• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Weather change

Bannedjoe

I started at 4:30 this morning.
Did the watering, some detail on the gutter work, and a second coat on the little porch roof.

It's 10:15 and already 110º out there. Humidity started at 20% this morning.

I think I'm done for today.

Fark, it's gross out there!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
11:30, and it's 120º.
Damn! Glad I replaced the AC.

That's what I said today. It was 102° and about 75% humidity. I started to work and said to hell with it and headed inside where it's a steady, cool 72° and that's where I stayed all day.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank, looks like this might wander over to your place. Lots of wind and lightening here. No rain so far.

Attachments

• CEA5A053-7B58-4A30-A3BD-11A091C23579.jpg
    CEA5A053-7B58-4A30-A3BD-11A091C23579.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 172

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Frank, looks like this might wander over to your place. Lots of wind and lightening here. No rain so far.

Yup, it got here. It started while I was mowing this afternoon. There was lots of thunder and lightening but not a lot of rain or wind. There was enough to get me to quit mowing though. Any excuse is good enough. It continued to rumble and flash but the real show started about 9 o'clock. It was pretty wild and the rain came down in buckets. I guess that I'm going to have to finish mowing tomorrow after it dries out.

The guy is supposed to start rebuilding my dam tomorrow morning. We'll see. It's going to be pretty wet out there.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
And just like that, someone turned the season switch to fall. It's been a hot summer up here. One thing I noticed is that as soon as the sun goes down, it gets cold. Like fall jacket and pants cold. I even turned on the fireplace for a bit today. It was down to 63 in the house.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
We're going to get a little taste of fall tomorrow nite with a low forecast of 31*F. I plan to get up about 4AM and monitor the temp so I can turn the sprinkler on the veggie garden.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's been nasty here for the past 3 days. Laura skirted to our east but we didn't see much rain or wind out of her. What we did get was incredible humidity. The temps have been running around 100°F but the humidity has been as high as as 85%, giving a heat index around 115°F. The air has been so thick that you can almost bite and chew it. It gets hard to breathe.

The wind needs to turn around and blow this stuff out of here. That's not supposed to happen until the middle of next week. After two days of hiding out in the house in the a/c, I was bored and went outside for about four hours. I was drenched, soaked in sweat. I'll tell you this, whoever invented the shower deserves the Nobel Prize. I spent 30 minutes in there and it was wonderful. :thumbup:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Another day of wind and rain. Cooler though only 80 predicted.

Attachments

• F2725C2B-7BEE-4DAF-BC31-42F5ECCF1028.gif
    F2725C2B-7BEE-4DAF-BC31-42F5ECCF1028.gif
    530.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 03212D4C-6336-4047-85E3-6130283B37E2.gif
    03212D4C-6336-4047-85E3-6130283B37E2.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 160

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The guy pretty much finished rebuilding my dam yesterday. He got it all seeded and mulched just in time for the rain to start. It's been pouring off and on since yesterday afternoon and it's still at it. It's supposed to keep at it for the next three days. Ironically, I don't want the rain at this exact moment. I have a bunch of tree limbs and branches that I want to put on the bottom of the lake and can't get in there because it is starting to fill back up and it's too wet for the tractor. Ah!, the best laid schemes of mice and men. The cooler weather is nice though.

Now you'll have to excuse me. I have to put a slicker suit on and go take the trash out. :hammer:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Major thunder storm now. We're in fall season. Last week it was still hot enough for shorts. About mid week, the temperature dropped and it's now pants and jacket weather. And single digit temps when the sun goes down.

I'm planning on pulling the boat out soon and switching gears to fall hunting season for the next 6 weeks or however long fall lasts until "gasp" snow hits.(usually late October early November)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The rain finally quit yesterday for a few days. It's only in the low 90s but after all the rain, the humidity is horrendous.

