• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Might have to stop using Yahoo!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It could be a very sad day in the computer world if this event occurs. The evil empire appears to be pouncing on one of the few independent companies left. Not that Yahoo! is the industry leader anymore, in fact it is doing pretty badly compared to Google, but still, the prospect of it being taken over by MS is something that makes me feel :puke1:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080201/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_yahoo_31;_ylt=Aufe_W0_2bszN6cR1xOay4gE1vAI

Still, I have to wonder the actual motivation and the long term plan by MS to buy Yahoo!

Back to Story - Help
Microsoft offers $44.6B for Yahoo

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE, AP Business Writer
15 minutes ago

Microsoft Corp. has pounced on slumping Internet icon Yahoo Inc. with an unsolicited takeover offer of $44.6 billion in its boldest bid yet to challenge Google Inc.'s dominance of the lucrative online search and advertising markets.

The surprise offer of $31 per share, made late Thursday and announced Friday, seizes on Yahoo's weakness while Microsoft tries to muscle up in a high-stakes battle with Google likely to define the technology landscape for years to come.

In a statement Friday, Yahoo said it will "carefully and promptly" study Microsoft's bid.

With its profits steadily sliding, Yahoo's stock slipped to a four-year low earlier this week and a new management team has been trying to steer a turnaround but sees more turbulence through 2008.

The announcement lifted Yahoo's share price by almost 50 percent in morning trading, while Google fell almost 8 percent, dragged down by a fourth-quarter earnings report that missed Wall Street expectations.

In conference call Friday morning, Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer indicated he won't take no for an answer after Yahoo rebuffed takeover overtures a year ago.

"This is a decision we have — and I have — thought long and hard about," Ballmer said. "We are confident it's the right path for Microsoft and Yahoo."

To underscore its resolve, Microsoft is offering a 62 percent premium to Yahoo's closing stock price Thursday. If the deal is consummated, it would be by far the largest acquisition in Microsoft's history, eclipsing last year's $6 billion purchase of online ad service aQuantive.

Since reaching a 52-week high of $34.08 in October, Yahoo shares have fallen 46 percent. Yahoo climbed $9.41 a share, or 49 percent, to $28.59 in morning trading. Microsoft shares fell $1.43, or 4.4 percent, to $31.17.

Microsoft publicly disclosed its cash-and-stock offer in hopes of rallying support from Yahoo's shareholders, making it more difficult for Yahoo's board to turn down the bid.

In a letter released Friday, Ballmer pointedly noted Yahoo's financial performance has deteriorated since Microsoft was spurned a year ago. At that time, Ballmer said he was told Yahoo believed it was better off on its own.

"A year has gone by, and the competitive situation has not improved," Ballmer wrote in his letter.​

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree Bob. If I used Yahoo I would quit ... but I quit that long ago, so no problem here. Still, hate to see it happen.
Yahoo is much like AOL was. Yahoo tool bars and add ons load tons of useless crap on your computer. It drove me away. With Microsoft I would suspect it will get worse. If it does I predict the end of Yahoo as we know it.
I don't see how Microsoft could catch Google now. What amazing the forsight the google folks had. Who would have thunk that a search engine company could dethrone Microsoft as the leading IT company. :pat:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
IYahoo tool bars and add ons load tons of useless crap on your computer.

Google's do the same thing. (Not sticking up for Yahoo or MS, btw.)

I still use Yahoo and Google to search. I maintain a couple of Yahoo e-mail accounts.

nobull1

Myself I haven't used Yahoo in about (8 years?). My default search engine is Google with MSN as the back up. I have noticed lately my website has feel off the radar with MSN and I am now only getting 1-2 hits per month. Previous to Sept I was getting about 500 hits per month. So after a few emails to MSN I finally got to correspond to a live person. This is a copy of the final letter I received. No wonder they are trying to buy Yahoo. They can't even get there own search engine to work right, and it will be late Spring until it's fixed. Good thing it's their #1 priority

Hi, XXXXX
Thank you for writing to Live Search technical support. I understand that you are writing to us because your site isn't in the index. We understand that it is very important to you to have this issue resolved; we apologize for the inconvenience and any ramifications that this issue has caused to your site traffic. Thank you for contacting us so we can have a chance to explain the situation and try to remedy it.

The Live Search team is in the process of modifying the algorithms we use to determine which sites are indexed by Live Search index and which sites receive a ranking so our crawlers will visit the site. At the end of September we launched new ranking and indexing algorithms that were stricter than we anticipated, and we are now changing them to bring back many sites that were removed from our index or given a lower rank. We apologize that it is taking so long to remedy this situation, and we are treating it very seriously. Having high quality content is important to us and we want to make sure we get this right.

Although we cannot specifically address issues with your Website, the following blog entry from the Live Search team has some very good information about what you can do to improve your chances of being ranked well in Live Search - http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx. While these suggestions will not guarantee that your site will be ranked as high as other sites, it will make it easier for our algorithms to index and rank your site, and for our crawlers to get all the information they need.

We do not have an exact date for fixing this issue, but our plan is to have it resolved near the end of spring. This is our number one priority and we have put all our resources into solving it and bringing a better balance to our indexing so it won't happen again. We appreciate your patience while we resolve this issue, and hope you understand that at this time there is nothing we can do to modify or improve your site's index or ranking.

Best regards,
xxxx xxxx

Reaper497

Young Buck
Site Supporter
Now, Now...You would think Yahoo would be on the ball in reporting news this big to the public....There's a major discrepancy between this article and every other report about the issue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080201/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_yahoo_consumers

From the article:

"Microsoft executives did not indicate Friday exactly what they would do with Yahoo's brand if their $45 million bid is accepted. But analysts expect the combined companies to preserve many of their separate free services, like instant-messaging and e-mail programs."

There's a big difference between $45 Million and $45 BILLION! :4_11_9:

jwstewar

I guess I'll be of the opposite side. I think Microsoft taking over Yahoo! would be a good thing. I think it would give us an alternative to Google. Talk about getting bad about wanting to put bloatware on a machine a you've got Google. I make my living using Microsoft products and for the most part I think they work pretty well and work well together. I crinch everytime I have to use IBM or software from someone else. The free doesn't have all of the support there to be able to do all of the business needs that are required. While we do have a couple of Linux boxes, for the most part the software isn't there to support us. That goes even more so for the Macs. So I say go Microsoft.