• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mid 80's bike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking to get back into the motorcycle scene with something cheap to start out with.(since I do have 4 kids) Currently looking at an '84 honda Shadow 750VT and an '85 yamaha virago 750. Don't need to go any bigger than that for engine size since the insurance rates in Ontario are ridiculous for anything bigger than a 750 when you haven't insured a motorcycle in years. Figure I'll start out with something that size for a year or two then upgrade to something newer and bigger. Haven't had a bike in about 12 yrs now.
e6erema4.jpg

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    $_35.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 285

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The first one is my brother's 85 virago 750 he is considering selling in order to upgrade. The second is a Honda for sale locally. My bro just got his on the road after installing new exhaust. They installed it last Tuesday and he made a 2000 mile roundtrip with it on the weekend.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Went to look at a bike tonight. Very serious about getting it. Its an 85 honda magma v45. 750cc. Only 28k kms on it. New tires and fork seals. Bike could almost pass for new.

8edu7aty.jpg
ahaqapuj.jpg
gapu3ebu.jpg

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Very nice looking Honda Magna motorcycle. I doubt you will find one any better condition of that vintage. If the price is right jump on it and take it home. Motorcycles of the 80's actually had more metal such as the fenders while the newer ones are plastic in many places and just not built as well but cheaper. I have a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan with only 4825 miles for sale. Too bad you were not closer and maybe we could make a deal. The Honda Magna is a great fun to ride motorcycle and will last you a long time if take care of properly. Enjoy the ride. :biggrin:

DSCN0145 (Medium).JPG

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd jump on it right now if it weren't for having to pay for a honeymoon and wedding in 3 weeks. That kinda takes priority accordin to she who must be obeyed. I told the guy I would keep his number and give him a call after the wedding is paid for and I know how much money I have available to buy a bike. It's one of those deals that just fell into my lap a little sooner than I had planned.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd jump on it right now if it weren't for having to pay for a honeymoon and wedding in 3 weeks. That kinda takes priority accordin to she who must be obeyed. I told the guy I would keep his number and give him a call after the wedding is paid for and I know how much money I have available to buy a bike. It's one of those deals that just fell into my lap a little sooner than I had planned.

Never let a woman come between you and your motorcycle. If you do your days of riding are numbered. :clap: After the wedding I mean.....:w00t2:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I'm kickin myself in the butt now. The bike sold by the time I had the cash freed up to go get it. Ah well, the search continues. Been looking at a 1980 Yamaha XS1100 special. This bike is a little rough around the edges but still has potential with a little TLC. I had a 1979 Yamaha xs 650 special before. Tough bike. This 1100 needs a rear tire and some cosmetic tlc on the front end. But I can get it for cheap. I went to take a look yesterday and she runs great. The side covers are missing in the photo but the guy has them.

Attachments

• $_20.jpg
    $_20.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 238

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I found the right bike for me. Its an 84 honda magna v45. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Its got a few minor cosmetic issues but the basics are there. New tires. Runs great.

7794b4ef87ae163a376035b86eb3d603.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm soo looking forward to it even though we're enaring the end of the riding season here. I haven't had a bike in 12 years. I miss it. Had a Goldwing previously. Also had a Yamaha xs650 and a honda nighthawk 450 in the past. Blew the nighthawk's engine. Not really a good highway bike. The 650 was alright but I remember my butt almost ready to fall off after 30 miles because the seat was soo hard. The thing also rumbled like a harley. Not a bad bike though.

Can't wait to get this bike out on the road next week.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Groomer,

I bought a 1982 Kawasaki 1100 Specter recently from a friend locally. My first bike...

I like it alot, but the seating position is wrong for a guy at 6'3". Good thing I don't plan any longer rides. At 30 miles I have to get off and walk around for a bit...

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I brought her home tonight. Tomorrow, I'll be changing the mirrors and adding highway pegs. Like you said Kirk, not very comfortable for a guy 6'3". I actually lucked out. My bro has a set of mirrors and hwy pegs he didn't use on his virago I'll be putting them on mine.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here she is all cleaned up. I decided to go ahead and change the front tire today after I discovered some weather cracks in between the tread and around the bead. Other than that, she's in excellent shape and ready to ride. I installed the mirrors from my bro but couldn't install the pegs since they are designed for a 1 1/4" bar. So, I decided to go on ebay and found basically the same set that will fit the bike for less than $20. I also figured that since I'm on ebay I would take a look at saddlebags. I found a nice leather set for $45 new. They are now on their way.

