• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Used Parts

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My wife's suburban got smacked the other night. Guy backed out of a parking spot and hit the suburban on the back side. Do over 4 grand damage. Door and back panel have to be replaced. Took the car for an estimate at one place and was $4200. Went to another place and he was over 5K. I told the more expensive guy he was high. He said it has a lot of do with how many used parts he had versus the other guy. I said what do you mean used parts. Yeah he said now anytime there is an insurance claim the insurance company makes the body shops find used parts first. I am not so sure I like that especially when I could get a door or side panel that has sat in water for a long time. He said they have no choice anymore. I know my existing products are used but I still don't think it is right to give me someone else's crap.

murph

BoneheadNW

Murph, I don't blame you! Did you check the story out with other body shops? I have never heard of such a thing. How can one be sure of the integrity of the used parts, as you have pointed out? Insurance companies are one step lower than lawyers!
Bonehead

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think it's been common practice for ages. One of the first distribution systems to get computerized was the salvage yards.

Depending on your insurer and how much you want to push back you may be able to lessen the amount of used stuff. The insurer should warrant the repairs so unless you are emotionaly attached to the vehicle I would stress over it too much.

Yes, it does suck.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
BoneheadNW said:
Murph, I don't blame you! Did you check the story out with other body shops?

Yeah, I went back to the original one and all of his parts were used. That is why he is a bit cheaper.

murph

JimR

Charter Member
If the vehicle is new, you can make them use new parts. If it is old, they use used parts if they are available.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Lets start off with the premise that everyone drives a car with used parts. The only difference is who's used parts that they are. The only time that the companies are required to used new parts is for the current model year cars and cars from the immediate past model year if they have less than 12K miles on them. This is what I was told by the insurance adjuster when I made a claim a few months ago. If used parts are not available, then they can use LKQ parts (like kind & quality = made by a third party usually in a third world factory). The trick is to accept the door, that is pretty standard part that isn't usually a problem, however, I would push for a new quarter panel. I can't see how they can reasonably use a used quarter panel when you consider the labor to clean the used part and fit it properly. There are also times that installing a partial quarter panel is better than replacing the entire panel. I would need to see the damage to know for certain. If you have collision coverage, you are better off dealing with your company than to deal with the other drivers insurance company. They have no reason to do anything for you to keep you happy. Also, have the car detailed before the insurance company looks at it. The cleaner the car looks, the better the $$$ for repair will be and the better the job the shop will do for you. If the car looks like a rat, they will not do as good a job, because they figure you to be a slob that doesn't care or know better. Also, make sure the insurance company knows in advance that you will not accept a mismatch of color, even if they have to paint the entire side. Be firm, but be calm and reasonable. If you back the adjuster into a corner, then you will not get anything from him. A good shop knows how to get additional $$ out of the insurance company by filing for supplemental payments for hidden damage. Make sure that the shop is one of your choosing, not the insurance companies. If it is the insurance companies shop, they will work to satisfy the insurance company, not you. Also if they use used parts, ask to inspect them before use to determine if they meet your quality standards. You don't want a door that has previous damage repair. If possible, try to locate the parts yourself and then go to look at them first. When my wife's car had someone back into the door, I found a replacement door that was even the right color. Same for the fender that I need to replace after I hit a deer this past fall. Factory matched colors are better than any paint shop can usually do. Metallic colors are the most difficult. Also ask the shop to give you a copy of there warranty for repairs before you drop off the car. Also let them know that you are very particular about your car and want it no less than perfect. Ask friends for recommendations as to shops and then visit them to see the quality of work. The better shops will have cars in progress and will be happy to give you a tour of the facility. If they give you the old insurance regulations won't allow that, forget them for a shop. They are trying to hide something. Also check with some of the better car dealers (i.e. Mercedes, Lexus, etc.) and see who they send there work to. I had a Mercedes Dealers body shop paint my 1964 Corvair. They would work on any car that didn't look like a rat dragged it in, even if it was only a year old. They are very particular about their work as much so as the customer.