• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jeepster Commando

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, much to the dismay of my daughter and much to the delight of the lovely Mrs_B I have given up on the idea of the Pinzgauer or the Volvo C303.

But I am now looking at this? 1967 Jeepster Commando Convertible Deluxe. Nearly mint.

Thoughts?

Edit by Bob . . . uh, Doc. . . thanks for pointing out that I can't spell simple words!

Attachments

• Dsc00080.jpg
    Dsc00080.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 398

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
OK, much to the dismay of my daughter and much to the delight of the lovely Mrs_B I have given up on the idea of the Pinzgauer or the Volvo C303.

But I am not looking at this? 1967 Jeepster Commando Convertible Deluxe. Nearly mint.

Thoughts?

Looks cool Bob. I like it better than the Pinzgauer. I bet you meant "I am NOW looking at this" instead of "I am NOT looking at this" in your post. :D

What are the stats on it. engine / tranny / options etc ....

dzalphakilo

Banned
What about an early 70's land cruiser? (sp?)

Vehicle you post of looks nice, but going that "route" as type of vehicle, think you can't go wrong with that early Toyota model.

cj7

OK Bob

You have my attention now...That looks like a very nice piece of history there. What are you looking to do with the vehicle again?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hummm . . . . hhhhhaaahhhh . . . . Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

must move to next thread . . . falling asleep . . . must find MLR - fast.

OkeeDon

Now you're making sense. This is a fun vehicle, as opposed to those metal boxes that looked like implements of torture.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Just do it. Those things are great toys. But be aware early Jeeps aren't any more practical for daily use than your Snow Trac. To start, no safety gear and inadequate brakes.

I think those Commandos still used the same transfer case as the WWII Jeep. If so, the gear whine will drive you crazy after 10 minutes on the highway. (Look underneath and see if both driveshafts are offset to the right.) And it should have the aftermarket Warn overdrive to reduce the 4.27 rear axle ratio, otherwise you are limited to driving 55 mph with the engine screaming.

Look for rust repairs at the body mounting pad under the car near the clutch pedal to determine if it is really in original, unrestored condition. In snow country that is the first thing to rust out because the front tire flings slush on it.

I had two Willys Wagons, which were a small SUV on that same chassis, essentially a stretched early Jeep. I loved the size and offroad capability but sold each of them after a year - I was spending more time on repairs than I was offroad. The second one had been 'restored' and looked nice, but both had been owned by logging or utility companies and had been thrashed by uncaring employees. They won't jump ditches like the ads implied.

That said, the Commando is just what you need for taking guests down into your back 40 for a Sunday afternoon offroad adventure.

I'd buy one if I found one that clean.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The problem I see with this (and I have not seen it in person but have a date to view it Sept 9) is that it is too clean and too original. I am not looking for a rock crawler, but it is very likely I would pull the low back front seats and replace them with modern high back seats and safety belts. I'd also consider a 4 pt roll bar and front disk brakes. I'd save the original parts so it could be put back to original but still, practical and safe come to mind. This one is priced at a bit of a premium because it is so nice, or supposed to be so nice. I'm getting a lot more photos in the next couple of days.

cj7

I think those Commandos still used the same transfer case as the WWII Jeep. If so, the gear whine will drive you crazy after 10 minutes on the highway. (Look underneath and see if both driveshafts are offset to the right.) And it should have the aftermarket Warn overdrive to reduce the 4.27 rear axle ratio, otherwise you are limited to driving 55 mph with the engine screaming.

The t-case is the Dana -20 it does not have tha gear whine.

The older case from WWII is an offset case called the Spicer 18. Yes it might have a little bit of whine but I have two of them and it is not all that bad at all..I have driven my 2A on some longer adventures on the road and all I hear is the wind and the motor....

Now with that being said. How many seats do you need?
There are alot of later model jeeps out there for alot less money and would not mind being bumped if you hit a tree in your back 40...

More modern running gear you can keep up on the highway and take more abuse of road. The axles in that Commando are not the strongest out there.. they are ok when things are left stock and not abused.