So I took the front tire off the bike last night and brought it down to a local bike shop to have the rubber replaced. I went with a Metzeller (sp?) tire. The bridgestones that were on there still had good tread but I didn't want to take a chance with the weathercracking. While I was at the bike shop this morning, I decided to try on helmets. I walked out with a nice open face half shell helmet with a pull down sun visor built into the helmet so I don't have to mess with shades while riding.

I got a damned good deal on this bike. As she sits in the picture below.....$1000. Only 35k kms on her. Barely broke in.

Attachments

• 20140915_155204.jpg
    20140915_155204.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I decided to order a set of leather saddlebags and footpegs on ebay. Ordered them Sunday. Got them in at the border on Wednesday. So last night after work I took a ride to the border to pick them up. Its only a 40 mile drive. Up here, the bags were anywhere from 150-200. I got them for $45. Worth the 40 mile drive.

e95225453dd7d3c4a16942b0cc4354d3.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I love the bike. Missed riding soo much. This thing is going to save me lots of money during the summer months. I have to have transportation at work. Unless I'm transporting a child, the transportation doesn't have to be a car/truck/van/suv. So I can bring my bike and use it to do all my driving around when I have to go see kids etc. The gas alone that I will save will more than pay for the bike and insurance within a few months. Plus, I get to cruise around on company time and get paid to ride.:brows:

When I drove to the border last night, it cost me $9 in fuel. With the durango to drive down and back would cost me about $35.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the seat on your bike. Looks comfortable for sure. Is it factory, or aftermarket? I need some pegs for mine....

The bags look like a worth while addition as well. Kinda rounds out the package. Great price too!:smile:

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The seat is factory but has been recovered. Pegs were only $25 on ebay. I ended up removing the bags last night and turning them around. Looks better slanted back.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ahhh. The joys of owning an older bike. So the wife has never been on a bike before. I took her out and bought her a new helmet. The plan was to go for a ride out for supper then over to my weekly band practice.
The bike ran fine across town till we got to the restaurant. When we came out, I fired it up and as soon as I put it in gear it felt like the clutch war was slipping. We ride two blocks and now I barely have any clutch when I shift.
I unscrew the two screws holding the cover on the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch lever. The reservoir was nearly empty and now I had air in the lines. Crap.
So after band practice I get a lift to a garage to buy some brake fluid. I get back and fill the reservoir. Still nothing. No pressure. So I get a lift home to grab the durango and trailer. Got her loaded and back home.
Discovered this morning talking to a local bike shop that I have to reverse bleed the line going to the clutch lever. Now. Easy and cheap way to do this is to buy a larger syringe and some clear hose. Attach the hose to the syringe then suction out of the bottle new brake fluid making sure there's no air. Attach the end of the hose to the bleeder valve then loosen it. Remove the cover and baffle on the master cylinder reservoir and force new brake fluid up till there's no more air bubbles coming out. Tighten the valve and reinstall the master cylinder reservoir cover. Next. Remove the line going to thr reservoir. Its all good to go so make sure no air gets in. Place your thumb over the open hole on the master cylinder. Pump the clutch lever till oil forces tour thumb away. Hold the clutch lever halfway and reinstall the line. That did it. Clutch working perfectly now.

Umberto

This was my 86 FXRS-S which I sold in Germany. I was going to upgrade to a Soft Tail but buying a house and putting 3 men through college changed that idea.

P1010077.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got back from a short ride. Only a couple degrees above freezing today. Bike is running great.

b368e7711defbca77a586187a1ee7484.jpg

this will go along with all your krusty jokes you know the difference between a Harley and a hoover?
you can only get one dirt bag on a hoover.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That didn't last long. I have the bike for sale. Looking at upgrading to a touring bike so the wife and I will be more comfortable. Have my eye on a Yamaha venture about the same age.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Cancel the touring bike. The missus has decided to get her license as well so I found a nice bike for her to learn on. It's an '84 Honda v30 magna. In good shape for the year. Basically the smaller sibling to my '84 magna v45.
0e2ed54d8f546e44db0679b48f2a0d12.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just for comparison purposes I went out to the garage to take a picture of the v45 in order to compare with the v30. First thing I do to the v30 after getting it home will be to remove those butt ugly mirrors that stick up 2 ft in the air and replace them with something a little more appealing to the eyes. Of course a good cleaning will be in order for it. Overall its in just as good of shape if not better than mine. Runs like a top. Shifts smooth. Im surprised at the amount of power coming out of that 500cc engine. I had an '85 Honda nighthawk 450 before and it had nowhere near the same performance as this bike. This 500 should be comparable to the 750 seeing as its a bit lighter.
ce23a1066643d9fb084b00132cbe4214.jpg