• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Battery Tender/Conditioner for low-use vehicle

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have an F350 that doesn't get much use. I had a battery trickle charger that I used to leave hooked up but I think it is wrecking batteries as I am now on my third battery in as many years.

What do you use/recommend for keeping a battery fully charged when the vehicle just doesn't get much use? It can go 1-3 months with no use.

I'm thinking I might be better off with nothing.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've used the Battery Tender brand for years without issue.

What were you using that killed the battery?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's a NAPA brand manual trickle charger. Maybe it's just bad.

Any recommendations for a good quality brand?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any recommendations for a good quality brand?
Deltran Battery Tender.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1424274360&sr=1-14&keywords=Battery+Tender"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
we use solar tenders up here that plug in to the cigarette lighter plug. in the military we had some permanent mount solar chargers that were hard wired to the battery they both work well and have reduced the number of batterys we go through and also have just about eliminated frozen batterys as long as they remain plugged in.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
For no longer than it sits, I would just get a disconnect switch and install it on the ground cable. On my old cars that works very well. Most newer Ag equiptment have tham as standard, for winter storage btw...Just have to remember to switch it off when not in use. JMHO..

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk the newer computerized vehichles don't take kindly to being disconnected for the long term. a trickle charger and a maintainer are 2 different things a maintainer will test the battery and only come on as necessary, where as a trickle charger works all the time. like I said we use solar maintainers in all our fleet vehicles that may sit for long periods of time, we have a Toyota that will draw down the battery in 2 weeks if it's not driven. since we installed the maintainer we haven't had a problem till recently when a smoker drove the truck and didn't plug it back in. most fire departments also use hard mount plug in maintainers too with good success.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I ordered a WaterProof Deltran Tender - I'll give it a try. I think maybe my old one was just bad.

Thanks everyone!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk the newer computerized vehichles don't take kindly to being disconnected for the long term.

Ya - reset radio code, synchronize windows, synchronize sunroof, set steering angle sensor, may have to reset trans adaptations, yadyadayada.....

Whenever I take the battery cables off, a 9v gets connected to the jumper posts first. Keeps all the memory for a while.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it was just a manual trickle charger with no smarts (aka electronics) to tell when the battery needs a charge then those will fry the battery after a while. It keeps charging whenever hooked up.
Battery Tender and others like it only charge when the battery needs it because they have the 'smarts'.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ya - reset radio code, synchronize windows, synchronize sunroof, set steering angle sensor, may have to reset trans adaptations, yadyadayada.....

Whenever I take the battery cables off, a 9v gets connected to the jumper posts first. Keeps all the memory for a while.

excelent points...:ermm:

If you vehical has those features. Old cars and such don't. Ag equiptment it ment to be shut off. You loose nothing.

On the pickup truck in question in this thread, my bet is the only thing it would need is a radio reset. And it may have to relearn a bit as you drive.

Tenders are a nice thing though, I just don't have the need. Your milage may vary..

Regards, Kirk

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been using the HF float chargers for several yrs now on boat, riding mower and ATV batteries w/ good luck so far.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been using an Advance Auto one on my Crossire for 3 years now with no issues. Maybe you got a bad unit that is overcharging your battery? I dunno.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I've been using these for years on all my seldom used equipment (I have a lot of stuff sitting around !)

The price is right & they're pretty much bullet proof:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-1-12S-CA-Automatic-Onboard-Battery/dp/B0000AXTUY/ref=pd_sim_auto_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1M6VATSBMH2C1FSY8SM3"]Amazon.com: Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps: Automotive[/ame]