I would look for something 1978 and newer if your looking at jeeps. You will have disc brakes and factory single hoop roll bars. Seat belts for four or more.

if you want to check out more jeeps that are built from mild to wild look here at our club site...

www.hrja.org

www.jeepfest.net

want to know more?

http://forums.hrja.org/

http://www.4wd.com/4wdforums/

http://www.ifsja.org/ this on full size jeeps Grand Waggoneers and pick ups!

or just ask me...

here is my site

www.in2jeeps.com

good luck!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm actually looking at this as a beach vehicle so it can remain pretty much stock. No rock crawling or extreme use by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe some fields and such, but more beach and roadway than anything else. It would need more aggressive tires and the roll cage. My ultimate thought is that this may end up being my daughter's high school car? (several years from now, she is only 11)

What attracts me to the 1967 is that it was the first year of this style and simultaneously was the last year of anything that could be remotely considered a grand touring car. The 68's to 71's were more rugged in design, more spartan in utility. So while the 67 started the new body style and the real departure from the Willys Sportsters, it was simultaneously the last of that ilk.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Bob, that's not the right vehicle to start modifying. Its a four seater and you would need a full cage to protect all four. That would destroy its charm. The steering shaft is a solid steel rod aimed at your chest and sure to be pushed back if you hit something on the LF corner. And on and on. There's no way to modify it to reasonable safety standards, you are better off starting with something else.

Just enjoy it for what it is, and operate it within the limitations its designer intended.

My Willys Wagon experience was what caused me to buy, new, an '88 Trooper. It was essentially the same vehicle in terms of capabilities, had similar appearance, but with everything done right.

There are plenty of aftermarket parts for the early Land Cruisers. [Edit - I hadn't seen cj7's post. Or early Jeep...] If you want to build something to your taste, that would be a better place to start.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
California said:
Bob, that's not the right vehicle to start modifying. Its a four seater and you would need a full cage to protect all four. That would destroy its charm. The steering shaft is a solid steel rod aimed at your chest and sure to be pushed back if you hit something on the LF corner. And on and on. There's no way to modify it to reasonable safety standards, you are better off starting with something else.

Just enjoy it for what it is, and operate it within the limitations its designer intended.
Well I will agree that for 4 passengers it is not reasonable to build a full cage because of the contour of the top, but for beach use, it would be reasonable to keep 2 people reasonably safe under a 4 point roll bar if they were in modern seats and properly belted in place.

Again, not looking for extreme off road. So I think I'd just be enhancing the safety margin - both on and off road.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, anyone know of a supplier who makes a 4 pt roll bar for a 76 Jeepster?

cj7

the role bar would have to be custom made...

do some searching for a CJ-8.. They are no harder to come by than the Commando... much safer too...very cool beach factor too..

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, now that makes 2 of you to correct my typos in one short thread. Is it "pick on Bob" day?

OkeeDon

B_Skurka said:
The problem I see with this (and I have not seen it in person but have a date to view it Sept 9) is that it is too clean and too original. I am not looking for a rock crawler, but it is very likely I would pull the low back front seats and replace them with modern high back seats and safety belts. I'd also consider a 4 pt roll bar and front disk brakes. I'd save the original parts so it could be put back to original but still, practical and safe come to mind. This one is priced at a bit of a premium because it is so nice, or supposed to be so nice. I'm getting a lot more photos in the next couple of days.
Ask yourself, am I buying this for an inverstment? Do I expect to get my money back? Is it more important to protect the future value than to have fun? If the answer is yes. look for a rag and have it rebuilt. Even better, find a half decent body and have it mounted on a later CJ8 chassis -- you'll get the good brakes, safety stuff, etc., but still have the "look".

LarryRB

Any Shriner will buy that in a heart beat,, That is what they use for parades, only painted a different color scheme..

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
cj7 said:
The t-case is the Dana -20 it does not have that gear whine.

The older case from WWII is an offset case called the Spicer 18. Yes it might have a little bit of whine but I have two of them and it is not all that bad at all..I have driven my 2A on some longer adventures on the road and all I hear is the wind and the motor.
Oops, you're right. I thought the first Wagoneers and J-trucks had the old running gear along with the old closed-knuckle front axle and that the first Commandos shared that. My mistake.

My first Willys Wagon ('55, $500) had a Studebaker 259 V8 and no overdrive. (4.27 gears).The rig must have had 150k miles on it, everything was sloppy loose. And no interior aside from seat cushions. That thing was so loud with engine scream and transfer case whine that conversation was impossible. We made a few 400 mile trips but after a year decided it was just too primitive. The second one ('56, Ford 292, OD) was a lot better but kept breaking stuff.

