• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

RTV 900, any interest?

Which is your favorite ATV/RTV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archdean

Just wondering if we can generate any interest here?

Dean

Attachments

• Sep292005 Dean's birthday 001 (Small).jpg
    Sep292005 Dean's birthday 001 (Small).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 284

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I voted 'other' largely because every time I look at side by side utility vehicles I end up disappointed in what I find. If I ever bought one, it would likely be the smallest unit I could find, and then it would largely be a transportation toy. But for actually doing work around the property, I would likely find any of the current crop of utility vehicles lacking. I am far more attracted to the 4x4 Japanese Mini-Trucks or the small tracked vehicles like the Cushman Trackster.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
If the Yamaha Rhino had fuel injection, it would be my first choice. I own both, but because of the cold nature of the Rhino, the RTV gets the most use. Otherwise, I prefer the Rhino. It has considerably more power, will tow more, will climb steeper hills, is much faster, and will haul as much as will fit in it's bed.

Chief

So far it would be a toss up between the Rhino and the Ranger XP. If Kubota would change to a engine that put out around 40 hp and did some mods. on the suspension to be more adept at rough ground and the trails; it would definitely be the RTV 900 hands down. For now I am buy a couple of Honda Ranchers to get around the ranch and other tracts of land.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
My side-by-side-by-side UTV. Much more usable and FAR less expensive!

Attachments

• plow.JPG
    plow.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 262

Kubota King

Av8r_2230 said:

Good point av8r! I use a toyota 4 x 4 truck the same way & i'll bet there isnt many places, if any at all, that the RTV will go that i cant with my toyota.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good point av8r and KK. A truck is more versatile, about the only place you couldn't go with it is between two trees 4 ft apart. Other than that I'd bet on the truck vs a RTV. But, I really don't think they are less expensive (brand new vs brand new), just more versatile.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Other than that I'd bet on the truck vs a RTV.

I doubt it....with that front blade on there, the approach angle on that truck has to be terrible. Might not even be able to clear an 8" log :eek:. Climbing a hill on a trail must be really interesting. :yum:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
DaveNay said:
I doubt it....with that front blade on there, the approach angle on that truck has to be terrible. Might not even be able to clear an 8" log :eek:. Climbing a hill on a trail must be really interesting. :yum:

This is where you spend some seat time on the TRACTOR and make a road that is passable for the truck (or UTV). :pat:

Junk, I'll bet that my crappy 'ol Chevy will ford as much if not more water than a UTV will. I'd bet that most anywhere that the UTV's are going a 4x4 truck will too. If true off road prowess is needed a UTV won't hold a candle to an ATV anyway, but there goes any cargo capability.

You can spend the $20K on a new UTV if you want, but I think I'll keep my $2500 truck. :thumb: :17875: :thumb:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had 4X4 pickups since the late 70's. I've never been without at least one 4X4 since then. I will have to say that, although I know we are talking about an RTV, my Yamaha Rhino will go so many places a 4X4 pickup won't that I can't even begin listing all the places. In swampy areas one of the biggest issues is weight, a 4X4 truck will be sunk and buried where I can get through in 2 wheel drive in the Rhino. Even with the most aggressive tires on a 4X4 pickup, it won't go up half the hills the Rhino will. The twisting, turning trails I have with plenty of hidden sink holes would be impossible for a 4X4 pickup. This is all besides the fact that if I do by chance get stuck on my UV, I can go out and drive a steel fence post in the ground, and winch myself out. This wouldn't be an option with a pickup. Also, the Yamaha Rhino will climb hills that even the most experienced ATV riders have simply passed on trying.

I currently have 3 4X4 vehicles; 2 pickups and 1 SUV. Both pickups have lift kits and aggressive off road tires. One pickup not only has the locking differential in the rear, but has an air locker in the front. It will go where most 4X4 pickups don't dare. However, if you even remotely think that a pickup will go where a Rhino will go, you obviously have never driven one. The RTV does fairly well, but does not have the power to keep the tires cleaned in really deep mud and does not have the power to climb really steep hills. Still, I don't think you can even make it in a heavily modified 4X4 pickup where even the RTV will go.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Dargo,

You are correct. I have never driven one, so I will stand corrected on my blanket statements of the capability comparasin. :eek:

However, I will say that for the money they get for a UTV, I can drive close and walk the rest of the way. :rolleyes:

Kubota King

This is all besides the fact that if I do by chance get stuck on my UV, I can go out and drive a steel fence post in the ground, and winch myself out. This wouldn't be an option with a pickup.

