• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Flatbed trailer platform modification

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone has any advice on building a deck over the wheel wells on the flatbed trailer to put a cat on top?

My flatbed isnt wide enough, and not really looking to buy a different trailer just yet where deck is flat throughout the top.

So, the question is - anyone built a deck over the platform out of 2x4s or similar, so that way it can be used to tow cat, and removed for other necessities ?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We built up a removable structure. I will text you photos.

Attachments

• DSCN2751.jpg
    DSCN2751.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 288

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Better yet, buy this trailer and sell your old one. If it can haul a crusty, I wood think it wood haul a Frandee?
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/tro/d/bellingham-tilt-bed-trailer-deck-over/6798921578.html

I'm looking into getting a trailer like that possibly, but I dont have the time to run up there to get it from Marco,

plus my initial goal is to build a flatbed dually truck that can haul a cat on itself, thus purchasing such a specific trailer will be pointless...

Temporary deck addition/mod is perfect like the one you showed, thanks guys

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
For several years I used a 18' car hauler trailer with a network of RR ties and 2 x 4s bolted together as cribbing to get the tracks above the fenders. It worked, BUT it was really somewhat hokey. The trailer had steel ramps that locked into the trailer and I'd put some short lengths of RR ties on top of the ramps to help the Tucker crawl up on top. That could get sketchy if the blocks slipped, and that happened a few times. The snowcat would start to slide sideways and believe me, that's NOT a pleasant experience.

I subsequently bought a long deckover flatbed trailer, so my days of Rube Goldberg inspired snowcat hauling are over.

This is one of those "Yeah I did this, and I got way with it, but I don't recommend it" situations...

Here's a photo.

DSC01149.jpg

rdynes01

Anyone has any advice on building a deck over the wheel wells on the flatbed trailer to put a cat on top?

My flatbed isnt wide enough, and not really looking to buy a different trailer just yet where deck is flat throughout the top.

So, the question is - anyone built a deck over the platform out of 2x4s or similar, so that way it can be used to tow cat, and removed for other necessities ?

Look for a local Mom and Pop sawmill that can mill cants of any size and length you need. Also look at engineered floor joists.....Bob

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys, I'm looking for that perfect "shop truck" that I can build to be a lowrider style platform to haul such stuff as cats and other cars that need a flat deck without the wells getting in the way.

At this point, I see the suggestions and will consider as I build my temp setup tomorrow.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what I did for my Frandee. I have a 16 ft car hauler trailer with 3500 lb axles and side rails that are just over the wheel fenders. I built two boxes out of 2 x 12s and 3/4 plywood, they are each 2 ft wide with the back end ramped down. I added cleats to the up ramps to allow the tracks to grab. I was worried that the plywood top would get slick so I went to our local farm supply store and bought 3/4 inch thick rubber that they use for animal stalls. I attached the rubber with short grabber screws (the heavy outdoor type) and stainless washers to spread the load out. I did not screw the boxes to the deck, but instead used two spacers, one front, and one rear, that wedge the boxes into the side rails. I also have the ski mounted between the boxes so there are additional supports I did screw to the trailer deck, but you probably do not need that. One thing that is bad about the Frandee is that the undercarriage collects a lot of snow and once on the trailer it falls off and builds up after a while. One nice thing about my low deck and the ramps on the ends of the boxes is that I do not need to use the ramps to load or off load. To off load I can just back off the trailer, to load I put a short 6 x 6 in front of each track about 2 ft behind the trailer, the cat climbs up those blocks and bites into the trailer. I added stop blocks so I alway load to the correct front-back location. With this set up I can off load and load in 5 minutes, including tieing it down. Works well for me. Oh, one other thing, with the cat up high like this, I have had somewhat slick rubber surfaces, you must be very careful when loading so you don't slide off the deck, that would be a bad day for both you and the cat. I always make sure my deck is cleaned of extra snow and I try to keep it level (side to side) so I don't slide off. Oh ya, one other thing, the cat sits very high up, I think mine is at 10-1/2 ft, well above the truck, I worry about taking a rock in the cat windshield when driving down the highway, so I am going to make a plexiglass protective cover to go in front of the windshield when I am traveling.IMG_20190125_172209520.jpg

IMG_20190125_172257406.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
It may not be the best looking option, but it works well, and when I need to use the trailer as a flat bed it does not take to long to remove the deck, however I only install just as winter gets here and then remove it just as the snow leaves. I do not take it off mid season, fortunately I have a friend who can lend me his flat trailer when my deck is installed on mine. If you have any questions or want more photos send me a message or give me a call (208) 221-5595.

IMG_20190125_172323482.jpg

IMG_20190125_172341658.jpg