• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1958 Tucker 443

funtracks

Yes, that clear door on the Timberline Tucker caught my attention, definitely on my list of changes! I'd hate for any squirrels to feel trapped in a cage....

funtracks

Didn't take long to diagnose the issue with the headlights, the ground strap came un-soldered and there were bare wires touching the rear metal housing of the headlight. Took them both off and rewired them, soldered all connections and added some shrink tubing for now. I have rubber grommets to ultimately stop the issue from happening again but won't get that done with all the cold weather right now in MN and working outside! It's ready for the Clowder (or as ready as it's going to be). We have just enough snow for a test drive, ran it around the soy bean field for over an hour yesterday afternoon without breaking down.

Attachments

• headlights shorted.jpg
    headlights shorted.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 333
  • headlights fixed.jpg
    headlights fixed.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 331
  • headlights on cropped.jpg
    headlights on cropped.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 315

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome! Good info to know on the sprocket covers as well. I have all of the rails & sprockets off getting blasted & sprayed and was wondering the same thing on the covers. Hammer back to shape? Make new ones? Screw it- leave them off!

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
Looking for some guidance on my rollers, I am cleaning and repacking everyone before putting them back on the restored tracks. I have a variety of configurations, bearing #4 I believe is the newest style with the spring loaded grease zerk and the other three have the screw. I searched the threads for more information about the metal shields and felt ring that are sometimes used but could not answer my questions. When I took off all my rollers I found some with no felt or metal shield, like #1, some with just felt like #2 and some with a metal shield and no felt like #3. I have a few spare metal shields but not enough to cover all my bearings missing them, is there a correct configuration of felt and shields or did it just change over time?

View attachment 88764

Did you ever get any clarification on the roller setup?

And what did you coat your tracks with?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
rrose, you leave the rails bare metal, the rollers will wear off anything you put on them, also, if you put grease on them, they WILL pick up dirt and cause additional wear and or damage to either the rail or rollers, after about 100 yards, the rollers and rails will be all polished and shiny

there were 4 if not 5 different styles of the basic rollers used over the years, for 1955, it would have been the screw covering the grease hole...all was determined by driving the costs down by the factory as to the set up/configuration, any 3/4 inch will work on your machine, including the new ones

so rrose, what are you trying to accomplish and or do? see if the gods can help you out.

Last edited:

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
so rrose, what are you trying to accomplish and or do? see if the gods can help you out.

Well, I’m starting with the tracks. I’ve got all 4 pontoons off and the Gobbler is in the garage. I’m almost done wire wheeling one tracks worth of rollers. I’m starting to notice that I’m about 50/50 on rollers (screw cap vs. other). I need to take all the rollers off the other 3 tracks and get a count of what I have. I wasn’t expecting your info about the screw caps being the right ones for the ‘55. I was kinda hoping it was the opposite. I’d like to have all matching, if I can possibly do that - that will be the next decision.

I’m gonna start a thread for the Gobbler here pretty quick. I don’t want to hijack this thread.

Appreciate the the info PP