• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FBI Raid: Mueller outsources the legal torment of Michael Cohen

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
FBI Raid: Mueller outsources the legal torment of Michael Cohen
Posted by William A. Jacobson Monday, April 9, 2018 at 9:00pm

https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/...e-legal-torment-of-michael-cohen/#more-246704

but that doesn’t mean it’s not part of Mueller’s Russian collusion inquisition

The FBI raid on the home and office of Donald Trump’s personal attorney Michael Cohen reportedly took place after a referral from Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

The search warrant apparently was obtained by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York.

Not much more than that is known as of this writing. There’s a lot of speculation and anonymously sourced reporting that it had to do with bank fraud, or the payment to Stormy Daniels, or something else. The seizure of records should have followed applicable procedures for searching an attorney’s office records to protect legitimate attorney-client privilege.

Regardless, seizing the records of the personal attorney to the president is extraordinary, and reflects a number of points I’ve been arguing since the day Robert Mueller was appointed.

The process of investigation is the reverse of what it should be. Mueller has identified the targets, being Trump and those around him, and then set out to find the crimes. Being near Trump means you will be subject to scrutiny to find a crime. In some cases that scrutiny may be minimal, in other cases, such as Paul Manafort, it could mean substantial criminal charges that likely never would have been brought but for Manafort being connected to Trump’s campaign for a relatively short time period.

That’s the context to understand what likely happened with Cohen. Assuming the reports are accurate that this was a referral from Mueller and did not originate with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, it means that Mueller subjected Cohen to scrutiny and found something. What that something is we don’t yet know. If it had to do with alleged Russian collusion, or even Russia, it’s likely Mueller would have kept the matter in his investigation, just as he did with Manafort’s Ukrainian connections.

That doesn’t mean Mueller wouldn’t find it helpful for his own investigation. It would be completely consistent (1) for Mueller to understand that whatever Cohen did or had, it was too far removed from Mueller’s appointment to justify Mueller’s team executing the warrant, and (2) Mueller finding it useful to have others in DOJ/FBI put the squeeze on Cohen to flip him against Trump.

Mueller is legally twisting Manafort’s arm so hard to flip him against Trump it may fall off, but will have to outsource the torment of Cohen to others.

As so much that has preceded it in the Russia collusion inquisition, this has the appearances of friends of James Comey and Andrew McCabe taking out whatever their agenda is on friends of Trump.

Unlike Obama, who took control of the DOJ/FBI apparatus, Trump is fighting for his presidency against the bureaucracy, as John Hinderaker observed:

The answer is that Trump and his appointees do not control the departments they ostensibly run. Liberals tell us that at DOJ, it is critically important that political appointees not interfere with the “career professionals” who do all the work. I say, bullshit. The “career professionals” are just Democratic Party lifers who have risen to the top of the bureaucracy, often by avoiding any actual, risky work. I’m not talking about FBI agents on the street, or the majority of Assistant U.S. Attorneys. (U.S. Attorneys, of course, are political appointees.) I’m talking about career bureaucrats like James Comey, Bob Mueller, Andy McCabe, and so on….

We are witnessing, as Scott [Johnson] says, “a political death struggle with the authorities operating under [President Trump’s] nominal control.” President Trump and his loyal appointees need to assert the powers that the voters have given them.”

We’ll learn more in coming weeks, but this brings to a head a seemingly intractable conflict: Donald Trump was duly elected president and there are a lot of people in the bureaucracy who still don’t accept that and want it over. Only one of them can win.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=KnaWOG88UjU"]Trump: Jeff Sessions made a terrible mistake - YouTube[/ame]

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bet Trump is Fuming. This sure is not over. What next?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I wish it was over.
I wish the whole freaking accusation, investigation attempt at annihilation bullshit daily political theater was OVER.
Trump may not be your run-of-the-mill President, but come on.
How much more of this is going to keep going on?
:neutral:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much more of this is going to keep going on?
:neutral:

I am afraid the left will never quit until Trump is out of office, one way or another. This is the new normal for our nation, thanks to Soros and others here.

This could end in mass violence I fear. I see no coming together now as a possibility.

This action by the FBI is the straw that will break a camels back I fear. The FBI is looking more partisan left wing than ever before. They just trashed any credibility they ever had with half of the American population, maybe more.

I hope this doesn't turn into "when the shit hits the fan".

But I am keeping my balls and powder dry in case Lol... :wink:

A nation so divided can not stand.

Regards, Kirk

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bet Trump is Fuming. This sure is not over. What next?

Trump fuming? I'm fuming. The notion that anyone can go on a fishing expedition in a lawyers office violates the entire legal process in this country.

Lawyer/client conversations are privileged.

Mueller needs to be fired. Every Obama holdover needs to be fired. Time to stop thus charade.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has just occurred to me that perhaps this is no coincidence, that Zuckerberg is going to testify in Congress tomorrow?

Could this FBI action be something to take the spotlight off that left wing idiot Zuckerberg?

These days you have to consider all the angles...

Regards, Kirk