• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leni

Whoa! Such language! If you take a look you'll see that this thread started long before you came here. :flowers: And I'm still the winner. :clap:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do think Leni is the winner. :clap: :clap:
Opps, I posted here ....so I guess now I'm the WINNER. Now where is that close thread button? :hide: :yum:

Leni

I was practicing the dance when the darn thing slipped off my head aand caught me in the lower leg. Took four stitches. Good thing that the surgeon on duty that evening was a top plastic surgeon.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Lot's of that flu going around. Going out to the Texas Roadhouse Grille tonight as I continue to celebrate my birthday week. One couple can't make it because of that darned flu. Get well. :big grin:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Have a fun evening. I just have no energy.

Ate like a draft horse. Full rack of ribs, loaded fries and a cup of chili. Washed it all down with a couple LaBatts Light. The waitresses did two line dances and as hard as they tried they could not get me up on the bucking bronco. Maybe if I had a few more Labatts I would have been more willing. :yum: Great time. :smile: Time for bed now. LOL.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, no eating out for me either. Too darn cold, the high today is 0F. Deceiving, because it is sunny and bright out, but cooooooooold!!!!

Thinking about making some Jambalaya with chicken and andouille sausage. It's easy and quick.

If we weren't trying to lose a few pounds I'd make a Boston Creme Pie, but if I do Mrs. TR will shoot me.

Leni

I love Boston Cream Pie but haven't had one in ages. Share your recipe?

By the way, it is a beautiful day here also. Windy but in the mid-60's.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sun is out here too. Temp is 29 now. That is the high so far today. I'd rather be in the mid 60's. That sounds GREAT.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I love Boston Cream Pie but haven't had one in ages. Share your recipe?

By the way, it is a beautiful day here also. Windy but in the mid-60's.

BOSTON CREME PIE

SPONGE CAKE

3 tablespoons butter
6 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
A little additional butter and flour for preparing the baking pan

1. Preheat your oven to 350°.* Put the butter into a small saucepan and melt at a low temperature.* Cool to room temperature.* Using the extra butter, coat the bottom and sides of the springform pan with the butter.* Lightly dust the inside of the pan with flour, and discard the excess.*
2.*Mix the egg yolks and sugar in the food processor until they turn pale and become thick.* Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl.* Add the vanilla and process for a few more seconds.* Add the salt and half the flour.*Pulse 4 - 5 until it's just incorporated into the egg mixture.* Add the remaining flour, and pulse a few more times to incorporate.* Alternately, you can perform these processes with a mixer.* I use a food processor because it's about twice as fast.* If you use a mixer for this step, be sure to clean the beaters well before proceeding to the next step.
3.* Using the mixer with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until they form a stiff peak.*
4.* Empty the egg yolk and flour batter into a large mixing bowl.* Add about 1/3 of the egg whites, and fold them into the batter with a few strokes of a wire whisk.* Add another third and fold in, and then add and fold in the final third.* Don't worry if the whites aren't thoroughly mixed in.
5.* Pour the room temperature melted butter on top of the batter.* Use your whisk or spatula to carefully fold in, being careful to not over mix.*
6.* Scrape the batter (which will be thick) into your prepared springform pan.* Use your spatula to smooth the top.* Pop into the oven, and bake for 20 - 30 minutes.* When the cake is golden brown and springs back when the top is gently pressed, it's done.* Don't over bake, as that will make it tough and dry.* Take it out of the oven, remove from pan, and put on wire rack to cool.

Shortcuts: mix the eggs all together with the sugar. Cake will come out slightly less dense, but still very good.
Use a store bought yellow cake mix if in a hurry only.

CREME FILLING

4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons flour

3 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, cut into several pieces
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1.* Heat the milk in the sauce pan until it's fairly hot, but not boiling or scalding.
2.* Put the eggs, salt, and sugar into the food processor and process for about 30 seconds until well mixed.* Add the cornstarch and flour, and process until smooth.* Slowly pour in the hot milk, and process for a few more seconds.
3.* Pour the mixture back into the sauce pan.* Heat it, stirring constantly with a whisk, until it thickens and comes to a boil.*Continue to stir constantly while you let it boil for 3 minutes.* It will become even thicker.* Remove from the stove.
4.* Stir in the pieces of butter and then the vanilla.* Dump the pastry cream into a bowl, and cover it with plastic wrap.* Put the plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pastry cream to prevent it from forming a thick layer on top.
5.*Refrigerate the pastry cream until it is completely cold.* The time required for this will depend somewhat on the temperature of your refrigerator, but count on at least 4 to 5 hours.* The pastry cream will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days, so you may want to make it on the day before you need it.

Shortcut Use two small boxes of instant vanilla pudding or one large box using ½ the milk so that the crème will come out thick enough to support top layer. Very important.

CHOCOLATE GANACHE

1/4 cup heavy cream
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

1.* Chop the chocolate into fairly small pieces.*
2.* Put the cream into the small saucepan.*Bring just to a simmer over medium heat.* *
3.* Add the chocolate and stir until about half melted.* Remove from heat and continue stirring until smooth.* As it starts to cool, it will become thick.

Slice the cake horizonitally and the pastry crème layer should be about 1” thick.

Leni

Many thanks. I used to be able to buy a mix for this but for some reason it has disappeared off the market along with spice cake.

Now I'm the winner. :brows:

P. S. It's 70 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.