• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac usage for delivery of fuel in nome

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as you all know i'm working for the company in nome which did not recieve it's last delivery of fuel . the renda an ice capable fuel vessel is now about 100 miles out chugging through some tough ice about 4 feet thick with pressure ridges to 20 feet my snow trac has been drafted into service to aid in laying out hoses and transprtation needs on the ice we have had record low temps -25 to -40 for the last 4 weeks i was out on the ice with represenitives from the coast guard,department of enviromental conservation and the vessel scouting a path for the hose to lay yesterday the university of fairbanks shot some vidio of my snot trac running around on the ice ith a neet vidio from the air you can see what my machine gets subjected to. http://vimeo.com/34908480

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck dds,

With the thickness of the ice there I won't worry about you getting your feet wet....

It does however appear to be a very rough surface out on the ice. How big are the swells in the ice?

The whole family has been dealing with the flue here. Wife and I got it yesterday, I sweat it out last night. Hope your day goes better....

Best regards, Kirk

VXclimber180

Very cool, looks like a workout for any machine. Keep us posted on how it goes and post some photos from the ground as we always love to look at pictures of these machines doing what they are built for.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i will be adding more photos we will be out there this afternoon with a br100 and my st chewing up the ice so i can drag it smooth for a hose trail i will try to grab the camara

best of luck I take my hat :tiphat::tiphat: off to you. top man.10,000000000000 man points to you.:punk: don,t forget the film rights .50 year old vehicle :wow:.glad your not risking it in a krusty.:yum::yum::yum:

Nice work dds....I sure wish I could get BALTO up to Nome to help out again....best wishes

p.s.how do they keep oil from freezing at -20Deg F. when pumped thru a 1 mile long pipe?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the product is $1 same as karosine and regular unleaded it pumps just fine i was out on the ice again with an adhok trail drag groomed a corridor 14 feet wide for the hose to lay in the folks from the state were quite impressed with what thak little old 5049 year old cat can do we also put a br100 out to chew up some ice as mine has too little ground pressure

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
dds,

Pictures when you find the time......

If the boats are 100 miles out, how long do they estimate till it arrives? Maybe they just don't know?

Keep us posted for sure!

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Story I read said they are making 4-6 miles a day so it may be a few weeks yet. With the record cold air tankers are just not feasible for the amount they need. Folks can only conserve so much and still survive at those temps.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it looks like they made damn good time. This was two hours ago. The ships are 6 miles away, and waiting for daylight to pick a spot to enter the harbour.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...t-to-proceed/2012/01/13/gIQApsfcvP_story.html

Today and tommarrow maybe the days these folks can relax and stop worrying about the rest of winter. It will take some time to accomplish the transfere of that much fuel. And to get things into position. Not many hours of daylight to work with. May take several days.

I wish the people of Nome and dds the best of luck. I hope it gets done with no issues.

Best regards, Kirk

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Weather channel just showed them staking flags for the hose route and said they were 16 miles out. Don is probably running his butt off getting folks and equipment in place. Best of luck that they get it done.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well we have a trail made boats got in last night i was at the hospital with a 103 temp and pnumonia so i feel better today temps are -25 out side today hope it warms up we should be moving hose later on today the shot they gave me last noght left me feeling like i was shot in the a$$ with a 22

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn man isn't this the second bout with pnuemonia you have had recently?

When this job is done you better get what you need to treat it and fallow orders....:doh::flowers:

Keep us updated when you can...:clap:

Best regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
yes it is the second this year i get to go back in for the second 22 shot tonight i'm just looking forward to the pain again as you can see lots of puter time equates to taking it easy

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, Good To talk with you Today. Had another company call looking for rigs to Goldmine next year (Not the ones from Austrailia).just out of town looks like you will be busy hauling fuel. Do you have my bunkhouse built yet?

B

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Don, Good To talk with you Today. Had another company call looking for rigs to Goldmine next year (Not the ones from Austrailia).just out of town looks like you will be busy hauling fuel. Do you have my bunkhouse built yet?

B
not yet all that stuff had to get put on the back burnner till this fuel delivery had to be made feel free to have your customers contact me i would be willing to help an give my 2 cents as to what i have seen that works and what dosn't i can also help them prepare for what they have to expect for logistics

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Article I read early this morning said they are waiting for the tanker to freeze in place before they begin transfer. Don had told me they want another 500 yds. of route cleared over some really big ice chunks for the hose line. He said they were going to be chainsawing some pieces as big as my suburban to get them lowered to a level they can drag the hose along. The environmental guys are requiring they monitor every joint in the hose sections as they pump to catch any leaks. The ice breaker can only get so close to shore as it drafts deeper than the tanker and they need it to break the tanker loose when they get unloaded.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope Don is feeling better....

And will take some time later to get rid of the pnuemonia. It can be a killer.....

In the meantime I hope he and his machine are put to good use if needed.

Sounds like today they might get started transfering fuel.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
while i have the time here are some pics from the operation i have some more but the puter is kind of slow

Attachments

• renda 049.jpg
    renda 049.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 300
  • renda 040.jpg
    renda 040.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 297
  • renda 033.jpg
    renda 033.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 302
  • renda 032.jpg
    renda 032.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 299
  • renda 018.jpg
    renda 018.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 303
  • renda 014.jpg
    renda 014.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 296
  • renda 012.jpg
    renda 012.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 293

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good job Don! I posted some aerial shots I found online this morning. Looks like the ships are stranded in a white wilderness.

undy

I first read this tread a couple days ago, and it was the first I'd even heard about the problem. My wife came downstairs and I started telling her the tale. She had just heard about it on CNN, but she got more info from me, from Don.

Don, thanks for this and best of wishes to you. Mighty cool.

Cletis

Nope! No way! Not in this life time! There's ocean under that ice and I don't care it it's 100' thick. I ain't going out there!

Your a heck of alot braver than I am. You ain't gettin me on no cruise ship with a captain from Italy (?) either!

Good luck and stay safe!

Cletis