• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

stuck vw intake valve

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i've had an intake valve stick open on my snow trac twice now when temp drops down to around -15.the CHT. has never exceeded 250 since i put the gauge on and generaly when an engine over heats its the exhaust valves that stick the intake valve will free up when it warms up and woks fine otherwise other than a cracked guide i talked to a few aircraft mechanics they think its moste likely no upper cylender lube from unleaded gas a problem they ran into with aircraft motors desighmed to run off of high octain leaded fuel they added marvl mystery oil to fix the problem any other thaughts from some of the vw experts out there.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Valve stem u/s for the guide. Try a quart or 2 of kerosene in the fuel.

scooterd

On my 37 John Deere B, I add one qt of kerosene to ten gallons gas. It runs great no matter how hard I work it. When I really want to have fun, I switch tanks and run it on straight kerosene. :clap: You have to close the shutters on the rad and get the temp up, or it will stall and be a real pain to start. It's fun though because people can't believe that a gas motor runs on kerosene. T-nut can relate to this I'm sure.:biggrin:Someday we will meet in Rollag or New Rockford!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there is another engine desighned to run off both fuels thats a td19 international you started it in low compression and spark ignition than pulled some levers wich changed it over to diesel and compression ignition than there is the ldt 465 multifuel engine that will run off both gas and diesel using compression ignition only the injection pump has a compensator valve to automaticaly adjust for different fuel densitys

fr73ed

On my 37 John Deere B, I add one qt of kerosene to ten gallons gas. It runs great no matter how hard I work it. When I really want to have fun, I switch tanks and run it on straight kerosene. :clap: You have to close the shutters on the rad and get the temp up, or it will stall and be a real pain to start. It's fun though because people can't believe that a gas motor runs on kerosene. T-nut can relate to this I'm sure.:biggrin:Someday we will meet in Rollag or New Rockford!

I sense a death in the family soon...

fr73ed

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Update i'm not usualy a believer in a mechanic in a bottle but since i started adding lead substitute i have had no intake valve problems.