I tried to get an early (for me( start this morning but the tractor which started perfectly on Friday when I checked was deader that a Dodo. I finally got it started and mowed my way down in to the lake bottom. It was wet, soft and muddy down there. I decided to swap out tractors and use the little one to run stumps branches and other stuff down in there. If I get it stuck at least I can use the bigger tractor to pull it out. Well, that was the plan. I get the little tractor running no problem and swing out of the barn. Pheeeew. The left rear tire came off the rim. I nurse it up to the barn and jack it up. I'll mess with it later. Right now I'm using the Gator to run stuff down in to the lake bottom. I'll work at it as long as I can and then quit until tomorrow.

bill w

calling for between 15 and 20 inches of rain over the next 24 hours due to Sally...and winds to about 80 mph...still don't miss the cold north tho. Bill w

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're now in mid to late fall. The leaves have been changing and dropping for weeks now. It's supposed. To.....gasp....s....s....sn....snow a bit over the weekend then warm up slightly. Usually by Halloween we're looking for the winter jackets.
77785208d90d54f2399acbdf7ff02b3e.jpg
c724b2ba6012553dc5627653ead4f01f.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's supposed to be sunny, clear skies and in the mid 70s all week and in the low to mid 50s in the mornings. It's a glorious time of year to be in East Texas. Pity that it doesn't usually last too long.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The damp cold fall weather decided it would kick my a$$ today and leave me immobile. No feelings or strength in both legs. The ole barometer is spiked. High of plus 8 Celsius today and freezing rain/ snow.

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We were only a touch colder at -3 Celsius last night. It's supposed to snow a touch again tonight.

Oh my Lord. When I read stuff like that in October it makes me glad that I am where I am. Being born in Scotland, I was used to cold, damp, miserable, depressing weather but I just can't handle it any more, my knees start to stiffen up and my arthritis gives me hell.

Nope, I'm still walking around in shorts and T-shirts. It's fall in East Texas and it's one of the most beautiful times of the year anywhere. It just doesn't last long enough but I'll take all of these mid 70s days and low 50s morning that I can get. Beautiful!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd rather be here where we have 4 actual seasons. I enjoy winter and all the fresh snow. Just as much as summer. I grow tired of summer though. Fall time means hunting and getting everything ready to tuck away for the cold. Winter means snowmobiles, downhill sledding, snowshoeing, winter bonfires on the lake. Spring and summer means camping, fishing, swimming, and hot sun. Too much heat though and I get cranky. In the winter, I can always put on more clothes. In the summer however, I can only take so many clothes off without scaring people away.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a fall time picture showing the weather/season change.

Just a side note, the old ski jump in the picture is the former site of the Nordic games back in the 90s. Somewhere in the snowcat archives is a thread about the old abandoned ski hills around here.
c6aa09e47666c6ce217bb5d1455ab27d.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It is beautiful up here. Which is part of the reason I love hunting in the fall. The maple trees were just gorgeous with their red leaves. They were the first to fall last week.
cdd271902d6d26c37020983a2508cbe6.jpg
40d1a6fc0ab0a1e545387070191391d2.jpg
9853194910f29b7fed146c4d32f7a98a.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The leaves are almost all fallen now. It's pouring rain today. Good day to stay inside with my heated blanket as it's only +5 Celsius. The forecast actually calls for a light snow tomorrow. A little early as we normally get it by Halloween.
f7d5a6ce8afa03d622ac249ca6d6007d.jpg

I talk to myself to get an expert opinion.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just for comparison, these pictures were taken a week apart. Same spot in my backyard.
a30b66b274aa86e86483776b2fa22324.jpg
f0f3f3ec0e1dd420df753988ea046c5f.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I should take a walk to one of our many beautiful parks today for some pictures too, Brian. The leaves are at peak colour and just beautiful.

20201015_070231.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Just for comparison, these pictures were taken a week apart. Same spot in my backyard.
a30b66b274aa86e86483776b2fa22324.jpg
f0f3f3ec0e1dd420df753988ea046c5f.jpg

Fall leaf color is over here too. Usually in East Texas fall color doesn't last too long. About three weeks ago I had one oak tree start dropping it's leaves and I thought something was wrong with it. It was just getting an early start. Blowing leaves around here is an all year job but in the fall, especially if the wind is blowing, you have to do it sometimes twice a day. Out in the yard I just let them lay and mulch them with mower.

The weather around here has been brilliant for the past couple of weeks. It got up to the mid 80s yesterday but mainly it's been in the 70s and it's supposed to stay like that for a while longer but with a few showers in the forecast. Long may it continue.