• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Woodworking follies ...

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Kudos to Adillo for mentioning a router table to make raised panels. I didn't want to hijack that thread completely, so I'm starting this one.

So post your carpentry gaffes here!

One of my classics:

Back in 2001, my buddy asked me to build a wall cabinet for a stereo system that he kept outside in a covered dock\lakeside bar area. No problem. I chose birch, since it was pretty inexpensive to get cabinet grade plywood, and the local woodworkers' store had birch stock cheaply available, too. It's also a pretty close match to maple, bird's eyes and all.

I wanted to try all kinds of joinery -- plugged screws, pocket holes, biscuits, and dados. More importantly, I built a router table and wanted to try my new raised panel bit set (massive panel raiser and two cope and stick bits for the stiles and rails).

It turned out great! I finished it with spar varnish smoothed with .000 steel wool between coats, and it still has a nice sheen to it after being waterside for 9+ years.

But in my exuberance to make this thing (aka haste) I forgot something critical about biscuit joints. You don't put biscuits where the door panel will be raised. Duh. Here's the evidence:

Attachments

• SCAN0020.jpg
    SCAN0020.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 28
  • SCAN0021.jpg
    SCAN0021.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 28
  • SCAN0022.JPG
    SCAN0022.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 28

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Pretty nice JPR! I'd love to do that kind of work but I need a shop first. Right now I have to set everything up in the garage and put it away (usually the same day) or face the wrath of the one that wants to park her car inside.

I also figure my dogs would just walk up and shake water all over the finish after I stained it.

Someday, when the kids are gone and paid for I'll build a shop and get started on some cool projects.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
JPR, I'd be proud of that, biscuit joints or not.

Most of my disasters have resulted from mismeasuring things. Like the time I built a bookcase to fit in to a recess in our house in Dallas. I built it and finished it in our garage and I must admit that it looked pretty good but when I brought it in to install .... it was 1/2" too wide. I was cussing so badly that my wife actually left and spent the week-end with her parents and called on Sunday night to find out if it was safe to come home.

Since it was already finished , there wasn't much else to do except junk it, salvage what I could and start again.

I'm sure if I stop to think about it I've made more than one woodworking mistake in my life. No, no, no, I' not going to think about it.

Last edited: