• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

And behind door three,,,,,,,,,

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
,,,a brand new Rhino!!! I ordered this thing yesterday for use upnorth. I didn't go whole hog with it, I got the 450. Since Jan and I are old guys, we didn't need to go 900 mph in the woods. It'll be mainly used for "slow" drives out in the boonies, and occasional towing a small trailer behind it taking "stuff" out to the back 40.

I wound up buying ANOTHER trailer today to haul it on, a 6X10 tilt bed. Got the thing home and within an hour I'd welded some stakepockets out of 3" channel on it. The trailer is made by American Manufacturing Operations. Never heard of them until today. It's a 3k trailer with new 15" tires and wheels, a 5/4 board deck and 12" high rub rails. It only weighs 600# empty. With the Rhino, it should be around 1630#, so even Jan's little Ranger can tow it.

Can anyone tell me what to attach to in order to haul it safely?
As soon as I pick it up, Monday, there will be photos.:tiphat::beer::beer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on the Rhino and new trailer John!

I was thhinking of getting one this year, but that has turned into electric to the pole barn and concrete for the driveway....maybe next year. :pat:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Doc! I'm hoping this thing will be quieter than my stroker rattling away. We may be able to get up on wildlife easier with this, and I know it'll be cheaper on fuel!:tiphat::beer::beer:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I'm jealous, John.

I really have use for a side by side, but there is no way I can justify the $$$ for a Rhino. They are just way too overpriced for what I need. I can buy a diesel Mule for what a 660 costs, and an almost new diesel Mule for what the 450 costs.

Still, the Rhino is a great machine.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
You'll love your new Rhino. I've had my Rhino a couple of years now and it's been great! Even with the 450 engine you'll have more power than all of the most common UTV's including the RTV, Gator, and Mule. Here is a pic of my Rhino and RTV.

Attachments

• RTV and Rhino.JPG
    RTV and Rhino.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 194

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent, nice looking machines! Do you trailer that Rhino? If so, what are the best tiedown points on it. I plan to use the rear hitch, with a ballmount with shackle in place of the ball. But what about the front? We got the green one too.:tiphat::beer:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I do trailer it plenty. I hook onto the bottom of the front skid plate. I don't recall what it looked like without it. :eek: I think there are good places easy to reach. Be sure to post pics when you get it!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Brent. I pick it up Monday, and I will post photos that evening, including the trailer.:tiphat::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Johnday

Congrats on your new Rhino and trailer.

I traded my Dad my 6x12' trailer for his 6.5x18' trailer so I'm thinking I too have to get a 6x10 since the big trailer is quite often too much.

I looked on that trailer mfgr's website but couldn't find it. They appear to mainly sell stock trailers. Anyway, I'll be looking around for one myself.

For securing the Rhino to the trailer, what I do with the RTV is to insert a drawbar with a ball into the rear receiver and use that as my tie-down point (running a chain or strap behind the ball then to the 2 rear corners.

For the front, I again use a drawbar but insert a clevace into this one and repeat the strap/chain but through the clevace.

I do it this way mainly because I do have 2 drawbars (1 w/ball, 1 without) since I don't like putting the ball on/off when I need a clevace or pin hookup.

:weneedpic :weneedpic

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thought I'd go ahead and post some photos of the trailer.
First one is a stake pocket I welded on when I first picked the trailer up. Made out of 3" channel. There are three more, all welded pretty much 12" from each end.
Next two are photos of the trailer itself. Sorry about the quality, but I think the idea can be seen.
Yep, no tailgate. On the inside of both rear uprights, there is a channel welded on that will accept a 2X12 for a gate.:tiphat::beer::beer:

Attachments

• Pic590 (Small).JPG
    Pic590 (Small).JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Pic591 (Small).JPG
    Pic591 (Small).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Pic592 (Small).JPG
    Pic592 (Small).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 180

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
I'm jealous, John.

I really have use for a side by side, but there is no way I can justify the $$$ for a Rhino. They are just way too overpriced for what I need. I can buy a diesel Mule for what a 660 costs, and an almost new diesel Mule for what the 450 costs.

Still, the Rhino is a great machine.
I've gat a friend that has a diesel Mule for sale, he's doing the brakes on my big truck right now. Should hear from him in the next day or two if your intersted. Wisconsin ain't that far away!:tiphat::beer:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Jon.......make some plywood side board inserts for the new trailer....they come in really handy for hauling mulch, dirt, cow poop for the garden etc, & keep all the fore mentioned out of the bed of your truck ! My little trailer was one of my best investments ......Keeps the truck looking like new...........

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
Jon.......make some plywood side board inserts for the new trailer....they come in really handy for hauling mulch, dirt, cow poop for the garden etc, & keep all the fore mentioned out of the bed of your truck ! My little trailer was one of my best investments ......Keeps the truck looking like new...........
Exactamundo!!! I definetly have to stick a piece of plywood in the front to act as a stone shield to protect the Rhino. Plan on using icegaurd as a membrane between the ACQ treated crap and the steel sides so they don't start corroding, and use stainless fasteners. The sides will come as I need them, and installed the same way. What's that they say about great minds?

Sure seems funny to have a trailer I can actually wheel around by hand. All my others have more weight on them empty than I can pickup by the tongue!!:tiphat::beer::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
Exactamundo!!! I definetly have to stick a piece of plywood in the front to act as a stone shield to protect the Rhino. Plan on using icegaurd as a membrane between the ACQ treated crap and the steel sides so they don't start corroding, and use stainless fasteners. The sides will come as I need them, and installed the same way. What's that they say about great minds?

Sure seems funny to have a trailer I can actually wheel around by hand. All my others have more weight on them empty than I can pickup by the tongue!!:tiphat::beer::beer:
Johnday,

If your trailler sides are the same height as mine, a 2x12 fits perfectly from the deck to the top of the rail. I used carriage bolts with wing nuts to attach. They come off quickly to use as ramps.:thumb:

Oh, and after taking your Rhino off the trailer, connect the trailer to the Rhino to get all your chores done.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Johnday,

If your trailler sides are the same height as mine, a 2x12 fits perfectly from the deck to the top of the rail. I used carriage bolts with wing nuts to attach. They come off quickly to use as ramps.:thumb:

Oh, and after taking your Rhino off the trailer, connect the trailer to the Rhino to get all your chores done.

Capital idea on the 2X12's, that would save some time cutting plywood.:thumb: On the later though, when the Rhino comes off the trailer, it be's PLAYTIME!!:yum::tiphat::beer:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
As anyone can see, this isn't Monday, but the Rhino came in Thursday night, and I took the weekend off to go get it.
Sure glad I didn't go with a shorter trailer, this thing pretty much fills it up length wise.
I ended up running a strap, [I know, a strap] behind the front bumper and hooked to the stake pockets I welded the other day. Thats going to change. I'm getting some D-rings and weld 2 on each end, and hookup that way. I think it will be better deal, I can pull straight from each end then.

Anyway, back to Jan's toy. This thing is ripe for accessories. Stick stoppers, winch, rear bumper, roof, windshield, and the list goes on. I think there are more add ons for this than for a tractor!
Jan really likes it, and she even let me drive it! It has a pretty decent ride, at least on pavement and the few potholes I couldn't dodge in time. The rear box has a squeak that I need to take care of, but overall, I'm impressed with it.
I'm posting some photos for viewer enjoyment!:yum::tiphat::beer::beer:

Attachments

• Pic593 (Small).JPG
    Pic593 (Small).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Pic594 (Small).JPG
    Pic594 (Small).JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Pic596 (Small).JPG
    Pic596 (Small).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 152

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
What's that in the background of the middle pic ? It lookes like some sort of HEAVY counter weighted industrial tractor type machine.................

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Tom! Yeah, that's a SuperDuty TC35DA.:yum: Looks like I better get back on that thread, eh?:whistle::tiphat::beer::beer: