• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sears

jwstewar

No, this isn't another thread about how Sears is dead.:sad: but actually a couple decent experiences.

We were looking for a new mattress and box spring in full size for our youngest daughter (8). We went to the typical places - Original Mattress Factory, Mattress Firm, Sleep Outfitters, Menards, Sam's Club, HH Gregg, etc. Had found one each at OMF and MF. Liked the one at OMF, but wasn't crazy about the price. Like the price at Mattress Firm, mattress seemed OK, but had questions on the long term reliability. So on a whim, we went into Sears right before we pulled the trigger on the one at Mattress Firm. Monica and my daughter found a mattress they really liked - a Serta (a brand that we've had good luck with) and the best part was it was at the same price as Mattress Firm. Thought we were done, but we didn't purchase it quite yet. We went home, Monica found it online at Sears website. Started loading up their coupons online and everything. We ended up getting this mattress for about $100 (less than $700 total including tax) less than the one at Mattress Firm plus free delivery sooner than Mattress Firm could deliver theirs and my daughter loves the new mattress. My wife has slept a couple nights with her and said it was very comfortable.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. We had a storm a couple weeks ago and lost a few trees. I cut the one tree up that was laying across the driveway with my old Craftsman chainsaw. It had been doing OK, but needed a new chain. Well, Monica got ambitious and wanted to cut some of the pine trees up before they died so she could give them to the goats. Problem is, I had run out of 2-cycle oil and I hadn't mixed the second can of gas (I was using the one I had mixed). Guess which can she used? Yep, she burnt my little old Craftsman up. I was able to finish cutting the one tree up because you had about 2 minutes run time before you had to let it sit for an hour before it would restart. I started looking. Thinking I wanted a Stihl or an Echo, leaning toward an Echo. Found one I wanted 18" bar 40cc for $299. Before I had a chance to buy it Saturday she called me home for something else. When I got home she said we had "points" from the mattress purchase. About $67 in points, plus she had a few others for a total of about $80 and they had a saw. It was a Craftsman 20" 50cc may by Husqvarna. Regularly $280 (but who pays regular price at Sears), on sale for $199. We looked on line it was on sale for $180. We then loaded up some more coupons on her loyalty card. All said and done, we got the saw out the door for $100.95. We picked it up in store about a half hour later. I went home and fired it up. Played with it a few minutes in the rain, seemed to run well and cut pretty good. So yesterday I gave it a pretty good workout. Cut the branches up from the one tree that had split, then finished cutting that tree down and cutting it, cut the remnants from another tree that had fallen, and then started cutting another pine that had split. Finally had to add gas and oil to it. Went back at it and finished cutting that split and then a few more branches that needed to come down. By that point, I was done, but the saw was ready to go for more. Not sure how it'll be long term, but for $100, I'm pretty impressed so far. Starts much easier than my F-I-L's Stihl - one of the reasons I was leaning toward the Echo - that and its 5 year warranty. Oh, this Craftsman has a 2 year warranty and a 10 year motor warranty.

Now, as far as what Sears actually had on the shelf, that was sad.

Oh, I had another positive experience too recently with Sears. I have a set of rachet wrenches. I broke the 9/16 working on the tractor. Walked into Sears with it, they didn't have the exact one in stock but were willing to substitute another one so that I wasn't out of commission, but I didn't like the sub for 2 reasons. It didn't match the rest of the set but also it wasn't angled. So they said, no problem, we will order it in for you and send it to your house. That was on a Tuesday and it came in the mail on Friday. I was very happy with that service as well. Hopefully they can make a comeback.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We HAD a Sears Hardware store sandwiched in between 2 giant home center/lumber stores and across the road from a 3rd home center/lumber store. It finally closed but I loved that little Sears Hardware.

We still HAVE a Sears Appliance store about another mile up the road from there. We've had excellent luck at that store and I hope it stays in business. Bought several appliances over the years from that store for "flipping" properties and for our own home. Always seem to have good prices and service.

Honestly I don't understand why Sears does not have a much larger internet presence. Seems to me they should have been able to muster something that rivals Amazon, but I think they missed their chance.

Still, I'm a fan of Sears.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a small Sears satellite store in our little town that I use occasionally. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought there. In fact I still use a generator that I bought there about 18 years ago. Still works like a charm.

I haven't been in one of their mall stores for many a year. They went from one extreme to the other. At one time when you went in to their store you had a sales person at your elbow all the time. It was almost as if they were stalking you. It got to be annoying. The last couple of times I was in there you couldn't find anybody to help you at all and no one at the register. Actually buying something was almost impossible and when you did find someone to check you out, they wanted all kinds of information like address, phone number and email address that had absolutely nothing to do with the purchase. I object to giving out that kind of information. I much prefer the "I want something, I give you money, you give me what I want to buy". End of deal. I don't want a life long relationship just because I wanted a new set screwdrivers.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I rarely shop at sears and we have the full store. Seems that every time I do look there I find they are more expensive for the same products that other stores carry

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Sears Kenmore 50 gal. electric water heater and it is fantastic. We can not run it out of hot water, even when the kids are visiting. It has 3 inches of foam insulation and a 12 year warranty against leaks, except for my plumbing. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm needing our Maytag fridge looked at. It's leaking water ever so slowly and it's not the tray underneath.
Since I bought at a Maytag store which has since changed their name since Maytag is no more ...but their phone line gives a quick busy signal like they are going going gone.
So I searched for Maytag appliance repair and Sears was near the top, saying they service Maytag and many other appliances. I'm at a loss since we always bought from and used the local appliance store. But from the internet search it appears Sears and Home Depot etc are now fronting for the repair men. To me that means a higher charge, since the booking store wil take some off the top and the repair person has to get their fair share. ....but still, I might give Sears a call tomorrow and see what the rates are.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm needing our Maytag fridge looked at. It's leaking water ever so slowly and it's not the tray underneath.
Since I bought at a Maytag store which has since changed their name since Maytag is no more ...but their phone line gives a quick busy signal like they are going going gone.
So I searched for Maytag appliance repair and Sears was near the top, saying they service Maytag and many other appliances. I'm at a loss since we always bought from and used the local appliance store. But from the internet search it appears Sears and Home Depot etc are now fronting for the repair men. To me that means a higher charge, since the booking store wil take some off the top and the repair person has to get their fair share. ....but still, I might give Sears a call tomorrow and see what the rates are.

In my experience, Sears has some very good repairman under contract. Also some stinkers. The problem is, you never which you are getting until too late.

Umberto

I think Maytag falls under Amana now. Went by Penney's today and they are now selling appliances.