• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Saving Private Ryan

Cityboy

Banned
I just watched it once again with my kids. That movie tears me up every time I see it. It will really make you think about the true price of freedom and the sacrifice made by our greatest generation. Those guys are dying off by the minute. If you have a WW2 veteran in your family, call him up tonight and thank him once more. If you have a neighbor who was there, go visit him. I have memories I cherish of my former neighbor Tom Tanner, who passed on a couple of years ago. I used to spend hours with him, sharing cold beers and his stories. I tilled his garden for him every spring and fall and felt it a privilege to do it, and anything else I could do for him.

Go out and rent the video and watch it again, or for the first time if you have never seen it. It will make you stop and think.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimR

Charter Member
I can truly and honestly say that I am more proud about my own father than anyone else that I know. He was a WWII vet. He served in Africa and Europe during the war in the combat engineers. He started his stink with a D-Day landing at Fedalia, Morrocco. From there they landed at Sicily, Salerno and Anzio, Italy. Last stop was Normandy. He never fully recovered from the war mentally. It took its toll on him and he drank way too much. His brother had a nervous breakdown during the war from bombardments. He never fully recovered mentally either. Such a shame and what a loss of life there was in that war. God bless their souls as they have both passed on to heaven I hope.

Cityboy

Banned
My Dad was an Army drill instructor at Camp Wheeler in Macon, Ga. During the war. He was also one of the younger men, born in 1925. When his unit deployed from Camp wheeler, he was held back to train the next batch of recruits. His entire company, from the company commander to the last private was killed in the Battle of the Bulge. I think he suffered survivors guilt the rest of his life wondering why he was spared and all the others died. De died young of cancer in 1987. I was 23, shortly out of the Marine Corps, and had finally reached the age when I had sense enough to really appreciate my dad and listen to, and actually learn from his wisdom. Then just like that, he was gone. Life is so short.

I also had two uncles, one a Marine who fought on Iwo Jima and the island campaigns, and another in the Navy. They both died young after the war.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy said:
Stercus accidit

I was confused for a minute. I got out my 4th year Latin book and that translated into "upon every life, dung must fall". Then I got the non-literal meaning. :tiphat: