• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

m1009 glow plugs

marchplumber

Site Supporter
I just changed the glow plugs and relay on my M1009. Relay tested bad, but g.p. test "ok" for the most part. Went with an ST 85 four post relay from O'Reilly auto parts and AC Delco AC 60G Glow plugs. Gotta LOVE the back ones on both sides!! LOL Got em out from the underside of the blazer. Easier that way. Here's a photo of the old plugs. Honestly, they didn't look that bad, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

God bless,
Tony

Attachments

• glow plugs.jpg
    glow plugs.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 335

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
once they went to the double element glow plugs they stood up well remember your control card under the dash is no longer available .

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Actually Don, they are being made again by veterans here in USA. I bought two recently as spares. System wont work properly without them. Could go "pushbutton" but prefer the other features original system provided, like after-glow and time limits etc etc. I do like that truck though, but she is different than any other I have worked on.
God bless,
Tony

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I was re fitting them before we phased out the last ones to be replaced by m998's I like the glow plug control the Humvee uses better kind of like the older gm diesels also there is a relay under the dash that will fail it uses 12 volts from the ignition switch to feed 24 volts to the starter I found by using an isolated starter solenoid that that fix would last the life of the truck.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Yes, I've done that mod too! Simply used a lawn mower relay with appropriate ampere. Curious about the Humvee. I've never been around one. I was out before those critters came along. LOL On another web site that specializes in MV, they call the starter relay the "Doghead" mod. Can find it that way too. I'm glad she's up and running. Have to plug the M923 in and let her warm up. Be nice to fire her off this weekend too. Will be putting battery maintainers on the M1009 tomorrow. Actually, they are already on, but I will mount them permanently. I will be testing all the glow plugs and give ya a run down which ones were bad, correspondingly with the pic in first post.

God bless,
Tony

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
one thing to remember on those 855 motors is to warm the engine good we found by using starting fluid that they would rev 2 fast on start up and freeze the center main bearings. especially if it had sat a long time it would be good to crank a little bit until you got oil pressure.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Ok, here's the scoop. Truck starts well with new relay and g.plugs. Even with out being plugged in (coolant heater) she fires up on second attempt at 5 F. I didn't think that was terrible. Tested g.plugs again with a calibrated ohms meter. Hmmmmm, they ALL tested bad! Infinite resistance from electrode electrical tip to g.plug threads. Still scratchin my head how I got a different reading with 'em in the truck. Must be my very high skill level! ROFLMAO!! I had plugged in the M923a1 in last night. She has a block heater installed on second opening in the 855. Man, what a difference that makes!! Fired right off! No white smoke, no long cranking! Had heat in the cab in a short time too! Appreciate the help and support of FF!! Thanks!!

God bless,
Tony