• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Imp or Spryte

Mike8623

Guys I need a thiokol Imp or Spryte for this coming winter. What's the most important thing to look for when purchasing one and what would be a good ballpark price to pay for one. I know nothing about snowcats.

undy

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum. The first thing you should probably do is update your profile to include your location. People appreciate it, it's relevant to your search, and it's the rules.

Most important? Depends...

Location is important to the cat you buy, as they can be expensive to transport (like a car, etc.).

Condition of the cat v. price may depend on whether you want one ready-to-go or are willing to make repairs. The cats you mentioned use many common automotive drive train parts, so have similar issues to look (out) for. Are you capable mechanically?

Features vary, such as flat-bed, fully enclosed passenger van-style, plow blade, etc., depending on your intended use. Many folks modify them as needed, but that's extra work. What are you looking for? What do you want to do with it?

I'd guess a nice clean cat might run 8-14k$. ???? Best bet for learning about cats would be either reading more here or find someone with a cat and have them teach you a bit about 'em.

Mike8623

got plenty of time on my hands, so I will go get the machine, got a trailer and truck. I'm a little mechanically inclined, looking for a machine that doesn't need a lot of work, I can do little things. it all depends on price. I want a machine I can get 4 folks or so in but again it all depends on price, I could put groceries on the back and the dogs can walk if need be. Most importantly it needs to be dependable, looks aren't important I just don't want to be have something major go wrong with it right out of the gate.

So what do I look for in a used machine as far as reliability goes??

akmountaineer

Just like on a car, the power train (to include the tracks) is the most important factor that I would look at. Particular attention needs to paid to the rear ends as they can be prone to damage (especially in the case of the C-4 on the Imp), and quite expensive to repair. The OC-12 rear end on the Super Imp DMC/LMC 1450 and most Sprytes has a reputation for being much more heavy duty and reliable. Also, make sure you take a good look at the tracks. Small superficial cracking can be normal, but large cracks or dry brittle rubber can set you up for a tremendous amount of work or a large bill in replacing the tracks.

undy

History. Has it been cared for? Stored indoors even? Best thing would be to know a meticulous owner who sells his 'baby' to you. Otherwise, you need to inspect it like any used vehicle.

Decent tracks. They are a ton of work to rebelt, and grousers and track guides are sort of pricey.

Tires in good shape. If foam filled they can run the carcasses off. Wheel bearings not sloppy. Check each wheel. Replacing them isn't usually too big of a deal.

Rear diff. is a biggie. How is the fluid? Does it move and function smoothly?

Engine and trans. are automotive items usually. Those same considerations apply, for the most part. Engine transplants are not unheard of, and modern efi engines are probably more reliable (if harder to fix in the bush).

Remember they are 40 year old machines, as far as reliability goes. The more updated and maintained they are, the more reliable they will be (in general).

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as all others posted tracks are worth a lot also you want to look at the frame work these vehicles have spent the last 40 years operating off the road on uneven ground frames can be stressed and crack.

I recently found/bought a snow cat with very low hours that had been owned by a utility company - stored indoors and well looked after and serviced - it has no blade or groomer with it, 2 things that I will be adding, but on the plus side it hasn't had to work hard plowing snow or grooming trails - some of the machines that have been used as groomers or plows have had a hard life, so too, machines that were used as a major part of a business - there are many contributors to this site much more expert than I, but I thought I'd add my thoughts too

The industrial V4 engine in the imps are becoming a little more difficult to find parts for. The C4 rear is not bullet proof by any means but if taken care of is dependable. One of the biggest issues as I understand it is abuse such as popping the clutch. Though not the strongest the C4 Imps are probably one of the faster machines around. Also the Imp is available in the Standard track (D dent) or a wide track. This will also make a difference in the price. If you are willing to spend the money a full cab 1450 might be a good option for you. They boast the heavy rear end, a 6 cylinder ford with readily available parts and a ford C6 transmission. Another nice thing about the standard track 1450 or the Imp is that you can haul them on a regular car trailer.

Good luck in your search.

bth_snowcat013.jpg

bth_snowcat012.jpg

bth_snowcat2ndhalf001.jpg

This is the framework of my Standard track 1404 IMP. As you can see it is made up of angle iron. This is why it is important to check the framework as stated above by Snowtrac Nome. I have seen many post from other members where they are making repairs to cracked frames. If you can repair yourself and the price reflects these repairs then not a big deal. Just don't want to pay top dollar and then find these issues.

jp11

I've got an IMP for sale. I spent a whole lot of money on the restoration. Probably way too much. I'm at the point where I'll take a little hit on it to sell. My snowmobile club just voted to buy a tucker. I'm trying to help them out by buying their current Track Truck to help them raise money for the Tucker purchase. Two snowcats in the barn would leave me sleeping in it!

I haven't had any issue with parts. There's a lot of guys racing the Saab Sonett. I had no problem finding anything, including changing out the points for electronic ignition.

Now, when I try to just walk into Napa, and ask for Saab Sonett parts from the 60s.. no dice. But look on Rock Auto, or aficionado sites, and everything is available.

JP