Both pickups have lift kits and aggressive off road tires.
However, if you even remotely think that a pickup will go where a Rhino will go, you obviously have never driven one. [/QUOTE]

Dargo -

I have 2 4x4 toyota's. Not sure if you have ever owned one but the steering radius is tight. One of my toyota's has a 3.5" suspension lift & a 3 inch body lift. I have 2 different tires I run on it. I have a set of 33" for agressive off roading & 31.5" for road trips. First I'd like to say that I can winch myself out with my bumper mounted winch, secondly, my yota has 3 a liter 6 cyl, when this truck is in 4 wheel drive low range, it is vertually unstoppable except as doc mentioned for a set of tree's 4' apart. This truck is very light so it rips threw mud with easy.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r_2230 said:
Why are we trying to compare UTV's to trucks?

Yep, they ALL can go off-roading.

As for cost, that's as moot as the comparison of a truck to a UTV... Comparing a 10 year old truck to a new UTV isn't really a fair comparison. Comparing a NEW truck to a NEW UTV is more appropriate, but then try to tell me that your truck is less expensive.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Kubota King, I do have an old '89 4X4 Toyo pickup with 33" tires on it. It also had the 3.0 V6, but it has always been extremely weak on power. Not that it matters off road, low range makes up for that. But on the road, that old V6 is a joke. The 3 cyl Suzuki cars run off and leave me in their dust. :eek:

Anyway, it does rather well off road and would be comparable to the RTV. Honestly, there is no comparison to off roading capabilities with the Rhino though. I'd really say that the Rhino would do considerably more in just 2 wheel drive. Really. The Rhino's are simply awesome off road. Another vehicle that can be had for cheap money that has become popular at our local 4X4 club is the Kia Sportage. You can buy a few year old one for next to nothing. Put some swampers on it and it will embarrass my venerable old Toyota! :( I would not have believed that until I saw it. For some reason, they are great off road.

For the most part, my trails are fairly narrow and then there are quite a few sharp turns into extreme hills. The RTV flat runs out of power on the steeper ones, and the small pickups would never get to them to even try due to the narrow confines. To be fair, the Toyota pickups were not designed for extreme off roading like the Rhino though. The Rhino will run 55 mph down the road going home, but it isn't exactly legal nor will you stay warm.

Kubota King

Dargo said:
Kubota King, I do have an old '89 4X4 Toyo pickup with 33" tires on it. It also had the 3.0 V6, but it has always been extremely weak on power.

Dargo - You have me really curious now about the Rhino, I may in the coming summer search for one on ebay. As for your 6 cyl toyota being weak on power I must say something must not be right with it. Mine is more of less stock other then the K & N air filter & it is fast on & off road. It will pull you into the back of your seat! I have raced & beaten lots of trucks & some cars with it for that matter. Mind you I used to own a Ferrari spider so I am not overestimating the toyota. I can do a break stand with easy on dry pavement, I can chearp 2nd & 3rd gear also.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I do have 210k (trouble free) miles on it, but it has always been weak. Maybe yours is a newer, improved, version. Mine is an automatic and zero to 60 mph is about 2 days. :yum:

It's getting sad now though. Cancer is taking more and more of my old blue and silver beast. :mad: I would love to find another, maybe early 80's model, for around $1500 or so. My nephew has had mine for a few months now and it will likely just become a gift. However, I'd love to find another older 4X4 one that I can use to drive up to my property and still be able to drive around most of it. If you ever see what looks to be like a decent buy on one in the midwest that is still mechanically sound, let me know.

Other than the obvious price hit for a Rhino, they are awesome. My two buddies who have been Polaris nuts for 10 years have both converted. Granted, the Polaris Rangers seem to be cutting edge on the technology, but they have always broken down almost on demand for them. Glen bought the new 700 efi Ranger and has already had it in the shop 3 times. My Rhino has never been in the shop. :thumb:

Kubota King

Dargo - Both mine are 5 spreeds. One is a 89' with 52,00 original miles. It had the recall on the heads & toyota installed new ones. I dont drive it much but maybe once or twice a month. I am the original owner. My 93' has 180,000 miles. it still has good power though. The 89' has more power due to less wear & tear.