• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tuckers in Nashua, NH

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about buying any new vehicle and having the distributor paint their name across it ? Good ole days!

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well i got the little tucker home today,the tracks were frozen up so i made a couple toboggans out of a fuel barrel for the pontoons.I wanted it to slide easily and not gouge up the aluminum roll off body!:biggrin: I chained it to the back of the Diesel lombard to get it unloaded heres a few pictures.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice Yankee ingenuity! That Tucker will be up and running in no time. Your support group is right here. Looking at your other projects this should be easy as logging for you.

Rode in one very similar thanks to some great friends at the meow this weekend . You are very lucky to have one back east. Fast and very cool .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 350

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I wont get to really work on it for a while, got to get to the scrapyard ,got a lot of shearing to do!My buddy Steen was taken by the banjo steering wheel,thought it would look good on his 32 ford hotrod !:smile: I had to say "NO" !! That little tucker looks like a lot of fun wished i could have made it out . heres a few more pictures.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

as you can see it needs a bit of interior work !!:wink::wink:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I got the new steering pulleys,cables and linkage all on today as well as getting the engine unstuck !!!!!!! I got to say im a happy camper! I do have a question for anyone in the know,who or what had a 160 m.p.h. speedometer in 1948 ?????? thats what is in the tucker instrument panel,i know these things never went this fast.:biggrin::biggrin:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think there is a math equation sticker you had to divide it by 12 or some other random number. Tucker Experts will explain exact details better.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Thats a pretty neat gauge ! i'm thinking this dash panel was standard in something other then tuckers,its a 1 piece unit ,seems if they were made for tucker they would be close to speed instead of going up to 160!:ermm:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Loggah, The gauge panel in your '48 is the same as the one in my '49 which was built in '48. They came out of Dodge trucks of the same year. When in doubt, try Chrysler light trucks for drive train parts too. Track Addict's gauge is also Dodge with a Tucker faceplate above the speedo. The mileage factor varies due to different rear end ratios and different sprocket diameters. Your banjo wheel came from the factory that way, so it is stock.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Scott, the different gear ratio,to mph on the gauge makes sense, the old guy that used to groom with it is still alive, and he said it would move right along !!!:biggrin::biggrin: I do know that im going to have to modify the seat if im going to be able to drive it, 6'3" and 285 lbs dont fit to well, my size 14 shoe barely fits in the little floorboard!:biggrin: This cab is only 3' wide outside,i cant imagine how narrow a 300 series must be !!!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
mr loggah, the seat is not the original one for the tucker, they were a pair of seats that tilted forward, so you can adjust them to fit your seating comfort, tucker beyond

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks,now the search is on for a couple seats.:biggrin:

thinking you can make them, only if you had a pattern, think, tuckerville/tuckerland could loan you a seat to copy, then you could alter to fit your needs, much easier than finding something that is almost impossible to find if not impossible to find, happy to help.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I got the new steering pulleys,cables and linkage all on today as well as getting the engine unstuck !!!!!!! I got to say im a happy camper! I do have a question for anyone in the know,who or what had a 160 m.p.h. speedometer in 1948 ?????? thats what is in the tucker instrument panel,i know these things never went this fast.:biggrin::biggrin:
Thanks for the update and photos! Congrats on freeing up the engine. You probably know this already but when you go to start that baby up take out the spark plugs and crank it over to get oil pressure first. Check for stuck valves. It's going to smoke quite a bit. I'd get it warm shut it off and let cool down. Heat cycle it a couple of three times. Not trying to tell you what to do just had these thoughts! Watching your progress!!

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The engine has very little compression right now,im sure most of the valves have stuck open. I will spin it over quite a while and see if it will run on a few cylinders. Usually engine heat and vibration will free the other valves up. I have done this on a bunch of old flathead engines.I think i will fix the front seat and move it to the back,i picked up a couple of narrow front seats out of a old grumman delivery van ,in the junkyard yesterday that should work. I also got a bunch of the track loosened up with a "MEDIUM" sized hammer and PB blaster. I thank all of you for the offer of help and borrowing a seat, but i think its going well so far. I will have my wife take a picture of the new steering assembly.International scouts are more rare then tuckers in this area !!!! Don

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Cheryl took a few pictures of what i have been up to,steering pulleys and track removal.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

been freeing up pins,rollers, and bearings. I turned the engine over with the starter and the oil pressure came up to 40 by cranking, going to attack it again tomorrow !!!:smile:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice job an the steering pulleys Loggah. I have seen a stiff tension spring on the pulley attachment to the front hoop to the reduce the shock load to the components and your arms. Don't know for sure if that is a factory installed setup or users who have broken thumbs. We need to examine the factory literature to come up with the correct answer.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
:smile: That was what a previous owner had stuck in there so it stayed !!:biggrin: I'm gong to be taking off all the bad rollers and getting new balls to rebuild a few ,i think only 6 are bad. i need a couple links and rollers ,i think my friend Dave has some spares.You guys have done such a great job on your restorations,i am just going to get the mechanical stuff done ,replace the plexiglass, and make it a good runable unit. I believe it will be nicknamed the "RAT CAT" !!!!you guys didn't notice the beer bottle i stuck over the mirror bracket,i almost poked my eye out on it and i grabbed the closest safety device at hand and slid over it !!!:biggrin:

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
40 psi! I never would have expected that! Thanks for the update. Granite State Gas and Steam Engine show June 6th and 7th Canon Mt. anyone going? '47 Dodge truck grill looks very similar to the early Tucker grill.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yes, the Dodge truck and tucker grill, are one in the same, Tucker used all Dodge running gear, so they must of thought, why not the the grill too.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I used to go to that show all the time when it was held at Dave Dearborns house in Campton,Its just not the same all the old timers i knew are long gone now!!!:sad: I pulled one of my pontoons off the bottom was pretty bad! now i have a pretty well gutted out pontoon, going to bring home a bunch of steel from the scrapyard and fix it, got some stainless steel sheet to redo the bottom skin. theres not a lot of steel in these things my light steel welding skills will be tested !!!!!