• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DDrane was correct!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
At least I think he is. I think he was the one who said not to fill the gas tank up all the way for better fuel economy!

Since the national average for gas prices has increased to around $4.00 per gallon, driver’s in the United States have developed a renewed interest in conserving energy in order to save money on the cost of fuel.

While consumers can do little about the price of gasoline, drivers can improve the miles per gallon of their gas guzzler or economy car by changing their driving habits, properly maintaining their vehicles and using a little common sense.

Improving the gas mileage of a car or truck requires a real commitment on the driver’s part. Since there is no one way to drastically decrease fuel consumption drivers need to combine several techniques if they hope to meet or exceed the EPA (Environmental Protection Agencies) mileage rating for their vehicle.

Excess weight – every 100 pounds of additional weight a car carries can decrease gas mileage by 1 to 2% and even more in smaller vehicles. The easiest way to reduce your vehicles unnecessary weight is to clean out your trunk but you may want to consider driving with less fuel in your gas tank. Recently commercial airlines have been accused of forcing pilots to fly with less fuel to reduce weight in order to decrease fuel consumption. If this practice can save the airlines money it can work for you.

Gasoline is less dense than water and weighs between 5.8 and 6.5 lbs depending on air temperature. Rather than filling your gas tank at the pump keep your tank half full and lose 45 to 65 pounds of excess weight. Never run your gas tank to low on fuel. The electric submersible fuel pump in your gas tank is cooled by the gas in your tank and driving with low fuel can shorten the lifespan of the fuel pump.
http://proudtoliveinamerica.com/forms/main/default.aspx?l=en-us&p=moneytransfers1

urednecku

Site Supporter
The problem with this, the more air in the tank, the more evaporation there is. That is why those huge bulk tanks at port have 'floating' roofs, to eliminate air space at top of the liquid. You also have to stop more often to buy fuel, which means more driving to the pump, and more personal time spent pumping. That's not worth the extra small amount of fuel saved. Of course, that's :myopinion:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
That is why those huge bulk tanks at port have 'floating' roofs, to eliminate air space at top of the liquid.
I'm pretty sure they are more concerned about premature detonation than they are evaporation loss. :doh::shock::oops:

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure they are more concerned about premature detonation than they are evaporation loss. :doh::shock::oops:

I sometimes suffer from premature detonation. Where can I get one of these floating roofs?

One a serious note though, my mother in law had given my wife an old park bench. The end pieces of the bench were concrete, 3-4 thick pieces of concrete. I opened the bed cover on my wifes truck and she has these 2 slabs of concrete in there. She says, "Yeah I need you to get those out". She had been driving around with them for 2 weeks.

urednecku

Site Supporter
While "premature detonation" is usually first on peoples mind, there is a lot more to it. 3 or more things happen with evaporation. Not in any order, 1) more possibility of "premature detonation" (fumes travel away from the site), 2)fuel loss, and 3) air pollution. ALL caused by evaporation. The government seems to be concerned more about #3 , evaporation.
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/ab2d81eb088f4a7e85257359003f5339/78195a90169b0a578525741f005761af!OpenDocument
http://www.arb.ca.gov/DRDB/BUT/CURHTML/R227.PDF

:oops: :doh:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You should drive through Hammond some time. You'll know what evaporation is all about.
Hope your spark plug wires are in good order.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
You should drive through Hammond some time. You'll know what evaporation is all about.
Hope your spark plug wires are in good order.
Been there hundreds of times...my mother in law lived there up until last month.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I've driven trough the BP Tank farm a few times in my convertible. It is a wonder the place doesn't blow up. The odors from the chemicals and fuel are scary.