• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help!! Need to buy wife "super" sewing machine

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy smokes! I went by a sewing place today to buy my wife one of those fancy schmancy sewing machines that will sew logos on ball caps, shirts etc. I was quoted around $4500 for a Berlinina (sp?) and a Husqvarna and $2500 for some other brand! Is this what it's going to cost?!! Hopefully someone here can help. I'm running out of time to order on eBay as it is! The eBay price was around $1000 to $1500 less for the same model I was finding locally, plus I didnt' pay sales tax; but of course, I'll remit it later when I do my taxes.

Anyone able to help me??? Again; needs are to be able to sew logos and lettering on shirts, caps etc. and do regular sewing. Help!!!!

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Dargo....I purchased my wife a $5000 dollar Husqvarna....computerized...downloads software for new things. Brother can this thing sew. She (and subsequently I) have not been unhappy with the choice.

Yes $5K is alot of money but she, I and my recently purchased tractor..:rolleyes: think it was worth every penny!!!

BoneheadNW

Wow! For five grand you can hire one of the oppressed masses (created by republican politicians) to do all of that fancy sewing by hand! :whistle:
Bonehead

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Wow! For five grand you can hire one of the oppressed masses (created by republican politicians) to do all of that fancy sewing by hand! :whistle:
Bonehead

Bonehead, not sure where you are getting your information, but I can get you in touch with someone who will get you 3 of them for a year for $5000. You are getting ripped off.:moon: I should mention, they are the imported versions, not the more expensive domestics.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Hate to say it but sounds about right. Bought my wife "just a sewing machine" and it ran close to $1500. A year later bought her a "Surger" (sp?) that does somthing else (what, I'm not sure:smileywac ) but around for that same price.

I looked at "those units" you're asking about, and 2k-5k sounds about right.

One nice thing about where I bought it is that my wife gets to take "free" classes there on the machines she has. Has been very informative for her, plus gives her a night out which she enjoys.

BoneheadNW

B_Skurka said:
Bonehead, not sure where you are getting your information, but I can get you in touch with someone who will get you 3 of them for a year for $5000. You are getting ripped off.:moon: I should mention, they are the imported versions, not the more expensive domestics.
Now I know where you get your labor pool from! :moon: Oh, but if I recall correctly, your labor pool and the rules you subject them to was the subject of another thread (is that hitting below the belt?)
Bonehead

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo,

I hate to say it but a sewing machine is probably like a car. We can do our best, and with the greatest intentions but on something like this, it may be best to put her in chair of the models and let her select. I tried this "sight unseen" thing with Mrs. Zoom on cars and sewing machines. I picked top-of-the-lin in both but it's not what she wanted.

Maybe a card with a "included with this card, comes a new sewing machine of your choice" should be considered. Word it better as what I just wrote can either get you a kiss or a slap upside the head.

Brian

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, that might be a good idea. But I would do it a bit differently. Buy a small toy sewing machine, wrap it up with a note that it can be traded in for the real machine of her choice.

But I do think you are correct about buying the wrong thing while trying to buy the right thing. My wife hates navigation systems in cars, never knew it until used the one in my car, now she never wants a car that has one. Not saying a car is like a sewing machine, but if Mrs Dargo wants a really good sewing machine, in her mind it may be a $500 to $1000 version to bascially do repairs to clothes. Now on the other hand, it might be that a really good sewing machine is the $5000 version. The point is, if you don't know, then you could totally screw up.

BoneheadNW

bczoom said:
Word it better as what I just wrote can either get you a kiss or a slap upside the head.

Brian
BC-
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets that sort of treatment. :batterUp:
Bone

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeesh! I think I really screwed up because the sewing salespeople I've spoken with all seem to tell me that the more expensive models are the easier models to operate. :eek: My sewing skills would be nil. I'm not sure Mrs. Dargo has ever used one. An "easy to operate" model looks like a must. According to Mrs. Dargo's sister, iron on patches will not be a good substitute. :mad:

Oh yeah, I knew I was in trouble when on one brand (I forget which), they had 60 month financing on a sewing machine!! :eek:

OkeeDon

Betsy is a serious quilter, belongs to a couple of quilt guilds and has taken quilting classes at Appalachian University in Boone, NC every year for the past 17 years. So, I hear about most of the machines.

She does all her work on an ancient Singer portable. She also has a newer Brother that she won, worth about $300, which is lighter weight to take to classes. She also has a fancy serger I bought her a few years ago for about $1,000; she almost never uses it.

But, she is going against the grain. Most of her peers have at least a $2,500 Pfaff; many have the more expensive machines. The primary difference is computer design and computer control. If the logos Mrs. Dargo will be applying to the caps and shirts, etc. are custom, she will appreciate, and probably need, the computer capabilities. Imagine turning a digital drawing of a logo into an embroidered logo without human intervention...

...If the idea is that she's going to do some shirts and hats for one of your kids' teams or for your company softball team, tell her to sneak out your back door and into the back door of a tee shirt company, pay them to do the work, sneak them back in your back door, then walk out the front and donate her "handywork". It will be a lot cheaper. If she's thinking she's going to have a little side business, just don't burden her with things like break-even analysis -- it will take a LOT of hats and shirts to break even. Just buy her the most expensive machine as your "contribution" to the endeavor and don't mention what it cost.

Back to Betsy; while all the other women in her quilt guilds are playing one-upsmanship and "can you top this" with their expensive machines, she's usually the center of attention while she turns out beautiful work on a machine you could probably pick up in a pawn shop for $50. Kind of reverse snobbism. Must run in the family -- I'm enjoying all the attention my little Mercedes-based Sprinter RV is attracting from all the "keep up with the Jones's" diesel pusher types.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn, you guys scared me so much that I just wrote her a check today. I know it's not very romantic, but I didn't want to buy the wrong thing. I told her that she could go buy whatever sewing machine she wanted; or a new car. :eek:

Gees, there goes the new Brembo disc brakes I was going to put on my '62 Biscayne, along with the new intake, line lock, and Strange spool etc. :(