• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bear baiting in Meigs county Ohio

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From the title, I thought bear baiting would be like a deer plot, one puts food out to draw in the bear. Wrong. It's more like cock fighting ..see below for details.
Some sickos out there. :angry:

Just down the road from me. I had never heard of this. Had you?

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/local-news/2017/11/bearbaiting-event-broken-up-in-meigs-county/

POMEROY, Ohio — A Meigs County man and West Virginia residents face potential felony charges after authorities interrupted an alleged event where hunting dogs were attacking a caged bear.

According to a release from the Meigs County Sheriff’s Office, the Ohio Department of Agriculture’s Enforcement Division executed a search warrant along with deputies on Saturday at the residence of Clinton Bailey on Bush Road in Long Bottom. Bailey is a dangerous wild animal (DWA) permit holder who owns a bear and was allegedly charging people $20 per dog to release the canines inside an enclosure to attack the bear.

The practice, illegal under Ohio Revised Code, is known as “bearbaiting.”

Bailey, his juvenile son, seven men, two women and eight children were present at the event, the release says. Most of the participants were from West Virginia, it says.

At least one child “was observed inside an unapproved enclosure while dogs were attacking the loose bear,” the release says. Two of the males also were in possession of handguns.

“Significant video footage” of the activity was obtained by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office Drone Team, the release says, with the Washington and Jackson County Sheriff’s Offices providing tactical assistance. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources and Ohio State Highway Patrol also assisted.

The bear was seized by DWA program personnel. Possible charges against Bailey and all spectators present will be presented to the Meigs County prosecutor for grand jury consideration, the release says.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a problem with the point but also have a serious problem with this.

“Significant video footage” of the activity was obtained by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office Drone Team

Why does the Sheriff's department have drones?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good question Brian. Franklin county is Columbus area why in the world would they have a drone over this action? I would guess Meigs county sheriff requested assistance to gather the evidence.
But that should open ones eyes. Big brother could be watching you when you least expect it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They have multiple task forces all over Ohio. Some have drones, others use planes, helicopters or dogs. They cooperate with other jurisdictions. The layout of the premises may not have allowed the local law enforcement to gather evidence safely, so they call in another jurisdiction to help out. Drones help out a lot when looking for pot growing operations.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They have multiple task forces all over Ohio. Some have drones, others use planes, helicopters or dogs. They cooperate with other jurisdictions. The layout of the premises may not have allowed the local law enforcement to gather evidence safely, so they call in another jurisdiction to help out. Drones help out a lot when looking for pot growing operations.
I had not considered drones searching for marijuana .. but we used to see helicopters every fall flying all over the area. Saw them land and DEA ground crew met them and hauled out some pot. But the last couple years I did not notice them. Thought it was because of lack of funds, or lack of pot growing so they quit.

Ha ...jokes on me. I bet the drones are in action flying over and they are in vans or cars somewhere viewing safely from the ground. Duh. I should have thought of that. :pat: