• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lag in movement when throttle pushed

me911

I have a 2100 that is slow to respond when the throttle is pressed. Motor is responsive as far as RPM but actual movement of the tracks is sluggish. Is this a transmission issue or a differential issue?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
If you have an automatic transmission, it may be low on fluid or your pressures are low to where the converter isn't being charged or the clutch packs aren't getting locked down.

me911

Yes it is an automatic. I was wondering if the brake bands could be out of adjustment? I am checking fluids today, also checking to see if the shifter cable needs to be adjusted.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, and I do NOT know the drive mechanism in that model, but is it hydraulic drive? If so then there is a pump that has to get up to speed after the engine gets up to speed. That may be part of the issue??? OTOH what foggy points out would be a likely cause if it is a mechanical drive mechanism.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Yes it is an automatic. I was wondering if the brake bands could be out of adjustment? I am checking fluids today, also checking to see if the shifter cable needs to be adjusted.

Couple of pics of it and the model of the trans would be helpfull, doubt the bands would be that issue, but there is always something new that hits the fan. When you chech the trans oil, smell it to see if it smells burnt or if it is really black instead of red.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Could be low on fluid, Wrong type of fluid used, Not checked properly IE either trans in park or neutral (read on dipstick how to check). You could also have a transmission leak. First thing you need to do is start the snowcat and let her warm up. After she warms up (with emergency brake engaged) shift between drive and nuetral. If there is a lagged between shftinginto drive and you feel the trans mission engage then you are low on fluid. If that is the case keep the unit running and place in park (with emegency brake still on) and pull the dipstick. Clean the dipstick and read how to check the fluid level on the dipstick. It will either be PARK or in NEUTRAL. If it say park then simply reinsert and pull out. Check level. If in NEUTRAL then shift trans into neutral (emergency brake still engaged) and re check dipstick. Add the proper transmission fluid if low. After the correct level is achieved (fill slowly and check often) go back and test the responsivness of the transmission. DO NOT RUN HER LOW on ATF FLUID! You will burn her up! Now after you know for a fact that she is properly full of fluid you need to watch and see if she has a leak. If she does there are a couple of quick fixes. One is to find some Lucas Transmission leak fix. This is a heavy weight trans fliud that also helps imporve shifting ect ect. These as said before are a tempoary fix at best. You will need to have the real problem fixed properly. BUT these products can get you through the rest of this season untill you have time to get it pulled and rebuilt. If you pull it to have new gaskets put in (cause of most leaks) then you might as well as have it rebuilt since she is already out. Thats my dimes worth of advice.

me911

ok thank you... I have the manual for the machine but it gets very vague in areas and we are brand new to the cat world. Going out to test her tomorrow I hope, just a short 1/2 mile loop a couple of times.

One more question what type of material is the crush washer on the master break cylinder caps. Seems to be aluminum but hard to tell. Manual states "gasket".

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
ok thank you... I have the manual for the machine but it gets very vague in areas and we are brand new to the cat world. Going out to test her tomorrow I hope, just a short 1/2 mile loop a couple of times.

One more question what type of material is the crush washer on the master break cylinder caps. Seems to be aluminum but hard to tell. Manual states "gasket".

Some are cork, aluminum or fiber... depends on who installed it or the manufacture. Wager Brake systems used all three at times.

As for the fluid level being low in the transmission, I would put a whole quarter down on being the gasket on your transmission pan is cork. After they set for some time and not running, they tend to dry out and fluid drips out over time which is why you were more than likely low. Course there could be cracked cooling lines and such, but the pan should be your first choice to check, just tighten them lightly...

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
If you do have a pan gasket leak just get a new one. You may need to get a filter kit which most likely wont fit (oil pick up) If thats the case just get the kit with a RUBBER gasket and use brake cleaner spray to clean out your old wire screen filter. Then reinstall everything with the new rubber gasket. Install all new fluid and watch for leaks. Someone had added a ton of stop leak in my transmission before I purchased my cat so when I changed the fluid and replaced the old gasket with a newer rubber one all my fluid drained out from the old gaskets. I had to add 2 quarts of Lucas trans stop leak to finally get it to stop bleeding out. My trans will be pulled and rebuilt this summer. Keep us posted!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
If you do pull the pan and change the gasket as SO suggested, look at the bolt holes on the pan, you will see they are pulled up when the bolts were last tightened. You need to put the bottom side on a piece of steel to where it covers the bolt hole from the bottom, then take a small hammer and tap the lip around the bolt hole down so it is flat with the pan lip again.

When you put everything back together, the pan will draw up evenly and not leak if done correctly. Course the Titanic was claimed to be totally unsinkable, and it sank on it's first trip...

Lot of help I am eh?

me911

Great, I do believe that the gasket leaks. I will try the Lucas fix just to get me through the season. Pushed to get referb done in time for March (high snow time in Colorado). next summer I will pull the motor and rebuild the tranny (the one thing we did not touch).

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Great, I do believe that the gasket leaks. I will try the Lucas fix just to get me through the season. Pushed to get referb done in time for March (high snow time in Colorado). next summer I will pull the motor and rebuild the tranny (the one thing we did not touch).

OK, but now that we have helped you solve your world's problems, we need to see some photos!:whistling:

me911

Here is one I have to convert the rest to be smaller

Attachments

• Big Foot 3-10 132.jpg
    Big Foot 3-10 132.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 178