Then I got a '72 Wagoneer and loved it. 304 V8 and 4 speed, over 15 mpg no matter how hard I drove it. I drove that several years and never broke anything. I wish now I had added A/C (its only flaw) and kept it.
(Photo about 1978)

wagon_washout.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just agreed to buy this one!

I will be driving down to meet the guy on Saturday morning. He's driving from North Carolina to Indiana to pick up a Jeep FC150 bed and some parts. So since he is on his way this way anyway, he's going to bring the Jeepster to central Indiana where I will meet him and then trailer it home. Its far from perfect, but it will make a nice project and is pretty solid. It even has one of the rarest of all options . . . a power convertible top!

Attachments

• DSC00046.JPG
    DSC00046.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 241

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AndyM said:
Looks like a fun vehicle!
And that is the whole point! The L-O-N-G range plan is to make this my daughter's high school car. Short range is to have some fun. My hope is that my daughter will help me (even with just some little things) fix it up. That will give her some psychological ownership in the Jeepster, and hopefully that will lead to her treating it just a little bit more responsibly (but it is probably too much to hope for any kid to actually treat any car with any real sense of responsibility). Anyway that is the hope. Have some fun, give my daughter some emotional investment in the Jeepster, and make her a nice car that she will hopefully take good care of. I'm thinking 2 tone - white & red?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
The L-O-N-G range plan is to make this my daughter's high school car.
And if my memory serves me correctly, to quote a line from a Cheech and Chong skit (on vinyl, before their movies)...
"Honerable General Sir... Are you out of your f***ing mind".

Bob - Don't you recall that the first (and maybe 2nd) car that a kid owns gets demolished? I'd propose you save this for her 3rd or later vehicle.

BTW - Congrats on your new toy!! :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Bob - Don't you recall that the first (and maybe 2nd) car that a kid owns gets demolished? I'd propose you save this for her 3rd or later vehicle.

BTW - Congrats on your new toy!! :thumb:
'
Wasn't it Dargo who took his Dodge dually and in the style of Ford's BIGFOOT monster truck drove over the hood of his son's Honda Civic :hide:

And actually if she helps me put this thing back together, and then she wrecks it, then I think she will learn one hell of a lession. Certainly that is not my hope, and I really suspect she may drive more defensively if she has a little sweat equity, and hopefully some fond memories, invested in the vehicle.

Of course I'll look like a real dope if it falls off the trailer on my way home from central Indiana where I have agreed to meet the seller.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
And actually if she helps me put this thing back together, and then she wrecks it, then I think she will learn one hell of a lession. Certainly that is not my hope, and I really suspect she may drive more defensively if she has a little sweat equity, and hopefully some fond memories, invested in the vehicle.
I wouldn't even risk it. She's going to spend the next 4-5 years helping you build it. It'll crush her if she wrecks it. (I mean the tear factor here...) Get her a POS for the first year or 2 then put this machine on the line.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I wouldn't even risk it. She's going to spend the next 4-5 years helping you build it. It'll crush her if she wrecks it. (I mean the tear factor here...) Get her a POS for the first year or 2 then put this machine on the line.
Oh come on, should we assume the worst or the best in people?
  • OK, I'll admit, she has one strike against her because she will be a teenage driver.
  • And strike two because she will be a female driver. :yum: :hide:
But I never wrecked a car, I've gotten into a couple minor fender benders, but never anything bad. Ditto my wife, brother, sister, etc. Sure it can happen, heaven forbid she could roll it and total it. But then again she could treat it like her baby and take care of it and it could be a great vehicle for her with a lot of sentimental value. My hope would be that she will be more responsible because of the time and effort she has invested in it, and in this day and age when kids are often careless and stupid, giving her some incentive (via the emotional attachment) might be a darn good thing.

Now from the other perspective, I could buy her a junker and expect her to treat it as a junker, and she probably would, and that in itself seems to me would be sending the wrong message. It is essentially saying, HERE IS 3000# OF DENTED & RUSTY DETROIT IRON, GO HAVE FUN AND DON'T WORRY IF YOU DENT IT SOME MORE BECAUSE I'LL NEVER NOTICE IT. That just doesn't seem like the subliminal message I want to send.