• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fat fighting drug could let you lose weight without dieting

Bamby

Fat cells begin to overexpress a protein known as nicotinamide-N-methyltransferase (NNMT), as they get larger. NNMT acts as a metabolic brake which slows down fat cell metabolism, so the more of it that's expressed, the harder it is for the cells to burn fat – it's a vicious circle.

That's where the experimental new drug comes in. It blocks NNMT from operating in obese white fat cells, allowing their fat-burning metabolism to increase.

The researchers tested it by placing mice on a high-fat diet until they became obese, after which the animals received either the drug or a placebo. After 10 days of treatment, the drugged mice experienced a 7 percent loss in total body weight, plus their white fat tissue mass and cell size decreased by 30 percent compared to the placebo group. Their blood cholesterol levels also returned to normal levels.

By contrast, mice in the placebo group continued to gain weight. Both they and the mice that received the actual drug continued to consume the same amount of food throughout the study.

"Blocking the action of the fat cell brake provides an innovative 'fat'-specific mechanism to increase cell metabolism and reduce the size of white fat deposits, thereby treating a root cause of obesity and related metabolic diseases," says Harshini Neelakantan, the study's senior author.

"These initial results are encouraging and support further development of this technology as a new and more effective approach to combating metabolic diseases."

A paper on the research was recently published in the journal Biochemical Pharmacology.

Source: The University of Texas Medical Branch

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:wow: That drug maker will make a fortune ...and will cut into profits of other drug companies that give pills to obese for their aliments.

Bamby

I have but just one "prayer" Doc. Just know the huge volume of potential sales for such a product. I'd like to see them reject capitalism and distribute and sell it at a AFFORDABLE but profitable price.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have but just one "prayer" Doc. Just know the huge volume of potential sales for such a product. I'd like to see them reject capitalism and distribute and sell it at a AFFORDABLE but profitable price.
Of course that will probably never happen.
Because... big pharma and health insurers.