• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

So cold...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
This morning, it was so cold the tractor wouldn't start. I forgot to plug it in overnight and all it did was crank over about 1 or 2 times per second. :(

It's plugged in now, so I won't have to feed the horses in the morning with the pickemup truck.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
10 degrees out right now. I plugged the Stroker in last night. It BETTER start!!!:smileywac :D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Too dark to see the thermometer right now but accuweather shows us in the mid teens.
Brrrr. I guess winter is finally here.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
5 degrees at home this morning and I don't have propane for the heater and I don't have 'PowerService' in the fuel. As I drove to the office the temps climbed to 9 degrees as I got closer to Lake Michigan and its moderating effect on the temps.

But there is always tomorrow to look forward to.

We are due for a warm front and the high for the day is supposed to climb over 20 degrees!!!!:coolshade

Last edited:

BoneheadNW

Bob-

A question: How long before starting the tractor do you have to plug it in? Does it have to be left overnight or could you plug it in just a couple of hours before starting?

Bonehead

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually I don't plug my tractors in at all since I don't have a block heater on any of them. The Kubota is the fortunate one, it comes north in the winter to plow snow and is in a heated area. The NH is in my home attached garage during the winter, my attached garage, is warmer than my detatched garage. When things are really really cold, I will aim a radiant propane heater at the tractor for about 30 minutes.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bonehead,

A couple hours is more than enough.

I put mine on a 24 hour timer and have it start about an hour or 2 before I think I would go out (right after work and before Mrs. Zoom gets home).

Brian

cj7

The timer is a great idea.

I made the mistake of having a tractor plugged in overnight (when I had to keep it outside)

Lets just say our electric bill was a little higher than normal. (did not go over well with the wife)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
cj7 said:
Lets just say our electric bill was a little higher than normal. (did not go over well with the wife)
Oops.
I think I set mine for about 2 hours. Even if I'm late and start it an hour after the timer stopped, it's still plenty warm.

messickfarmequ

Charter Member
I am surprised you guys have this much trouble. I hop on tractors covered in 6in of snow all the time and after 30-45 sec on the glow plug they fire right up. Sure your batteries aren't weak?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
messickfarmequ said:
I am surprised you guys have this much trouble. I hop on tractors covered in 6in of snow all the time and after 30-45 sec on the glow plug they fire right up. Sure your batteries aren't weak?

Brand new battery this summer. 6" of snow is not the problem, it's the 2 deg overnight temps that do it.

:fr2:

(That's -17 C for you metric people)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Neil,

I wouldn't say "I need" to plug them in. I just prefer to do it. On the RTV, I also have a heater on the tranny (HST for those not familiar with the RTV). It decreases the warm-up time.

Brian

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All I know is that I looked at my termometer this moring and it said "-1 F" so I figured it was broken. I drove to work, passed 2 banks that posted temperatures. One had "-2 F" and the other had "-1 F" and while I really like winter, snow and generally like cold, this is when I would prefer to sit inside by the fire with a hot Kaluaha & Coffee.

BoneheadNW

B_Skurka said:
One had "-2 F" and the other had "-1 F" and while I really like winter, snow and generally like cold, this is when I would prefer to sit inside by the fire with a hot Kaluaha & Coffee.
So if it is +2 degrees outside you would rather go to work? At what point do you say to yourself, "Hey, this beverage and relaxation in front of the fire just does not do it for me like that nice commute to work"?

Speaking of which, how long is your commute?

Bonehead

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My communte is 17 miles. About 25 minutes to work with light traffic. 35+ minutes on the way home as I drive home through some heavy traffic (and the way home can hit 1 hour on really bad days).

As for temperatures, I really like winter. Give me a day where there is 6+" of snow on the ground, sunshine, and temps in the mid-20's and I am pretty much in heaven.