better than the Husky professional series. The old ones are heavy but can't be beat. Murph - I would try to fix it if the $ is within reason.

If you're looking at a Husky, don't even bother with the farm stores. Most sell the bottom line Husky's. If you want something to compare to (or beat) the Stihl's, go with their professional series. I have a little one that packs over 2.5HP but weighs less than a gallon of milk. My big one is heavier but when you have 5HP hitting the wood, the wood chips are flying so fast, you don't notice the weight.:thumb:

PS. I'm Husky/Stihl neutral at this point. All I know is everything I buy from now on will be one of the 2 (no more 2nd string stuff). I've been leaning towards Stihl for non-chainsaws as I think they're a little better but for a chainsaw, I call it a draw (based on price, service...).

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FYI.............. Jonsered's (1954) been making chainsaws longer than Husky (1959) and are as good or better. Stihl made the first chainsaw (1926) and Homelite (1949) is purported to have made the first one-man chainsaw.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
*Bimp*

Okay, I've got it narrowed down to the Stihl MS250 or MS290 Farm Boss. They are both 16" bar saws. The 250 is smaller/lighter at 10# and the 290 Farm Boss is bigger and heavier (13#) with a more powerful motor.

Thoughts or comments??

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
Okay, I've got it narrowed down to the Stihl MS250 or MS290 Farm Boss. They are both 16" bar saws.

I run a 20" bar on my MS290 and a sharp chain is like a knife through butter. If you think you will ever want a longer bar, I would go with the 290.

Lawrence

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
buckle97 said:
I run a 20" bar on my MS290 and a sharp chain is like a knife through butter. If you think you will ever want a longer bar, I would go with the 290.

Lawrence

I'd always been convinced that around a 20" bar and the most HP you could afford &/or lift comfortably was the right combination as a "do everything"; but that little 200 just amazes me, it's so light and manuverable as well as powerful [though the 16" does top it out] there's not much it can't do. Though as an aborist saw, it's designed for power to weight ratio [and you pay $$$ for that :eek: ], so not a fair comparison.

Of course, that 290 still might be the right choice. I've never owned one, but known several owners and used a few of the old "farmboss" (029 I think): it was a tough saw and very capable [though I thought just a bit heavy feeling compared to the cheaper saw I used for the last 5 or 10 years]; I presume the 290 follows well.

Anyway, I quess the lesson is see what feels right first of all - especially if they'll let you put it in a log too.

Finally between the two you're looking at, I would choose the 290 over the 250 only because, I'm just not sure what consessions are made in the "homeowner" line vs. the midrange. The 270 might be a great compromise too just on weight and HP, but I know nothing about it.

Good luck!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
FYI.............. Jonsered's (1954) been making chainsaws longer than Husky (1959) and are as good or better. Stihl made the first chainsaw (1926) and Homelite (1949) is purported to have made the first one-man chainsaw.

I don't doubt that of either one made or still makes good saws, but am curious whether Electrolux will maintain competing lines, or if they have a niche planned for each name. I guess the good news for Husky and Jonsered fans is that the Poulan "Wild-Thing" probably already tells you where the low end is!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
PS. I'm Husky/Stihl neutral at this point. All I know is everything I buy from now on will be one of the 2 (no more 2nd string stuff). I've been leaning towards Stihl for non-chainsaws as I think they're a little better but for a chainsaw, I call it a draw (based on price, service...).

I have been very pleased with the Stihl FS80 brush cutter we use as a trimmer around the farm.

Around here, I know of at least one good Stihl dealer, so I take that route; I mostly see Husky in the farm stores [though at least one, more or less, has a full line dealership inside]. Judging from the online stores, I think you might get a bit [on average] more HP/weight per dollar with the Husky over a Stihl. But then what they feel like in use may be different, so I really don't know which is better.

Guess, [barring any shining stars or lemons each line might have - well out of my knowledge] it comes down to the local dealerships on which is the right choice.