• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Diesel Cars, Pickup, Vans for 2007?

OregonAlex

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has been tracking which new Diesel vechiles are expected to come out in time for the new Low Sulfer Diesel standard set for 2007.

I have only been able to find the following:
-Isuzu MU-7 SUV. I guess they make these in Thialand right now and in production.
-Dodge Caliber using a new VW engine. Not quite clear if they will have a diesesl version for the US or just Europe. This thing seems interesting. It will have AWD designed by Mitsubishi, Diesel engine by VW, CVT tranny by Nissan. I would love to get a AWD card with a Diesel. Although I would personally perfer a stick shift out in the country.

Anyone know of anything else to keep an eye out for. I figure most diesel cars are very expensive right now due to the expensive filtering they have to do to pass car emmisions in the US. This, I am hoping will change after 2007.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Especially Toyota, but even Honda, have diesel entries in most other countries. Our regulations have prevented them from being brought into the U.S. market. I think (hope) that will change soon.

OregonAlex

yes.. I hope you are right. I would love to see more new diesel car choices from those manufacturers. I think the low emmissions requirement in the car market (vs the truck market) and high sulfer content diesel here in the states makes it costly to address changes required import their diesel engines found abroad. Unfortunately, we also have a chicken and egg problem as a result. You can't find diesel as easy as unleaded gas as a result. It might take quite a bit after 2007 till this changes. I hope it is not too long however.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I've heard rumors of a twinturbo Cat going in the Superdudes, also a Cummins going in. I just read this on another site today, and there were quite a few comments to contrary. :whistle: I just wish they'd have kept the 7.3, or put a 466 in.:coolshade

OregonAlex

Has anyone ever noticed the resale prices on used VW TDIs cars?
I just looked at the asking prices... omg.. are people nuts?
How come I have never heard about how well they hold their values before? also I noticed that Dodge Diesels pickups seem to resale for significantly more then Ford's Diesels? Anyone else notice this?

Bob S. you have a few VW TDIs.. right? Is this true?

any before anyone begins to say that I am poke a stick at Ford. I am not, just a casual observation. I own:

1 Subaru
2 Fords
1 GMC
1 Dodge

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at the Jetta TDI just to see it, but I was not interested in buying it. It has a great engine and reputation from what I can see (although I will say that VW owners either love or hate their cars). VW currently offers the Jetta with a diesel.

I wanted a VW Touareg TDI but none were available when I was shopping and I didn't want to order one and spend the extra money or wait another 6 months for the 2006 models when I was offered a heck of a deal on a 2005 gas engine ($8K below sticker). The V6 diesel from VW in the Touareg is a very nice engine from everything I can see and from the tests I read and from the VW forums I belong to everyone who has a VW diesel LOVES them and everyone who doesn't have one WANTS one (myself included). As it is right now the newly designed 06 diesel for the Touareg is not sold yet in the states, unless I misunderstand things. They offered a diesel in 04 and 05 for the Touareg and apparently will soon offer an updated 06 diesel.