• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best used truck?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I tried a 2012 dodge with the hemi the other day. Awesome power in that engine. Sounds great. With 4 growing kids the quad cab was a little small in the back seat. I'd have to get one with the crew cab but then I'd have to sacrifice a ft of box space. So dodge is out. I need the interior space of a crew cab as well as the longer 6.5ft box.

I found a 2011 ford crew cab with the 6.5ft box today. It has the 5.0l engine with dual exhaust that sounds sweet. It also has the factory towing mirrors and built in trailer brake control. Nice truck but I got back in mine and it drove just as good. So now I'm thinking that with the little mileage I'm putting on I'll just keep mine for a while longer till I know what's going on with my accident claim.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Been bouncing back and forth on getting a newer truck. I had been looking at potential replacements for the Ford but the driveline is like new now. She's running great so I had decided to just keep it a while longer. Then Sunday it left us stranded in a torential downpour. Started fine at home when we went out shopping. Came out of the store and ran to the vehicle in the rain. Get in and click. Click. All the lights work and battery tests fine. First thought was the starter. We get a tow and have it dropped in the driveway. Today I had dad crawl under and take a peek. I had already called around for a new starter. Turns out the main positive wire terminal had corroded almost completely off and was hanging on by just a couple strands. They finally let go. No problem. A trip to Napa and $5 later I had a new terminal for the wire. Cleaned it up and installed then gave all the terminals a coat of dialectic grease. She lives again. A lot better than $200 for a remanded starter.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. That's what I'm thinking. Not worth much for trade. So if I can get at least another year out of it without major issues then I can see about something around the 2014 mark.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been bouncing back and forth on getting a newer truck. I had been looking at potential replacements for the Ford but the driveline is like new now. She's running great so I had decided to just keep it a while longer. Then Sunday it left us stranded in a torential downpour. Started fine at home when we went out shopping. Came out of the store and ran to the vehicle in the rain. Get in and click. Click. All the lights work and battery tests fine. First thought was the starter. We get a tow and have it dropped in the driveway. Today I had dad crawl under and take a peek. I had already called around for a new starter. Turns out the main positive wire terminal had corroded almost completely off and was hanging on by just a couple strands. They finally let go. No problem. A trip to Napa and $5 later I had a new terminal for the wire. Cleaned it up and installed then gave all the terminals a coat of dialectic grease. She lives again. A lot better than $200 for a remanded starter.

When I hear stories like this on Fords I can't help but recall the Fix Or Repair Daily saying from decades ago. Sorry Brian. All of em need attention from time to time, not matter what make. I've owned something from all the American brands and quite a few foreign (Honda, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, VW). All need repairs. It's the nature of the beast.
Glad this repair was a relatively cheap one. Sucks to be stranded in torrential downpours.

As for crew cabs with short bed (5.5ft) I have one and thought it would be an issue, but I was wrong. With the tailgate down I have 2 extra ft and that works for most of what I've hauled. I had a 90 Ford 1 ton dually with the big diesel, crew cab with 8ft bed. Overkill for me and the length was a pain in the rear at times.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lol. Yes. Comparing the 3 big ones though.....I've had all three.

The dodge was a 95 bare bones 2wd regular cab with the v6. Tough truck. Front suspension parts seemed to wear out quicker. My 99 Chevy extra cab 4x4 was alright. The 4.8l engine was a little gutless though. The 2008 Chevy had a good engine but like clockwork as soon as the 60k warranty expired expensive repairs started. In amongst those three trucks I also had a 97 blazer, a 2004 Chevy impala and a 2003 dodge Durango.

I've had more general motors products over the years. They generally have a more comfortable ride and nice interior.

Fast forward to the current vehicle. This is my first ford. Thoughts.....ford dropped the ball with the 5.4 engine. Plagued with common problems across the board reliability is an issue. The engine itself puts out a good amount of power and comparing to the 5.3 Chevy it pulls my 31st camper better. However. Someone at Ford should have been shot and pissed on for designing a 3 piece spark plug that will disintegrate over time and separate into 3 pieces when trying to remove. The individual coils on each cylinder is another weak area and prone to failure. Exhaust manifolds crack over time and leak. Then there's the famous cam phaser issue. A $3500 repair. So overall not a good engine. The truck itself I like. It's comfortable and roomy inside. Tough truck overall. If I could take a newer 5.0l engine and put it in my truck I'd be a happy camper.

Fast forward to the current vehicle. This is my first ford. Thoughts.....ford dropped the ball with the 5.4 engine. Plagued with common problems across the board reliability is an issue. The engine itself puts out a good amount of power and comparing to the 5.3 Chevy it pulls my 31st camper better. However. Someone at Ford should have been shot and pissed on for designing a 3 piece spark plug that will disintegrate over time and separate into 3 pieces when trying to remove. The individual coils on each cylinder is another weak area and prone to failure. Exhaust manifolds crack over time and leak. Then there's the famous cam phaser issue. A $3500 repair. So overall not a good engine. The truck itself I like. It's comfortable and roomy inside. Tough truck overall. If I could take a newer 5.0l engine and put it in my truck I'd be a happy camper.

My thoughts exactly, and I've owned a lot of ford trucks.