• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Motor

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone have info on these machines? I believe that the men involved were Ira Davidson and Ted Flynn, circa 1930's. I know they used one on Mt. Hood to build the original Magic Mile chairlift. Would one of you computer greeks please open these photos for me. Thanks.

Attachments

• Sno Motor 2.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 266
  • Snow motor 1.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think there is a short write up on the unusual locomotion motive web site?

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A bad end-around, but for some reason a security failure keeps popping up when trying to convert the tiff to jpeg.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 703
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 688

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you Mr. Sqwrl, I will look for it when I get some time.

And thanks to Mr. Net for making the photos show up.

I am not sure if this is the same machine in both photos, the top one may have the negative backward. The lower is right because I know the background. My guess is that they are not the same machine from looking at the access door to the pontoon.

sledhaus

There were two examples of this style produced before going to a twin track design steered by clutches. These two steered by the sleigh pulling the drive unit side to side by a winch/cable setup. One was used at Mt Hood and the second at Sun Valley, ID. It now sits at a museum in Cedar City, UT.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
There were two examples of this style produced before going to a twin track design steered by clutches. These two steered by the sleigh pulling the drive unit side to side by a winch/cable setup. One was used at Mt Hood and the second at Sun Valley, ID. It now sits at a museum in Cedar City, UT.

I go through Cedar City several times a year, do you happen to know the name of the museum?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this the Sun Valley Sno-Motor?

Attachments

• Sno motor iron-mission-state-park-museum-in-cedar-city-utah-museum-displays-B368T0.jpg
    Sno motor iron-mission-state-park-museum-in-cedar-city-utah-museum-displays-B368T0.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 536

Sno-Surfer

I haven't seen it. One of my friends is in one of those pictures though, I'll ask him next time I see him.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• Snow Devil 1.jpg
    Snow Devil 1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 495
  • Snow Devil 2.jpg
    Snow Devil 2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 531
  • Snow Devil 3.jpg
    Snow Devil 3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 515

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
sno/snow-motor

Attachments

• sno-motor-of-forest-service-1940-1.jpg
    sno-motor-of-forest-service-1940-1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 449
  • snow-tractor-t36.jpg
    snow-tractor-t36.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 432
  • snow-tractor-1950.jpg
    snow-tractor-1950.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 449
  • sno-motor.jpg
    sno-motor.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 438
  • iron-fireman-t36-snow-motor-1944-1.jpg
    iron-fireman-t36-snow-motor-1944-1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 446
  • iron-fireman-snow-tractor-t36.jpg
    iron-fireman-snow-tractor-t36.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 429
  • cargo-carrier-t38e1-1945.jpg
    cargo-carrier-t38e1-1945.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 80296.jpg
    80296.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 442
  • sno-motor-1941-1.jpg
    sno-motor-1941-1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 476
  • sno-motor-2.jpg
    sno-motor-2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 447

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and 1 last one,

does someone need some orange koolaid ?

Attachments

• snowtrak-of-t-h-brunius-1940.jpg
    snowtrak-of-t-h-brunius-1940.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 430

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You better take the Koolaid and an orange blossom pie up there immediately!

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
But it followed me home and there is orange paint on it.

Attachments

• Sno Motor 3.pdf
    343.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN3282.jpg
    DSCN3282.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN3287.jpg
    DSCN3287.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 446

Sno-Surfer

Wow is right. I can't believe it took them this long to find it...:brows:
I got to see this in the flesh yesterday and it is something else! I also can't believe I haven't seen more information on them, they were way ahead of their time as far as style goes. Now let's go find one of the double cab units!
Please, please get this up and running, it's begging to move under it's own power again, begging to get out in the wild some more, begging to show us what it can do...:clap::hammer:

Now about that addition for the cat house, I don't see anyway around it. :biggrin:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the built in safety. When you start It standing outside the cab in gear nothing to run you over !

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
thought you were only interested in Tuckers ?

are you feeling okay ??

do you need some Orange Koolaid ???

I think maybe there was too much orange Kool-aid that is more tucker than a tucker is. Sheet metal pontoon,
barn cleaner chain
more places to grease than sit.
Its all there!:wink:

so what would the model number be?>

a one one one.
Or 1K11

all dumb comments aside that is a really cool piece of over the snow transportation. I am glad some one with the right passion has it.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I think maybe there was too much orange Kool-aid that is more tucker than a tucker is. Sheet metal pontoon,
barn cleaner chain
more places to grease than sit.
Its all there!:wink:

so what would the model number be?>

a one one one.
Or 1K11

all dumb comments aside that is a really cool piece of over the snow transportation. I am glad some one with the right passion has it.

hey hey hey, squirrel, boy are we having fun out west, love that orange koolaid...

these machines were built in Portland Oregon, starting in, and or about 1936 through 1952??? and from researched so far, my guess is about a couple hundred were built, mostly with Ford or Dodge flathead 6 engines..... the early model were T36 and our is a Model T38E1, with a Ford 6 flathead engine and a 4 speed transmission, built by the Iron Fireman Co. Portland, Oregon

and Yes, it will be restored and find it's way back on the sno...