• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Medical Unknown

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't posted much here in the last week, and haven't sent some PM's that I promised. Please believe that this was
not meant to slight anyone; I've been dealing with some troubling family stuff. Permit me to share a bit of
background information.

Jared, my youngest, was born with an unusual and amazing artistic talent. His handwriting was beautiful, and
he could draw wonderful pictures of the world around him. His forte, however, was in abstract work; he could paint
pure colors that were incredibly beautiful ...
and he accomplished all of this by the time he was six. Then, disaster struck. He was visiting his grandparents
in California, who had a Mexican quarry tile foyer. He discovered that he could slide really, really fast
across this surface in his socks; he did it once too often and hit his forehead, hard, on the door knob. He had a knot
on his forehead but the doctors could find no permanent damage. However, his handwriting was suddenly
unreadable, and his artistic talent was simply ... gone. From that time he had frequent headaches, which became
his constant daily companions. Over time he began to get occasional migraines, which slowly increased in
frequency and intensity, to the place where they were debilitating and forced him to give up his quest for
his Master's degree earlier this year. (Dragonfly Lady and I noticed that whenever he had one of these intense
migraines, the place on his forehead where he had hit the door knob 23 years ago would always swell like it had
then.) Over the years we took him to every sort of doctor, to no avail.

So much for background. Last Thursday afternoon Jared had what to all appearances was a grand mal seizure that
lasted for more than 20 minutes. He was transported to the ER but there were no more events. Eventually he was
stabilized and admitted. Still, no one could find the cause of the apparent seizures even though a CT scan,
MRI, and EEG were done. He was held one more night for observation and sent home on Saturday morning.
Saturday night, it happened again and once again we had an ambulance ride to the ER.
This time it was not as
bad, and he was released to return home early Sunday morning. Sunday night another episode and another
trip to the ER.
This time the seizure-like activity kept on happening and the ER staff could see for themselves
what we had been describing.
He had to be held down by four nurses and an intern just so they could draw a
blood sample. He was kept this time until Thursday morning when he was discharged. Since there were things
happening during these events that don't happen during seizures the hospital staff and neurologist don't think
they actually were seizures, but they also don't have a clue as to what they were. He has been referred to the KU
Medical Center in Kansas City, where they can do a 48 hour video EEG and perhaps get some answers. In the
meantime, Dragonfly Lady and I are not sleeping well and even our stress has developed stress!

It is my conviction that all of this is directly related to that closed head injury Jared suffered back on the quarry
tile when he was six. The progression of headaches, migraines, and now this "neurological event of unknown origin"
seem to me to be directly tied to that one accident ... especially since these pseudo-seizures produce that same
swelling on his forehead, in that exact same place.

I'll update this as information becomes available.

Lia

Banned
DS, I am so sorry to hear of your Son's condition, and for the stress that you and your wife are suffering due to these events. I can only wish you all some sense of peace and recovery very, very soon.

My thoughts are with you all at this time. Take care! :flowers:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Best of luck with this. May be time for more studies of his brain activity and another hospital to get different opinions.:flowers:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
My heart goes out to you! I don't know what I would do if my son or daughter had something of that magnitude for me to deal with as would any parent!

I hope that an answer is found for your son and a normal life can return to all.

Keep us updated!

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to here DS and my thoughts and prayers go out to you . From My understanding KU med center is one of the finest around so I hope they can get to the bottom of the problem soon. Please keep us updated.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You will be in my prayers . Please keep us updated as time allows .

Allen

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Best wishes DS. There is a lot of new research into head trauma in the NFL these days and they are finding that even minor non-concussion traumas can have serious implications down the road.

Pray for the best.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
best of luck DS - you, jarod, & drgonfly lady are in my thoughts and prayers.
and as Cowboy stated -- KU med center is GOOD at what they do - they have some of the finest neurologists in the country there.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Thoughts and prayers your way. I truly hope they get this figured out quick, and he can put all these headaches and migrains behind him.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck DS. We've been going through something similar here for 8 months that they say they can't explain. It's frustrating.

lowell

sorry to hear of your sons problems, hope the Dr. get to the bottom of his head trauma and that he will be better soon. Yall be in our thoughts and prayers