• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker, no power, good news, bad news.

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
The good news is I don't have to worry anymore why the Tucker has no power. The turbo is 100% locked up. It starts good, idles and rev's up perfect, 0 blowby. I never dreamed a motor could sound that good with the turbo no turning at all. (If a turbo go's out on one of our semi"s they smoke and will not even pull them self's to the shop) Of course the bad news is a remain turbo is over $1400.00 from Cummins!! I see some Holset turbos on E-bay off dodge pickups for less. Does anyone know what the difference would be? Its a 5.9 12 valve 194 Hp.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You will need the engine designation off the block. 6bt,4bt,6bta etc. to get the proper one. Even in the Dodge trucks they used several different ones over the years. Should be able to get a reman under $1000.

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
Still bad news. no one in the country had a rebuilt turbo ( it seems to be a rare build ) so had to order one direct from the Cummins factory. $1070.00 It ether had to be shipped next day air or come in on the stock order. Close to a $150.00 for next day air, So I'm patiently waiting, Its been over a week and still not here.

mkntrakes

better ck with your dealer had same issue with a perkins they said they only place a stock order on the first of the month so i had to express order or wait til till next months stock order

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That sucks! Do you have good oil flow to the turbo? I would check it out before putting the new one on.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Good point, muley. Best to diagnose why the first turbo seized before doing the same to the new one...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
The good news is I don't have to worry anymore why the Tucker has no power. The turbo is 100% locked up. It starts good, idles and rev's up perfect, 0 blowby. I never dreamed a motor could sound that good with the turbo no turning at all. (If a turbo go's out on one of our semi"s they smoke and will not even pull them self's to the shop) Of course the bad news is a remain turbo is over $1400.00 from Cummins!! I see some Holset turbos on E-bay off dodge pickups for less. Does anyone know what the difference would be? Its a 5.9 12 valve 194 Hp.
they should be the same you may need to clock it differently but otherwise every thing should be the same the big diferences is the exhaust manifolds weather the turbo is high mount or low mount centered or slighty to the rear the standrad hx 40 should work just fine on your tucker if you have a wwaste gated turbo if you have a non wastegated turbo than you will need an early model turbo like 89 to 91 dodge trucks used

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
I think why this turbo is so rare is the 192Hp thing. The standard turbo'd Tucker has 172Hp but since mine came with the optional tiller the big hydraulic pump required more Hp. As soon as I get a chance I'm canning it, It's half the size of a small block Chev and with all the lines and fittings just extra weight that I don't need on the snow!!! There is a small Vickers pump on the side of the motor that runs the steering and front blade.

Dr. Zaugg

I had a Cummins that liked to eat Turbos once. Turned out the oil feed hose was colapsing inside the wire braid. It is not much money compared to a turbo. Maybe you should change it too??
It is also possible that you have not been letting it cool enough before shut down.
Paul

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I think why this turbo is so rare is the 192Hp thing. The standard turbo'd Tucker has 172Hp but since mine came with the optional tiller the big hydraulic pump required more Hp. As soon as I get a chance I'm canning it, It's half the size of a small block Chev and with all the lines and fittings just extra weight that I don't need on the snow!!! There is a small Vickers pump on the side of the motor that runs the steering and front blade.
the horse power has nothing to do with the turbo the horse power is all in the pump you should have the hx 40 on that one with a waste gate when boost pressure comes up to 40 psi the waste gate opens up ad starts to bypass the exhaust side turbin a more volume will equate to more power as long as you keep adding fuel you are lucky you dudn't burn a piston as with out boost your egt's must have been high.

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
Good news, new turbo is on, runs like a raped ape. It will top out (2600 rpm) in 4th in about two lengths of the cat, about 18 Mph. (feels best at 12 to 14 mph, 2000 rpm in 4th.)
My wife and I just bought 25 acres on top of the Big Horn Mountains and plan on building a cabin there over the next few years. The snowcat is all part of the plan to use this cabin in the winter. It is 21 miles off the nearest all season road. Here are some pits we took this weekend off our snowmobiles. My wife is standing on the fence of our east border in about 8 ft of snow. The pic of the fence is down in the valley on the south east corner.
Here is the question for all you experienced snowcaters. Will my tucker be able to float on top this snow or will it be a boat anchor and I'll have to retrieve it in the spring. I am sure that if I pack the road in a little at a time as the snow comes It'll be alright. But for now its just fresh snow.
My cat is the 6 wheel 38" version!

Attachments

• 100_0950.jpg
    100_0950.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 100_0949.jpg
    100_0949.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 100_0954.jpg
    100_0954.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 100_0907.jpg
    100_0907.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_0906.jpg
    100_0906.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 250

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Good news, new turbo is on, runs like a raped ape. It will top out (2600 rpm) in 4th in about two lengths of the cat, about 18 Mph. (feels best at 12 to 14 mph, 2000 rpm in 4th.)
My wife and I just bought 25 acres on top of the Big Horn Mountains and plan on building a cabin there over the next few years. The snowcat is all part of the plan to use this cabin in the winter. It is 21 miles off the nearest all season road. Here are some pits we took this weekend off our snowmobiles. My wife is standing on the fence of our east border in about 8 ft of snow. The pic of the fence is down in the valley on the south east corner.
Here is the question for all you experienced snowcaters. Will my tucker be able to float on top this snow or will it be a boat anchor and I'll have to retrieve it in the spring. I am sure that if I pack the road in a little at a time as the snow comes It'll be alright. But for now its just fresh snow.

When you get a deep snowfall, you may have a few issues driving your Cat, but after a few days the snow will settle down about 30 to 40% and you will be able to go anywhere you want (common sense may need some adjusting) and have the time of your life.

In Valdez, we would get thirty plus feet of snow a year, sometimes a few feet in a few hours. The snowmachine would just plow under the new snow, but after it settled, it was heaven to play "On" instead of "Under".

Sounds like you got a neat place for a cabin!:wow:

srexecmark

I have the exact same track set up on my Tucker. It will go places I cannot walk and it sits outside in the winter and has always been able to climb out of the hole it creates. I have a plow on mine, so I usually fill up the hole as the snow gets deeper. I have a very steep hill that the Tucker can always seem to walk up even when the best snowmobilers get stuck. I use my Tucker for the same use as you. I cannot imagine being without it. I have run it up a 70% grade in 6' of new snow and it sinks to a point and then finds the traction to do it. Just avoid spinning those steel tracks since they will dig a hole very fast. These machines are made for the deep snow and they work.

Mark