• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What was she thinking?!?!?!?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This girl walks into an airport with what appears to be a bomb on her chest.

Story is HERE and included below.

BOSTON — An MIT student with a fake bomb strapped to her chest was arrested at gunpoint Friday at Logan International Airport and later claimed it was artwork, officials said.

Star Simpson, 19, had a computer circuit board and wiring in plain view over a black hooded sweat shirt she was wearing, said State Police Maj. Scott Pare, the commanding officer at the airport.

"She said that it was a piece of art and she wanted to stand out on career day," Pare said at a news conference. "She claims that it was just art, and that she was proud of the art and she wanted to display it."

The device had wires connected to a battery, allowing it to light up, he said. Simpson also had Play-Doh in her hands, he said.

Simpson was charged with disturbing the peace and possessing a hoax device, and was to be arraigned in East Boston District Court later Friday.

"I'm shocked and appalled that somebody would wear this type of device to an airport," Pare said.

Simpson was "extremely lucky she followed the instructions or deadly force would have been used," Pare said. "She's lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue."

Simpson is a Massachusetts Institute of Technology sophomore from Hawaii, officials said. A spokeswoman for MIT had no immediate comment.

She was arrested about 8 a.m. outside Terminal C, home to United Airlines, Jet Blue and other carriers.

A Massachusetts Port Authority staffer manning an information booth in the terminal became suspicious when Simpson — wearing the device — approached to ask about an incoming flight, Pare said. Simpson then walked outside, and the information booth attendant notified a nearby trooper.

The trooper, joined by others with submachine guns, confronted her at a traffic island in front of the terminal.

Pare said Simpson took a subway to the airport, but he was not sure if she had the device on at that time.

"She was allegedly picking somebody up," said Pare.

The major praised the booth attendant but said the incident is a reminder of the terrorism threat confronting the civil aviation system. Two of the four passenger jets hijacked on Sept. 11, 2001, took off from Logan.

"In this day and age, the threat continues to be there," said Pare. "She certainly jeopardized her own safety by bringing this to the airport, as well as the safety of everybody around her."

The city was the focus of a major security scare Jan. 31 when dozens of battery-powered devices were discovered in various locations. Bomb squads were deployed, and highways, bridges and some transit stations were temporarily closed. They turned out to be a promotion for cable TV's Cartoon Network.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
You make a gigantic leap of logic to assume she was thinking at all.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I hope she got the boot in the back treatment and maybe a little taser action.

Nothing says "art" like a dumb college kid pissing their pants while being tasered.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Nothing says "art" like a dumb college kid pissing their pants while being tasered.
The headline for the story is "Lucky she's not in our morgue" (but they didn't say who gave that quote).

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She is clearly not burdened with an over-abundance of common sense.

She conversely has burdened her parents with excessive tuition bills.

mak2

Just for future referernce, dont taser someone with a bomb on board. something about explosives and electricity.:idea:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Just for future referernce, dont taser someone with a bomb on board. something about explosives and electricity.:idea:

Good point. Maybe just a few jolts after she was disarmed? Like I said, it would be a great form of artisitic expression. :thumb:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The Boston News has said that she made the "device" for a project that they had yesterday and that she was very proud of her "art work" and was at the airport to pick up her boy friend and wanted to show her "creativity" to her. There still isn't any explanation as to why she was carrying play dough. I will say that she is extremely lucky, because I am very surprised that they just didn't shoot her on sight and ask questions later.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
It was all planned and an MIT student that is So Proud of this so called art work? It was a blatant attempt to stir the pot. Leftist liberal thinking idiot!

HarryG

Obviously she has no common sense. I'll bet mommy/daddy coddled her.
She came within a micro second of being blown away by the SWAT team.
This photo of her arrest shows she has no clue.

Attachments

• 6_63_092107_simpson_arraignment.jpg
    6_63_092107_simpson_arraignment.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: